Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Competition Tires » First Set of Wheels and Tires for New Car

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: First Set of Wheels and Tires for New Car
GuidoCatRx7

Icon 1 posted  Profile for GuidoCatRx7     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I just bought my 1992 that I plan on turning into a spec car over the next year. During the build I plan on getting to know the car through autox events.

I found these as an attractive solution for my first set of wheels and tires from tirerack:

15x7 MOTEGI RACING SP10 Black Painted
205/50R15 Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec

The offset on the wheels is 42mm which I know is a little higher than the widest track the car can take but I have a few reasons for this.

I want something that I can throw on the car with no risk of touching suspension/steering parts and no risk of rubbing on body panels.

I'd like my first set of wheels to fit without issue while I build my suspension and perform alignment and ride height adjustments without any worrying about clearence.

So, in conclusion, whattya think?

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Sounds like a waste of money to me. A quick google showed those wheels are only 12.5 lbs so if you want to use them for SM later, youíre out of luck. 4x100 is the same size most tuners use, most donít want a 15x7, so resale value will be minimal.

You could buy 35mm offset wheels, and Iím almost certain have no issue with rubbing and add spacers later if you want more track width. Iíve used about one degree of negative camber with 30mm offset and no rubbing issues before I had any kind of setup. You could spend a couple minutes rolling your fenders, and use whatever offset you want down to 25mm. That for about the same price or less than youíre looking at for wheels you can use now and later.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

GuidoCatRx7

Icon 1 posted  Profile for GuidoCatRx7     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

14.5lbs, I made sure to find wheels that were over the minimum 13.5lbs.

Same question, anyone else?

GuidoCatRx7

sorry minimum of 13lbs...

Mike Colangelo Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: NWR
Car #: 37
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike Colangelo     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

+1 to what Keith said. Buy SM legal wheels.

For autocross, track days, and street driving, the Star Specs are excellent tires.

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike Colangelo     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by GuidoCatRx7:
14.5lbs, I made sure to find wheels that were over the minimum 13.5lbs.

Same question, anyone else?

Then I guess they should be OK, if not a bit on the heavy side for SM. The +42mm offset is a bit high, I'd get something around 30-38mm or so or at least run a 5mm spacer (is that legal?). There's a reason you see so many SM racers running the same wheels. Take that as a hint on what wheels to buy.

Greg Kimble Verified Driver

Region: CFR
Car #: 81
Year : 1994
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Greg Kimble     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Why spend money twice? get a set of wheels that will be useful when you race, get either a 25 or 30 mm offset. There are many brands of wheels that fit the bill, but as Keith said make sure they weigh very near the 13 lb min. If the wheels you are looking at are 14.5 lbs, you would be legal, but would be better off with a wheel closer to the min weight. Look at the Team Dynamics wheels for instance, weigh just over the 13lbs and the price is reasonable. We use the Pro Race 1.2 and have been very happy with them. It would be a good idea to get used to the tires you will be racing on. At this time that is a Toyo RA-1. You should be able to get a set of TD 1.2's and 4 RA-1's at a reasonable price.

Greg

GuidoCatRx7

Maybe I'm concerned about a problem that doesn't exist. The reason for the higher offset is so that I can experiment with all sorts of camber and height adjustments without worrying about clearance issues.

Also, cost is important. The wheels are super cheap and the reason for the Star Specs is because they are also super cheap and I expect to burn off a few sets autocrossing before the car makes it all the way to Spec status.

GuidoCatRx7

Also, to Gregg...

Is a 42mm offset really worthless compared to the 30mm?

Greg, RA-1s aren't that good of a tire for autocross events like he says he'll be running in the near term. They won't be grippy enough at the temps that he'll see in a 60 second run (50 seconds if you're Steve Hui). Dunlop Star Specs and Falken Azenis are much better tires for this purpose and they're much cheaper, too.

Kyle Keenan Verified Driver
Pass right

Region: OR, NWR
Car #: 44
SMIM: AIM: KKRProducts
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kyle Keenan   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I've auto-x'ed on RA-1's and it wasnt that bad, then again I havent driven on much other tires so my word isnt valid.

TR Motorsport (On tire rack) should have a wheel that's $89 and in either 30mm offset or 25mm offset. It's an SM specific wheel and an awesome bang for the buck. You should not have much problems with fender rubbing.

--------------------
Driver, #44 Spec Miata
ColdTrackDays.com

Greg Kimble Verified Driver

Region: CFR
Car #: 81
Year : 1994
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Greg Kimble     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

IMO if you were selling those wheels used, I would not be interested. You could, as mentioned earlier use spacers (about 1/2" thick) with them to increase the track width of the car. But now you have purchased spacers and per the Miatacage website, they are $165/set.

Just my 2 cents

Greg

W. Bonsell

Region: NWR/Oregon
Car #: #26
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for W. Bonsell     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I have to agree with Kyle regarding RA-1's vs any other "street tire" for autoxing or track day activities. I have always run faster on RA-1's than streets, regardless of the tread depth. There are certainly much better R compound tires for auto crossing. i.e. Hoosiers, but hard to beat the RA-1 as a great all around performance tire. IMO, of course!

I also have the TR Motorsport 30 mm 15x7 wheels from Tire Rack and for the money they are pretty hard to beat, and nice looking too. Haven't had any issues on the track, but fortunately have only had a couple of easy offs....

Bill

--------------------
William Bonsell
SCCA/ICSCC #26
SM/ITA

Todd Green Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Utah
Car #: 55
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Todd Green   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:

I also have the TR Motorsport 30 mm 15x7 wheels from Tire Rack and for the money they are pretty hard to beat, and nice looking too. Haven't had any issues on the track, but fortunately have only had a couple of easy offs....[/QB]

+1 for the 30mm C1M's @ $89 a pop. My car took a pretty good hit right on the front fender/wheel at my last race and besides a very small deformation on the lip, kept on spinning for the race with no vibration (once the tire self-cleared on the fender [Wink] ) and hasn't lost any air 5 days later. Seem to do fine running over the curbs as well.

Also TR got the wheel/tire mounted and shipped overnight (Reno -> SLC) for the price of ground. [thumbsup]

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I guess my first google result was wrong at 12.5.

Still, you can get a good SM wheel for little money, and not have to worry about rubbing.

If you're that concerned about rubbing, spend a few minutes and just roll the fenders. It won't destroy the car and will save ruining a nice tire once you start playing with larger offset and realize...yup..time to roll the fenders.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

GuidoCatRx7

Thanks for all the good info so far...

1) I'm still most interested in maximum flexibility in suspension settings.

2) I would like to keep the car road legal and stock looking until I get closer to the point that I will be going spec, which may or may not actually happen. So I really don't want to roll my fenders until absolutely necessary.

So my question remains, is the 42mm offset completely worthless? Is the difference between 35mm and 42mm really that extreme? And is a 14.5lb wheel really all that different from a 13lb wheel?

Keep in mind that I am years away from standing on a podium.

Thanks again for the info.

Ron

George Munson Verified Driver

Region: 83
Car #: 127
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for George Munson     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

GuidoCatRx7, with all due respect you keep asking the same question hoping to get a different answer. The answers given are good ones. You can go your way but when you do you will have a less desirable set to go "Club" racing with. Not only are you talking about the weight of the wheels but the spacers too. Not to mention the load on the studs with that thick of a spacer. You will fine in SM racing every little thing matters and more tiny things you have that are not perfect the farther it puts you away from the front.

Just Trying To Help [thumbsup]

PedalFaster Verified Driver

Region: Northwest
Car #: 86
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for PedalFaster     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by George Munson:
GuidoCatRx7, with all due respect you keep asking the same question hoping to get a different answer. The answers given are good ones.

Took the words right out of my mouth. If you want to buy those wheels, buy those wheels, but don't delude yourself into thinking you'll be saving money in the long run if your eventual goal is a Spec Miata build.

--------------------
Stephen Hui - '95 SM #86, Northwest / Oregon Region SCCA

Muda Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
ComingToAMirrorNearYou

Region: WDC
Car #: #23
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Muda     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

You could always use those wheels for rains. [Wink]

--------------------
Muda Motorsports
"We're all here 'cause we're not all there."

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: