Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Competition Tires » Run 205/50/15 RA1's on OEM 15x6 wheels?

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Run 205/50/15 RA1's on OEM 15x6 wheels?
TR6

Region: Southwest
Car #: 500
Year : 2002
Icon 1 posted  Profile for TR6     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

My son just bought a 1990 miata for DE with a plan to eventually finish building it out to SM (it is halfway done). The car is still street legal and he will drive it to the track. His only set of wheels right now are the OEM 99+ 15x6 wheels. Can he run the spec 205/50/15 RA1's on them without any problems due to the width of the tire? Meanwhile I'm trying to find him an extra set of cheap 15x7 SM wheels. I have found two of the older style Team Dynamic "Ben Hurr" wheels (with protruding spokes) but need to find two more to make a complete set for him.

--------------------
Greg H.
2002 red Miata #500
Denton, Texas

Kyle Keenan Verified Driver
Pass right

Region: OR, NWR
Car #: 44
SMIM: AIM: KKRProducts
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kyle Keenan   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

A racer here in the NW has his rains mounted on his OEM 99+ wheels, and hasnt had any major problems with doing so!

--------------------
Driver, #44 Spec Miata
ColdTrackDays.com

NER88 Verified Driver

Region: ner
Car #: 88
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for NER88     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I have to run 15X6 oem wheels on my SSB Miata.
The 205/50/15 Toyos work and fit just fine but they are not legal for SM.
You don't have to match the TD wheels as long as the other two wheels have the same offset.

--------------------
Jerry

Ron Alan Made Donation to Website

Region: SF
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Ron Alan     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by NER88:
I have to run 15X6 oem wheels on my SSB Miata.
The 205/50/15 Toyos work and fit just fine but they are not legal for SM.
You don't have to match the TD wheels as long as the other two wheels have the same offset.

To clarify...the 205's fit fine on the 6". The problem for SM is they are to light I believe...must be 13 lbs min.

--------------------
-RA

"Happy birthday, I didn't get you a present...Oh, mom got you one? Well, that's from me then too, unless it's shitty."
9:52 AM Sep 14th, 2009 via web
http://twitter.com/shitmydadsays

Joe Specht

Region: BMR
Car #: 236
Year : 83
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Joe Specht   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The recommended rim width for the 205/50R15 Toyo RA1 is 5.5 to 7.5. The tire is fine on a 6" wide wheel. To race in Spec Miata the wheel must be 15X7 and at least 13 lb, also I believe that all 4 wheels must be of the same type and offset.
For a DE it doesn't matter what you use.
Joe
TreadZone

TR6

Region: Southwest
Car #: 500
Year : 2002
Icon 1 posted  Profile for TR6     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thanks everyone, it sounds like it will work fine. He will just be DE'ing the car for a while. He is a fresh college graduate with no real money to speak of but has already become addicted to the track! His plan is to buy a set of full tread RA1's and run them on the 15x6 wheels for HPDE and also use them to drive to and from the track. As I mentioned, in the meantime I am scrounging around for some used SM wheels (I've already found a pair of the older TD wheels with 30mm offset).

Joe, I'm pointing him to Treadzone for the tires. You guys do a great job and I've been very pleased with your service on the tires I've gotten from you.

--------------------
Greg H.
2002 red Miata #500
Denton, Texas

Kyle Burkhardt

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kyle Burkhardt     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I plan to run stock 99s on my SM til I have the funds for new wheels.

miata.net lists them at 13.1, and we weighed one last week to confirm that they were 13+.

As to width, as I understand it, 7 inch is not required, its just the max, so there should be no reason I can't run 6's. I'm in NASA if that matters.

--------------------
Kyle Burkhardt
NASA Midwest
#12 SM

rmgroth Series Champ

Icon 1 posted  Profile for rmgroth     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Kyle Burkhardt:

miata.net lists them at 13.1, and we weighed one last week to confirm that they were 13+.

As to width, as I understand it, 7 inch is not required, its just the max, so there should be no reason I can't run 6's. I'm in NASA if that matters.

The NASA rules state that 7inch is the maximum, so you are fine on 6's but you will probably be giving up some grip.

The TRMotorsports wheels are only $75 each and hold up well.

--------------------
Ryan Groth
#52 SM
NASA Midwest Series Director

Kyle Burkhardt

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kyle Burkhardt     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The MW SM GP ("Grand Pubah") has spoken!

Dude, I'm still selling off spare parts to buy a seat for the car. I don't have the $$$ for new wheels!

Plus, I always build into my cars a built in excuse. Usually two or three.

--------------------
Kyle Burkhardt
NASA Midwest
#12 SM

John Hammer Palazzolo Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
I'm not slow, I'm maximizing my track time!

Region: NASA SE
Car #: 88
Year : '90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for John Hammer Palazzolo   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I've run for years on a 15x6.5 wheel & it was just fine...and legal, if not optimal.

--------------------
John "Hammer" Palazzolo

Automotive Event Facilitator
Performance Driving Instructor
JohnHammer.org
877.HEY.0005

motorrock

Region: DC Region
Icon 1 posted  Profile for motorrock     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by rmgroth:
quote:
Originally posted by Kyle Burkhardt:

The NASA rules state that 7inch is the maximum, so you are fine on 6's but you will probably be giving up some grip.

The TRMotorsports wheels are only $75 each and hold up well.

The TR Motorsports Spec Miata wheel is $89.

--------------------
philstireservice.com
philstireservice@aol.com

Will Dodd

Region: NE Ohio
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Will Dodd   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

It sounds like I'm in the exact same position as your son. I graduated college in '08 and now that I have a steady source of income my dad and I have been doing increasingly more HPDE's each summer.

But in any case, I run 205 Hoosier R6s on the 99+ wheel and it works just fine.

Next year though I'm planing on going with 949Racing 6UL 15x7.5 w/ 205s as street/STS autocross tires and for the track some SM wheels with RA1's. I'm looking forward to seeing what the different is.

JC-MX5

Region: NASA Florida
Car #: 33
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for JC-MX5   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by rmgroth:
[QUOTE]The TRMotorsports wheels are only $75 each and hold up well.

From where?

--------------------
Josh Chaney
Future Rookie/Build in progress...

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: