Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » SMulators » What game do most of you play?

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: What game do most of you play?
Blix Verified Driver
Veteran Member

Region: NER
Car #: 12
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Blix     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

OK, i'm finally going to break down start simracing. The first question I have is what are you guys mostly playing? I think there are three options:
1. iRacing.com
2. Whatever the most recent SimBin game is (GTR2?)
3. rFactor

Loves? hates? recommendations?

By the way, there is a weird synergy between the process of building my first race car (spec miata) and thinking about putting this idea toghether. (What class(game) do I want? How much should I spend on hardware? What hardware gives me the most bang for the buck? Why does that guy have all the cool toys?)

E

--------------------
Eric
http://www.hale-motorsports.com
For all your Mazda and Mustang needs

Brian Cates

Region: Washington, DC
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Brian Cates   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Must have Logitech G25 Pedals and Wheel. Don't waste your time with anything else. You can find them for a little over $200 now as the G27 is out now.

i-racing is the most realistic and hardest, but make sure you have a high speed internet connection.

GTR2 is pretty good and you can download cars and tracks.

PS3 Gran Tourismo 5 is good, limited tracks.

You need a good computer and video card.

Buelligan Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: WDC
Car #: 05
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Buelligan     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Well to start iRacing.com is by far the hot ticket right now! Biggest drawback is the price! You have to pay to play. The full year is the best deal, after the 60.00 iRacing credit it works out to about $8 a month. But then you have to buy cars and tracks at $15-$25 each. So it adds up quick. With that said, it is one of the best simulators going, just for the accuracy of the tracks. The cars handle right also.

Now for a one time payment, GTR2 is pretty close to the top of the heap but also check out GT Legends, also by SimBin, for classic racing action and also great physics.

Another great sim, and still holds it's own, is GPL (Grand Prix Legends) by Sierra from 1998! GPL was the sim in its day and didn't sell well because of its STEEP learning curve! But once you got a handle on it, I got some of the best racing out of it I ever experienced.

Never ran rFactor but hear good things about it.

Now for a machine to run these great simulators! I highly recommend the new corei7 with a decent video card. Also no less than 3-4 gigs of ram. The thing with simulators is you must have steady frame rates at 30fps or better to get the right feel. You also need to run the graphics pretty high to see your whats up ahead easier. You could run most on a $500-$600 computer but a good machine is about $800-$1500 and up!

This is where I got the last machine I bought and it runs GTR2 at a constant 75FPS with ALL graphics on full and res.@ 1600x1200 32 million colors! I bought the $779 one.
Cyberpower Core i7

This is some info on GPL. Good luck finding it, Amazon.com maybe? Grand Prix Legends WIKI page

GT Legends home page

Also this is the best wheel for the money right now also. Logitech G25.
G25 Racing Wheel

Hope this helps!

--------------------
Mike Monaghan
#05 SSM
"BUELL" The Original STREETFIGHTER

Thomas Benham

Region: Detroit
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Thomas Benham     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I do rFactor and GTR2. Just found these guys http://www.race2play.com/ online racing is so cool!

--------------------
Thomas Benham

Dusty Bottoms Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
99 all the way!

Region: Lone Star
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dusty Bottoms     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

GTR2 and there is an old skin for MX5 Cup.

I picked up a new G25 and it's much better than my old MS Sidewinder steering wheel. I'm making my own race sim seat out of my old Ultrashield SM seat.

Someone setup a server and I'm in...I paid for 3 months a while back (I requested donations to a charity in lieu of helping to pay for the server) but nobody showed up to race. I handed that off to someone else but I didn't see it go anywhere before the lease expired.

--------------------
"Your victory is tainted! Asterisk! Asterisk!!!"--Lisa Simpson

Mike Colangelo Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: NWR
Car #: 37
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike Colangelo     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Grand Theft Auto - Vice City

evolvedmr

Region: dc
Car #: 55
Year : 06 Evo 9
Icon 1 posted  Profile for evolvedmr     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

pole position...II

Colin MacLean Verified Driver
Fly Fifer

Region: Atlanta
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Colin MacLean     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

iRacing!

Lots of current and ex-SM guys are subscribers. I race regularly with Eric Foss, Mark Drennan, Andrew Caddell and others including many high profile pro drivers. They have the new Jetta TDI on there which is a similar car to the SM in terms of the racecraft required.

--------------------
Colin MacLean
Flyin' MacLean Motorsports

Blix Verified Driver
Veteran Member

Region: NER
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Blix     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Super, thanks.

I'm going to build my own computer, and I have it pretty well spec'd out. My buddy is HUGE into FPS games (two of the companies now send him very early beta versions to test), and he's guiding my through the building process, (CPU, motherboard, dual grafics cards, RAID HDs, etc). Based on what we're putting toghether, i should have no trouble running the game. Now driving, totally different story.

Thanks for the recommnedations, I'll hit you guys up once I assemble all my parts.

--------------------
Eric
http://www.hale-motorsports.com
For all your Mazda and Mustang needs

Lance Snyder Made Donation to Website
Administrator

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Lance Snyder     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I pwn nubs in Call of Duty World at War.

--------------------
All this has happened before, and will happen again

davidb72 Verified Driver
Ball Breaker

Region: Susquehanna
Car #: SSM # 28
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for davidb72   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Fallout 3 F T W !! !! !!

--------------------
David Black
#28 SpecMiata
www.ronfez.net
www.ronpaul2008.com

Weekend Warrior Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Racing to Cure ALS (Lou Gehrig's Disease)

Region: WDCR
Car #: 56 "Earl"
Year : 1990, 1999 soon to be SM
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Weekend Warrior   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Pokerstars

--------------------
http://www.olsinvestfinancial.com
http://www.alsinfo.org
http://www.weekendwarriorracing.com

Dusty Bottoms Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
99 all the way!

Region: Lone Star
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dusty Bottoms     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Lance Snyder:
I pwn nubs in Call of Duty World at War.

http://www.neatorama.com/2007/08/18/if-business-me...e-like-internet-comments/

--------------------
"Your victory is tainted! Asterisk! Asterisk!!!"--Lisa Simpson

Vick Verified Driver
Do they sell spec training wheels?

Region: NYR
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Vick     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

FIRST!

--------------------
http://www.volko.com

Lance Snyder Made Donation to Website
Administrator

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Lance Snyder     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Simpsons did it!

--------------------
All this has happened before, and will happen again

John A - 5X Racing Verified Driver
www.5xracing.com

Region: NASA FL / CFR SCCA
Car #: 25
Icon 1 posted  Profile for John A - 5X Racing   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

No xbox'rs waiting for Forza 3? Hopefully it actually comes out on the release date this October and not 6 months later like Forza 2 did.

Need for Speed Shift is supposed to be sim like as well, but I don't necessarily believe that it will be considering their previous games.

--------------------
John Adamczyk

Owner: 5X Racing Online Race Shop
Driver: Team 5X Racing #25 Spec Miata
NASA FL Race Director
Race Engineering Powered 1.6

PedalFaster Verified Driver

Region: Northwest
Car #: 86
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for PedalFaster     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm a Forza-er. It might be less "realistic" than iRacing, but I like being able to play whenever I want, and also no one I know can keep iRacing's cars on track for more than a lap without crashing.

--------------------
Stephen Hui - '95 SM #86, Northwest / Oregon Region SCCA

Cajun Miata Man Verified Driver
Overdog Driver

Region: Houston; SWDIV
Car #: 15
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Cajun Miata Man     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Colin MacLean:
iRacing!

Lots of current and ex-SM guys are subscribers. I race regularly with Eric Foss, Mark Drennan, Andrew Caddell and others including many high profile pro drivers. They have the new Jetta TDI on there which is a similar car to the SM in terms of the racecraft required.

Second that. iRacing is the way to go.

--------------------
James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA