Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » SMulators » Good game for an old computer

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Good game for an old computer
dpspeed

Region: ccr
Car #: n/a
Year : n/a
Icon 1 posted  Profile for dpspeed     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Hey guys,

I do not have time for online gaming, wish I could fit it in...

However, I would like to get a nice sim for use with my computer. 800 mhz, Pent. III 128MB memory and just upgraded to a Radeon 128 graphics card.

I know its not the fastest thing in town by any means, but what games will work well and where the heck would I aquire them?

I would prefer sports cars. I have F1 by EA sports, but would prefer a sports car based game.

I also need to get a good controller with some type of sensitivity settings. I would love to get a steering wheel, but I don't have anywhere to mount it now.

THanks for the help!

Dave

--------------------
94M New Miata-Tein Basic, Panasports, Azenis, Ultrashield, RB bar, HDHCHT
street/track car

http://miata.cardomain.com/id/dpspeed

hrk Verified Driver

Region: SE
Icon 1 posted  Profile for hrk     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Try Viper racing.

Free to download and should run well with your machine.
Go to http://members.shaw.ca/nhra/
And make your way from there.

They hav fun online games in evenings too, too bad I haven't been able to join lately.

hrk

Buelligan Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: WDC
Car #: 05
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Buelligan     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Goto http://www.bhmotorsports.com and grab the 2004 GPL demo. It came out in '98, should run on your machine, and is STILL considered one of the best sims even today! The 2004 demo is a collection of all the graphics mods/updates in one package. Sorry but they are 1967 F1 cars but the feel is top notch. Yes you do need a wheel though. Look on ebay for the Logitech MOMO wheel (the red one) best wheel for the money. That site has a list of many great games new and old so look around.

--------------------
Mike Monaghan
#05 SSM
"BUELL" The Original STREETFIGHTER

dpspeed

Icon 1 posted  Profile for dpspeed     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thanks guys,

I probably should have made myself more clear. This game will be played on my computer at work. We have a lot of downtime and I can sneak a short race in here and there...therefore, I want to be a little more low profile than a steering wheel mounted to my desk...lol

Thanks

Dave

--------------------
street/track car

smtejas Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Icon 1 posted  Profile for smtejas     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by dpspeed:
therefore, I want to be a little more low profile than a steering wheel mounted to my desk...lol
Dave

[rolling on floor laughin] [rolling on floor laughin]
At work. Now that's a setting that would be hard to implement. Joystick my friend. Old school way.

Or, you could consider putting a quick release on your street Miatas steering system, attach your controller hardware, jack up the front end, and then just roll the entire car into your cubicle at work during lunch and let her rip. Wear a headset and humm engine noises. Maybe do your normal work inside the car. How's that for low key?

hell. roll it in the company break room, slap some company logos on the fender, and they may sponsor you with a raise and some racing cash.

just a thought [tipsy]

You are officially addicted my friend. good luck. don't get fired [Smash] in the process of simming!

Don

dpspeed

Or, you could consider putting a quick release on your street Miatas steering system, attach your controller hardware, jack up the front end, and then just roll the entire car into your cubicle at work during lunch and let her rip. Wear a headset and humm engine noises. Maybe do your normal work inside the car. How's that for low key?

hell. roll it in the company break room, slap some company logos on the fender, and they may sponsor you with a raise and some racing cash.

just a thought [tipsy]

You are officially addicted my friend. good luck. don't get fired [Smash] in the process of simming!

Don [/QB][/QUOTE]

Quick release, great idea! [thumbsup]

A co-worker is already playing one of the military games...I figured I could sneak a couple races in...

I was hoping that someone made a handheld controller that had a sensitivity setting on the buttons so that I can "roll on/off" gas/brake pedals. My ps2 controller has this feature and was sure that someone made a controller similar.

Anyway, I guess I will either stick to Tiger Woods or find a good handheld controller.

Dave

--------------------
street/track car

smtejas Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Icon 1 posted  Profile for smtejas     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

This is what you need. Something
like a RC car controller.

-

dpspeed

Sweet! Will I shave any time if I have a super hopped up servo and electric motor?!

I wish they made a controller like that, it would make turning smoother and on/off gas/brake smoother. THey used to make those for ps, but I heard they weren't very precise. Oh well...

Dave

--------------------
street/track car

Dusty Bottoms Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
99 all the way!

Region: Lone Star
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dusty Bottoms     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Dave, you need this:
http://www.realrace.com/controller.html

You can buy the controller and an RC game for $50.

--------------------
"Your victory is tainted! Asterisk! Asterisk!!!"--Lisa Simpson

Dusty Bottoms Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
99 all the way!

Region: Lone Star
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dusty Bottoms     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Oh yeah, another good game for an old computer is FIA Sportscar GT or something like that. You can pick up copies for $10 these days. Also, the EA Sports F1 has LOTS of mods including for sports cars.

--------------------
"Your victory is tainted! Asterisk! Asterisk!!!"--Lisa Simpson

dpspeed

*Update*

I found my old copy of F1 2002 and the old copy of the GT RACING mods. I thought they were long gone...

Got a new 128MB video card and the game looks great! My analog control works ok, but not great. I think I also need a little more memory (total is only about 256MB right now).

Well, thanks for the help.

Dave

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: