Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » SMulators » New to SIM's and Racing on-line...

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: New to SIM's and Racing on-line...
KevinS

Region: Arizona
Car #: #42
Icon 1 posted  Profile for KevinS     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm new to racing on-line & SIM's racing. I would like to get started, and was looking for some tips. Which is better-Xbox, playstation or PC racing? Also, is there any spec miata or MX-5 racing?

Monkeywrench

Region: SJR
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Monkeywrench     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

PC racing.

I believe there is a MX-5 Cup mod for GTR2 and RFactor. I don't know how good they are.

I really think the best out there at the moment is Live For Speed.

--------------------
-Bob Adams

Buelligan Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: WDC
Car #: 05
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Buelligan     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

PC RULES!!

GTR2 is one of the best right now. But there are a few others, Live for speed is supposed to be good and have alot of mods. Also there is R-Factor. There is a SIM forum here just take a look through there.

The wheel to have for the money right now is the Logitech G-25, has a clutch pedal and a 6 speed gated shifter that can also be a sequential. Has paddle shifters too.

--------------------
Mike Monaghan
#05 SSM
"BUELL" The Original STREETFIGHTER

Dusty Bottoms Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
99 all the way!

Region: Lone Star
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dusty Bottoms     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The MX-5 Cup mod for GTR2 is nice. I like it so far, but I'm having a hard time with off-throttle oversteer after a few laps. Even racing against the computer is a blast and very challenging.

Did anybody ever bother setting up another server? I paid 3 months of it and nobody used it.

--------------------
"Your victory is tainted! Asterisk! Asterisk!!!"--Lisa Simpson

KevinS

Region: Arizona
Car #: #42
Icon 1 posted  Profile for KevinS     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

thanks guys. thats perfect! I just bought a new Dell PC with a 24" LCD monitor, 2G RAMM, 160G HD, 256M video... also thanks for the wheel & pedal info, that was going to be my next question...

Cajun Miata Man Verified Driver
Overdog Driver

Region: Houston; SWDIV
Car #: 15
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Cajun Miata Man     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Antonio,

I also have GTR2 (so does Jeff M) and wouldn't mind racing you all on-line some.

--------------------
James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA
powered by:
East Street Racing, Memphis TN
set up guru:
Gilfus Racing, Austin TX

99 all the way!

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dusty Bottoms     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Alright, one of you want to host? Maybe Jason can setup one of his umpteen computers as a host. He knows how to set it up secure. I'm too paranoid to open up ports on my router.

--------------------

Jason Holland Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Mediocrity rules!

Region: SouthEast
Car #: 28
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jason Holland   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I can look into this just after the holidays. Need to get lamb involved. He trounced me with ps3 games today. I need revenge.

--------------------
Jason Holland
Semi-interested civilian

smtejas Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Icon 1 posted  Profile for smtejas     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

We need a server over the winter for sure.
I went over to my old friend Dano's house last night and we raced on two linked machines. Paul Ricard, GTR2, BMW's.

I keep reading about Road Atlanta for GTR2 somewhere online, but all the links are dead ends. We have loaded Lime Rock, Road America, Laguna and a few other American tracks.

Here's a link for tracks below. Be aware that you are limited to 100megs download each day. So grab the tracks you like the most first or you will be bummed-out waiting. You must register with the sight.

http://www.nogripracing.com/files.php?subcat=46

Jason, we need Ventrillo. That way I can haze/bash and verbally abuse you again! That's half the fun. No seriously, it helps coordinate starts and stuff. *and I promise not to abuse anyone [yep] [Big Grin] *

Don

99 all the way!

Don you don't abuse people on Ventrillo, you abuse on the track. Then you spend the rest of the time apologizing to JD. [rolling on floor laughin]

--------------------

Jim Boemler Verified Driver
Veteran Member

Region: NWR, OR
Car #: 30
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jim Boemler     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Beyond "the biggest baddest PC ever built", what's the ideal driving-game PC look like? How much memory is needed, what video cards work best? Which processors work best? And if things aren't optimum, what falls apart?

Yes, I'm thinking about building a sim system, with a PC dedicated to it.

jim (see what happens when you have a spare racing seat?)

--------------------
Just a clown

David de Regt Verified Driver

Region: NWR
Car #: 47/479
Icon 1 posted  Profile for David de Regt   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Jim:

If you already have a decent TV, I'd suggest using that as the monitor for whatever PC you build. From there, most of the PC racing games aren't horribly graphically intensive. Any 150$ video card should be more than fine. My current sim rig hooks up to my 1080p TV, and it has a Radeon 9700 Pro (5 year old video card - fastest video card made 5 years ago, but still 5 years old), and it works like butter for all of the games mentioned above. So, you can either build your own, or buy a cheap dell/HP box from online or costco, and as long as it doesn't just have built-in on-motherboard video (make sure it's on an addin card) it'll be more than satisfactory.

-

--------------------
My Spec Miata Build Sheet - Hope people find it useful
 -

Mike
Memphis PC Guy

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Everyone should consider Xbox360's and Forza 2. They recently added Road America .. and has Laguna Seca, Sebring, Road Atlanta. The steering wheel is fairly decent, built in Voice over IP and never a problem getting online and racing. It's technical enough to be considered a "simulator" but the cost of the console, software etc. make it more appealing to more people.

Granted, PC SIMS do tend to be more "realistic", but we have yet to be able to get a server going with any real following behind it. They usually get raced on for a week or two tops and then dead. Xbox 360 has the friends list, http://www.specforza.com running competition series etc. at at HDTV resolutions looks as good as any PC these days.

Just a thought.

--------------------
Mike
Memphis PC Guy
http://memphispcguy.com
http://www.mazdaracers.com

Veteran Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jim Boemler     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thanks David. I will hopefully soon have a surplus 36" TV, after going wide-screen for the "real" home TV. I was figuring to use the old TV for gaming, so Karen could watch the big TV at the same time.

Thanks for the advice on PCs, though. Do you figure even the NVidia on-board chipset (on an Acer desktop) would be inadequate for driving sims? The NVidia guys seem very proud of it (sorry I don't have the chip number handy).

jim

--------------------
Just a clown

Jon Pressman Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
..driver for hire..

Region: WDC
Car #: 87
SMIM: racerJRP
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jon Pressman     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thats awesome!! What setup is it? (wheel, shifter, pedals). I picked up GTR2 over last summer but it is pretty tricky to play with the keyboard haha. Whenever I get my stuff together id be down for some SM Sim action.

--------------------
SSM #87 MARRS
--2007 ARRC SSM Champion--

Windsorcustoms.com

Icon 1 posted  Profile for David de Regt   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

It's the Logitech G25. Can be had for around 180-200 online, depending on sales. Definitely the best sub-1000$ wheel setup out there - works for PS2/PS3 too.

Some of the newer onboard stuff is decent, but that's the best I can say for it. There's not really any harm in trying it out. Is the TV that you're going to use HD or are you just going to be using basic SVIDEO? You could always try using the onboard and if it's too slow buy a 150$ addin card.

--------------------
 -

quote:
Originally posted by Mike:
Everyone should consider Xbox360's and Forza 2. They recently added Road America .. and has Laguna Seca, Sebring, Road Atlanta. The steering wheel is fairly decent, built in Voice over IP and never a problem getting online and racing. It's technical enough to be considered a "simulator" but the cost of the console, software etc. make it more appealing to more people.

Granted, PC SIMS do tend to be more "realistic", but we have yet to be able to get a server going with any real following behind it. They usually get raced on for a week or two tops and then dead. Xbox 360 has the friends list, http://www.specforza.com running competition series etc. at at HDTV resolutions looks as good as any PC these days.

Just a thought.

Yeah, I just picked up Forza 2 and the wheel a few months ago, and have that wheel mounted to my setup most of the time these days. It's definitely the best simulation of basic street cars on a track that I've played yet. I haven't done a whole lot of GTR2 or LFS yet, but both of their simulation models seemed to be almost absurdly tailhappy. Now, that certainly could be error between driver and steering wheel, but meh. [Smile] Forza 2's been where I'm spending all my time until GT5 comes out, then we'll have to see. ;-)

--------------------
 -

Veteran Member

quote:
Originally posted by David de Regt:
Is the TV that you're going to use HD or are you just going to be using basic SVIDEO? You could always try using the onboard and if it's too slow buy a 150$ addin card.

TV is S-Video, 4:3 CRT. The computer I have in mind doesn't have any expansion capability, so adding a card is out. But I do have another one already, so I can try it out. Mostly I was planning to build a setup somewhat like yours, and wanted to allow for only as much PC as I really needed.

jim

--------------------
Just a clown

If you're just going to be running SVIDEO anyway, you're basically limited to 480i, so you can just drop the resolution on the computer super low and it should be decently quick. Might as well give it a shot, anyway. =)

--------------------
 -

Veteran Member

Is there any point in waiting for new wheels to come out? The G25 looks great, but I seem to remember Microsoft was about to come out with a new one as well. Chances are good that I won't be able to really PLAY for a while.

jim

--------------------
Just a clown

I wasn't aware of MS releasing one, but that doesn't mean a whole lot. I know the G25 is the cat's meow of consumer-level wheels right now, but that's about it. I know I like it a lot and it'll work with any game on a PC or a sony system. It's also a higher end piece of hardware than MS usually makes, so even if MS made a new wheel, it's unlikely it'd be of the same caliber.

That all said, try googling around a bit and see if you can find anything about it, but if I needed to buy a new wheel in the near future, there's no reason why I wouldn't buy a G25 right now.

--------------------
 -

Lance Snyder Made Donation to Website
Administrator

Region: Atlanta
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Lance Snyder     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

When it comes to video chances are onboard maynot cut it.... try it first then see.

For video card I'd highly recommend ATI 3850 or 3870, 3870 is faster but more pricy, 3850 can be had in 256 or 512M video RAM configuration. 3850 256M is 190ish I think, you can goto http://www.pricewatch.com , select video cards and see for sure. One of the best deals out there right now with bang for the buck.

RAM is so dirt cheap right now 2GB will only set you back 45 bucks for value RAM DDR2.

--------------------
All this has happened before, and will happen again

Icon 1 posted  Profile for smtejas     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Jim,

Email me and lets swap phone numbers. I've been doing this for a decade plus and the machines we make helps put food on the table here. We were running three screen systems twelve years ago.

You need to figure out your budget first and then go shopping. Budget dictates your hardware. Direct correlation here. I can run over steering wheels and the merits of each one of the high end systems, along with the controllers to avoid.

The latest PCIexpress video cards can be very pricey. You also need the motherboards to utilize them. You can build a dual purpose system that includes PCIexpress video and has some PCI slots so that it is not just a gaming machine. At the moment, of the PC titles, GTR2 is good. You can actually learn how to setup your cars on this machine and use it as a tool for your racing which doesn't burn up rubber. You need to be sensitive to the dynamics of simulated racing. You no longer have the G forces and need to rely on audio and visual cues to compensate for the lack of bump in the rump. Some people don't like it and it becomes rather difficult for them to adjust. If you have a karter driving style, it is probably harder to drive sims. Likewise in the real race world. I have known karting champions that went to runoff competitions in open wheel and did poorly. They didn't compensate for the fact that they were driving cars with suspensions. While, some karters adapted their styles and performed great. It's the same with PC sims. You can't be rough on the wheel and expect to remain on the track for very long.

If you drove our real force feedback systems this would not be the case. It is very realistic and easy to drive. Unfortunately, real force feed back hardware is not really obtainable by the masses due to the expense. You cannot make a $200 force feedback system that is driven from off the shelf PC hardware that is even remotely close to the real thing.

email me and we can yack by phone.

Don

One other thing. If you are building upon an older motherboard, blow off getting an AGP video card. Use a PCI card instead. They will remain around a little longer. Manufactuers are tending to ditch the AGP slot and are slower to ditch the PCI because it allows dual screen and multi-monitor displays. Likewise, there is still enough ancillary hardware that was used in PCI slots. Basically, PCIexpress has replaced the older AGP video slots.

So, basically if you get a 256 meg video card for upgrading an older Mo-board, purchase a PCI card.

Note , this is not the same as PCIExpress which is being rammed down you at the Point of Sale. You will have to search for it if you go to a retailer.

Also, if you are hard pressed to buy an AGP card for an older mo-board, make sure your board supports the card. You can't put an 8x AGP card into some of the older slots.

Believe it or not, some of the best simulations here are the one's based on old DOS code. The graphics are clearly lacking, but the physics model is great. Lapping at Monaco is intense if you want a fast time. And we have a similar complex circut we built in house that is a street course that is very complex and challenging. Threading the needle through the chicanes is the trick.

Don

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: