Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » SMulators » Personal Racing Simulators

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Personal Racing Simulators
Waterboy Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: WDC
Car #: 15
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Waterboy     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Does anyone have or ever used a personal racing simulator besides the pc ones? I have checked into some through Virtual GT. They seem like they would work well but are definitely pricey.

Does anyone know if personal simulators can also being connected to the net to race against others?

--------------------
Tim Jacobs
Montgomery Irrigation

tony senese Verified Driver
Phew, that was close!

Car #: 99
Year : 1994
Icon 1 posted  Profile for tony senese   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I am in Calif. on business, and just scheduled a demo for tommorrow morning with virtual gt. I'll let you know what I find out!

Tony Senese
SM#99

BTW, talking on the phone, they do have miata software.

--------------------
Tony Senese
SM#99
2008 NASA-NE SM Champion
NASA-NE SM Director
2008 PRO-IT SM 3rd place
http://www.nosenseyet.com/coppermine

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Waterboy     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Awesome. Definitely let me know what you think. I have not spoken with them but have reviewed it on the website. Looks like a blast.

--------------------
Tim Jacobs
Montgomery Irrigation

MFJackson Verified Driver

Region: WDCR
Car #: 55
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for MFJackson     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Tim-
I'm definitely no expert on the subject, but I think that Virtual GT still uses GTR or GTR2 (which are both PC games). A much much cheaper option would be to buy a "regular" sim chassis with a seat of your choice, a Logitech G25 wheel/pedal set (includes gated shifter), a computer, screen, and speakers of your choice. You could probably build an amazing setup for 1/3rd the cost of Virtual GT.

--------------------
Matt Jackson
#55 SSM
MEATHEAD Racing
www.meatheadracing.com

Unsafe Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Team Saferacer

Region: Kansas City
Car #: 70
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Unsafe     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Waterboy,
I know an MX-5 racer that has a used Virtual GT for sale for about half the price of new...PM if you're interested.

--------------------
Mike Asselta
http://www.saferacer.com

Buelligan Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Car #: 05
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Buelligan     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Hey Tim I'm with Matt. Have you driven any PC stuff? Ask Matt about my setup it could easily be put into a Virtual chassis and work very well. Matt was had a blast the one time he tried it. If you want to try it, your welcome to come on over and try my setup and go from there. I have all of the lastest sims, GTL,GTR,GTR2 and the classic but awesome GPL! Just PM me and Ill give you my number. I have the MOMO wheel and pedal setup but the G25 that Matt mentioned would be better.

--------------------
Mike Monaghan
#05 SSM
"BUELL" The Original STREETFIGHTER

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Buelligan     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Tim,
Gee, I've never seen the Virtual GT. Just looked at the website. Looks cool but you don't need $12,000 worth of CNC machined billet chassis to get the same enjoyment! The system uses the same equipment I have, except the wheel. The wheel on the site looks like the G25 Matt and I are talking about. The programs are the same and its run by a PC. You can get a decent PC for about $2,500-$4,000 and build the rest for way under $8,000 total! $16,000 for a system without the monitor is crazy unless you have a lot of disposable income.

OOPS I'll eat a little crow, I read alot more about the setup than the glance I took this morning and its alot more than what I originally thought but still is way too much money for most! The wheel in the controls page is the exact same wheel I have without the extensive console. Definately a very cool machine though.

--------------------
Mike Monaghan
#05 SSM

quote:
Originally posted by Buelligan:
Hey Tim I'm with Matt. Have you driven any PC stuff? Ask Matt about my setup it could easily be put into a Virtual chassis and work very well. Matt was had a blast the one time he tried it. If you want to try it, your welcome to come on over and try my setup and go from there. I have all of the lastest sims, GTL,GTR,GTR2 and the classic but awesome GPL! Just PM me and Ill give you my number. I have the MOMO wheel and pedal setup but the G25 that Matt mentioned would be better.

Thanks for all the information everyone. Mike I send PM.

--------------------
Tim Jacobs
Montgomery Irrigation

Jim Daniels

Icon 1 posted    Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

http://www.bobearlracing.com/

build from there

Mark Drennan Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Champion - '08 SOPAC / '07 SFR

Region: SFR & CalClub
Car #: Various
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mark Drennan     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Jim Daniels:
http://www.bobearlracing.com/

build from there

Hate to say it but that one looks like a POS. Especially compared to this one my buddy recently bought...
http://www.playseat.com/
http://www.amazon.com//Playseats-Evolution-Gamin...00O00JE8/ref=pd_rhf_p_t_1

Very solid and highly adjustable.

-MD

tony senese Verified Driver
Phew, that was close!

Car #: 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for tony senese   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Well, the Virtual GT guy flaked out, guess I have to wait till next time I am out here.

Tony Senese
SM #99

--------------------
Tony Senese
SM#99
2008 NASA-NE SM Champion
NASA-NE SM Director
2008 PRO-IT SM 3rd place
http://www.nosenseyet.com/coppermine

http://www.myhomesimulator.com
Look at this etup it is a little more reasonable than VGT

--------------------
Mike Monaghan
#05 SSM

J.C. Kester

Icon 1 posted  Profile for J.C. Kester   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

If you are interested in an extremely realistic simulator then I have to recommend the Virtual Concept Simulator. (vcsims.com)

***Obviously nothing is the same as the real thing, but this one is truly unique and has some pretty cool features.***

I know they are at alot of trade shows giving demos of there various different models. Or, if you are at any of the 2009 Star Mazda races, there is a simulator available for testing there as well.

The best thing about them is that they are in the same price range as the virtual gt sims but come with alot more. After trying a virtual gt you will notice that they are more like an arcade game than anything else.

Ok, Ok, i know after reading all that it sounds like I am a salesman for them but i'm not. They do let me drive their sim at all the Star Mazda races though so, yes, I might be a little biased [Smile] Don't blame me...you would be too!

Colin MacLean Verified Driver
Fly Fifer

Region: Atlanta
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Colin MacLean     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I have the Bob Earl setup and it's excellent. Well worth the money and rock solid.

--------------------
Colin MacLean
Flyin' MacLean Motorsports

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: