J.D.

Icon 1 posted    Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Ok, who is doing IR?

Mark Drennan Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Champion - '08 SOPAC / '07 SFR

Region: SFR & CalClub
Car #: Various
Year : 1994
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mark Drennan     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Me! Other than me, I've seen Eric Foss, Robert Huffmaster, Sean Yepez, Brett Smrz (not sure if he's still a member).

How do you like it? Tracks, cars, format?

See you at the (virtual) track!

-MD

Jeff Mosing Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Crash test pilot for MX-5 CUP

Region: Southwest-Houston
Car #: 16, 17, 31
Year : 1992, 1999, 2006
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jeff Mosing     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm all up in it. Incident saturated. [Smile]

--------------------
Jeff Mosing
2006 Playboy MX-5 CUP #31
1992 SM #16
1999 SM #17

cnj

Region: SW Division
Car #: 32
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for cnj     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Started last month. Bought Playseat and G25. Just installed Nixim compressible rubber pad on brake pedal - far better. I am still 6 seconds slower than Fossy around Laguna and have no idea how the heck to catch up. Need time, lessons and probably DNA.

The Solstice is, for me, not fun to drive. The Skippy car is great (feels really quite similar to the real thing) as is the FA. I found the Legends much more fun than I anticipated. Wonder what it is like to drive in RL?

Laguna is fun as is Road America. The NASCAR tracks with infield tracks are less fun. Oval racing confuses me.

This is my first experience in online racing and I have been bemused to find this whole sub culture with its own heroes, protocol and language.

Craig J

Blake Clements Verified Driver Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: SW - Houston
Car #: 6
Year : 99, 96
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Blake Clements   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I have a membership, but no wheel with me. Haven't played yet and not sure when.

--------------------
Blake Clements

PhillipsRacePrep/SP Induction Systems/East Street Racing/MiataCage.com/Carbotech/WBR Graphics

www.blakeclements.com

Colin MacLean Verified Driver
Fly Fifer

Region: Atlanta
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Colin MacLean     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm 100% addicted. Running Skip Barber and Star Mazda right now. Will move up to Radical and Daytona Prototype when I get more seat time in and jump up to the B license.

The oval racing is also incredibly fun. Boogidy, boogidy, boogidy!

I'm amazed by its realism and immersion. Seeing there are many professional drivers on there it seems pretty clear it's a useful tool. The tracks are completely spot-on. Once you get through the initial rookie phases the racing is tight, clean and very rewarding.

--------------------
Colin MacLean
Flyin' MacLean Motorsports

Brian Cates

Region: Washington, DC
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Brian Cates   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Unfortunately we can only get satelite internet at the house so I can't play IR due to the latency. Otherwise I would be on there in a minute. I guess I am going to have to get it at work so I can come kick some virtual ass!

I know my son, Devin Cates, started playing IR about a month ago, says he has won about 4 races so far. He's trying to stay sharp in the off season to be ready for VW TDI Cup this year.

I used to play Indy-Car Racing by Papyrus years ago on an IBM 286!!! Graphics sucked compared to today's games but the driving dynamics were spot on. I was a second faster than Paul Tracy at Laguna. [Big Grin]

I would play that game for about an hour every night until my eyes couldn't focus anymore.

Ever played Grand Prix Legends? Mid 1960's Formula One cars. No aero, crap tires and brakes and tons of power. Way hard! Another Papyrus game that they used to help develop I-Racing.

These games are great at keeping your focus sharp. Plus you can experiment with suspension setings and try different lines and really learn how important it is to get on the power early.

Devin said he raced Marcos Ambrose on line a few weeks ago and has seen Dale Jr. playing online.

The hardest thing to get used to is the braking, just no feel.

Since you only have visual and audio it really helps to have a good subwoofer to feel what the car is doing. I play Gran Turismo 5 at home with a 100" projector screen with full surround sound and a 15" Subwoofer and it's a blast. Of course you can always use headphones but it's just not the same without the sub.

Roger Caddell Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Victory Lane Data

Region: Northwest
Car #: #30
Year : 2007
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Roger Caddell   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Andrew runs on iRacing quite a bit now. We have only had it for a couple of weeks and he thinks it is great!

--------------------
Thanks!

Roger Caddell

Victory Lane Data - Your Aim Data Acquisition Connection!
Andrew Caddell - Personal Website!

genaro cuevas

Region: 27
Car #: 77
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for genaro cuevas     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

im play it, im running teh star mazda class:) and on LRP i was doing 46.6xx,but i love this game! great:)

Trussell17t

Region: WDCR
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Trussell17t     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I know several WDCR guys are running it....they come out of the woodwork when its time for Summit....and I still hate the Lowes road course :-)

--------------------
http://www.travistrussell.com

http://www.WrtSpeedWerx.com

Buelligan Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: WDC
Car #: 05
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Buelligan     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Brian Cates, I'm in the same boat and believe it or not Dial-up works fine if you have a clean connection. I experience very little warping and am having a blast. I finished second in my division for the 13th week series. I have also played EVERYTHING that has come down the pike as far as Simulators go- IndyCar Racing 1 & 2, GPL ('67 Formula 1),GTR 1&2, GTL and now iRacing!

I'm one of the DC that Travis is talking about, him and I have raced together several times!

My only issue is price! On top of my monthly fee now I have to drop $175 more just to join the Star Mazda (need the car $20 and 6 tracks at $20-$25 a pop). Joining any of the other series is $100 or more for each one depending on the tracks needed and one could drop close to a $750 to just buy all the content available. I know they give quanity discounts and they spent ALOT of time and money to scan the tracks and cars but damn that just puts it out of reach for all but the hardcore and wealthy. GEE just like the real world uh!

Besides the price it is absolutly the best I've driven in the 11 years and dozens of simulators I've played with!!!

A side note, when I used AOL, their service was WAY to iffy to play well (lots of warping and disconnects) and iRacing customer service noticed my difficulties and contacted me to offer help!!! They were spectacular at getting me straightened out and it works great now!

--------------------
Mike Monaghan
#05 SSM
"BUELL" The Original STREETFIGHTER

J.D.

Wont find me in the Solstice, go figure [Wink]

Skippy car though, shall we try for a practice time tonight? I'm only 3.5 D right now both license but will be C next update.

Mark Drennan Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Champion - '08 SOPAC / '07 SFR

Region: SFR & CalClub
Car #: Various
Year : 1994
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mark Drennan     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm in! Pick a time...I can make most any.

Haven't done much Skippy. Tried it at Sears (hated it) and VIR (was okay). Tried it last night at Lime Rock and actually enjoyed it...probably more to do with being sick of so many Solstice laps there.

I'll email you some setups I've downloaded from various sources.

Buelligan Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: WDC
Car #: 05
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Buelligan     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Man you guys are hard on the poor Solstice! I've grown to like it! Doesn't quite stick like the SM but it has more horsepower and is tossable. I can run a little faster at Summit Point in it than my SSM!

--------------------
Mike Monaghan
#05 SSM
"BUELL" The Original STREETFIGHTER

J.D.

Solstice for me is a real life issue, not the game [Big Grin]

misterwaterfallin

Car #: 07
Icon 1 posted  Profile for misterwaterfallin     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Man i've been wanting to try this out for a while. what wheel/pedal set ups are you guys using?

--------------------
-Mathew Waterfall
Number 07 SM
Red/black/mud

Gatoratty Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Central Florida
Car #: 3
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I am using a G25 wheel and pedals. I keep practicing, but I have a hard time trying to get the brake pressure right without the feedback. I signed up at PRI because they offered the annual membership at half price.

--------------------
Paul McLester

adambrouillard

Icon 1 posted  Profile for adambrouillard   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Yeah braking is probably the hardest thing to get right in sim racing. Of course I think that it's also the hardest part of real racig.

--------------------
Adam Brouillard
Car Pictures at
http://www.hollingsworthrg.com/

J.D.

I use;

http://wheelstandpro.com/

http://thomas-superwheel.com/tswsite/index.php?page=sh...n=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1

I have the G25 but the force feedback and heavy pedal feel does not suit me.

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I like the wheel stand pro. Is it sturdy?

--------------------
Paul McLester

Trussell17t

Region: WDCR
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Trussell17t     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

This is what I am using http://www.playseats.com/ with a Logitech G25 wheel and the Playseats Gear Shift add-on ...would belts and a helmet be too much???

-

--------------------
http://www.travistrussell.com

http://www.WrtSpeedWerx.com

Brian Cates

Region: Washington, DC
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Brian Cates   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Hey Mike Monaghan,

My hard wired phone connection is pretty bad. Could not go more then a few minutes without a drop. I traced the wire down and it's supposed to be burried but just outside my propety line the cable is sitting on the ground and when it rains, well you get the picture.

I thought about trying Verizon Wireless. Anybody had any luck with that?

My 12 year old wants to play X-Box Live but same deal, too much latency. Have yet to figure out how to hook the X-Box to the Verizon Wireless.

Now I know why my credit card keeps showing new charges to I-Racing. Alright Devin, give me that card back now!

J.D.

It is sturdy, well for what it is. 6 cst all join, Skip LRP practice.

J.D.

Ok, as I suspected, I suck. Most fun though....

cnj

Region: SW Division
Car #: 32
Icon 1 posted  Profile for cnj     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Sorry I missed it. Can't get home from work by 6.

I see that a few are having problems with the G25 braking. I found the braking on the G25 really tricky and so ordered a simple little rubber pad from Nixim in the UK and installed it this weekend. The difference is dramatic. Way easier to modulate braking. My driving still pretty much sucks but I can't continue to blame the pedal.

Craig

John@P1 Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Metro NY
Car #: 09
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for John@P1   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I am running this exact set-up. I joined iracing just last night. So far it's awesome.

Anyone wanna share their LRP laptimes in the solstice?

quote:
Originally posted by Trussell17t:
This is what I am using http://www.playseats.com/ with a Logitech G25 wheel and the Playseats Gear Shift add-on ...would belts and a helmet be too much???

-

--------------------
John C. Kuitwaard
Team Principal/Driver
www.P1-MotorSports.com
www.Owater.com
www.AlexsLemonade.org

Roger Caddell Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Victory Lane Data

Car #: #30
Year : 2007
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Roger Caddell   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Andrew is pretty new to iRacing (2 weeks) but he just told me that he has ran a 1:03.70 at Lime Rock in a Solstice.

He is at Miller Motorsports Park today and tomorrow or he would have joined you.

--------------------
Thanks!

Roger Caddell

Victory Lane Data - Your Aim Data Acquisition Connection!
Andrew Caddell - Personal Website!

I just ordered the Nixim brake mod for the G25. Something has to help my braking!

--------------------
Paul McLester

Monkeywrench

Region: SJR
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Monkeywrench     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

+1 to the braking being terrible. I'd love to race with you guys but no $$ and lack of time makes it impossible at the moment.

I also found this..
http://leobodnar.com/products/DFPG25conn/

reviews over here...
http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=48196

I'm not sure if I would spend the money, but it might be worth it someone else. The rubber block looks to be the ticket though.

--------------------
-Bob Adams

EFoss28 Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
2008 SM and MX-5 Cup Champion 2009 SWC Rookie of the Year

Region: Texas
Car #: 28
Year : 99/06/10
Icon 1 posted  Profile for EFoss28   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Bob the Leo Bodnar adapter is a must with the Nixim pedal mod... It makes you much more consistent and gives you better feel and modulation.

We should start some week night practice events and maybe even some mock races like the one we attempted tonight LOL!!!

I've been playing quite a bit since this summer... Fast lap at LRP in Solstice 1:03.1

--------------------
http://www.GoTeamMER.com
http://www.ericfossracing.com
http://www.saferacer.com

MegaModerator

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Blake Clements   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Can someone look at their G25 wheel and tell me if it is 110-240V compatable? I am shopping and need to make sure before I buy.

Thanks!

Blake

--------------------
Blake Clements

PhillipsRacePrep/SP Induction Systems/East Street Racing/MiataCage.com/Carbotech/WBR Graphics

www.blakeclements.com

Blake

110-240v and 50-6- hz is on the power adapter. I found the best price at Tiger Direct when I bought mine.

--------------------
Paul McLester

Thanks Eric. I just ordered the Leo Bodnar adapter to go with the Nixim block. I am losing my excuses quickly.

--------------------
Paul McLester

MegaModerator

quote:
Originally posted by Gatoratty:
Blake

110-240v and 50-6- hz is on the power adapter. I found the best price at Tiger Direct when I bought mine.

Thanks Paul, exactly what I needed to know.

Blake

--------------------
Blake Clements

www.blakeclements.com

J.D.

I can get in nightly most days, call it Eric, you're the guy to beat.

I assume that mod lowers the pedal tension? My biggest complaint. I don't care about real car feel, I care about computer car speed LOL

It was a Mach something but since I spun in front of y'all spinning, I won.

FWIW, stay track oposite of anyone who's name rymes with 'Draino".

J.D.

Eric, we need setups, will you post here for us? You can have tire psi if you want to hold back anything? [Wink]

EFoss28 Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
2008 SM and MX-5 Cup Champion 2009 SWC Rookie of the Year

Region: Texas
Car #: 28
Year : 99/06/10
Icon 1 posted  Profile for EFoss28   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Skip setup I try to run as close to stock as possible with around 27 hot pressure... at LRP ended up -4 on front perches and 55-56 on Brake Bias. I must say skip is my least favorite car. On the advanced solstice I like 35-36 for hot pressures and max camber rear less in front... remember front camber relates to caster and I like putting some caster in the car. also front toe 0 to -1 and rear is +1 to +3 depending on track. Hope this helps

E

--------------------
http://www.GoTeamMER.com
http://www.ericfossracing.com
http://www.saferacer.com

J.D.

I don't know what I don't like. But, I have not even driven the Solstice (used Legends to advance). I will try but it is a "red" car to me (watch Used Cars the movie).

We need not discount Legends, makes for some interesting races and sounds good.

Again, watch for your local "Draino".

genaro cuevas

Icon 1 posted  Profile for genaro cuevas     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

when we gonna actually do some practice seasons:) and what car? just rookie solstice? that car i liked, still do but a big difference between that and the mazda, and eric i also do not like the skippy. you should remember me we raced once, then i remembered your name the next day and pm,ed you lol.

J.D.

we were there past two nights, several hours, just off.

genaro cuevas

what class you running JD

J.D.

we re doing the lowest because license among us vary.

Devin Cates

Region: Wash DC
Car #: 23
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Devin Cates   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I didn't like the solstice at first but now that i have gotten used to it, it is a lot of fun. The skips just slide and aren't too fun to drive to me, but the DP's are awesome!

--------------------
http://devin.catesracing.com/
http://www.finishlineprod.net/

J.D.

quote:
February 18,2009 - Texas Motor Speedway Coming Soon!
Everything is bigger in Texas – and that includes race tracks. Texas Motor Speedway, the 1.5-mile quad-oval home to everything from NASCAR’s top three classes to the open-wheelers of the IndyCar Series to Legends Cars, is in the final stages of modeling and will be available to iRacing members in early March.

A total of six configurations will be included, from the big 24-degree-banked quad oval to the pit-lane-and-front stretch short oval that plays host to Legends Car races. For road racers, iRacing’s TMS will include a total of four road-course layouts: the 2.324-mile primary circuit that includes most of the big oval and three smaller infield-only courses of 1.07, .7 and .5 miles.

Brett Smrz

Region: National
Car #: 29
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Brett Smrz   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Mark Drennan:
Me! Other than me, I've seen Eric Foss, Robert Huffmaster, Sean Yepez, Brett Smrz (not sure if he's still a member).

How do you like it? Tracks, cars, format?

See you at the (virtual) track!

-MD

I am still a member. I am just not home enough to play!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: