Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » SMulators » Spec Miata on Forza Motorsport 3 (Page 3)

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic
Page 3 of 8 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  next » 

Author Topic: Spec Miata on Forza Motorsport 3
Teamfour Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: WDCR
Car #: 04
Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Teamfour   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

8 PM CENTRAL it is for me. How does this work. Never been invited to a race before.

BTW, I ran the original John5X setup WITH traction and stability control. A lot better than without.

--------------------
Lee Tilton
1993 Meowta #04
Brimtek Motorsports/ Team Four Racing
Team Four Racing

Unsafe Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Team Saferacer

Region: Kansas City
Car #: 70
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Unsafe     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Saturday at 8PM works for me...any idea what track we might do?

John's setup works great...I am running with no assists and not really having handling problems once you get the tuning right. The car will behave within the rules, just tire pressure, ride heights, camber, caster, toe and a bit of trail braking...just like real life...it works!

--------------------
Mike Asselta
http://www.saferacer.com

SamBarnett Verified Driver
Veteran Member

Region: NASA MA / SCCA CCR
Car #: 6
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for SamBarnett   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Is everyone comfortable with the John5x setup? If so should we set this as an official standard?

FYI in case you dont have it my xbox live ID is "sambarnett"

--------------------
Race Engineering - Championship Winning Engines
Carbotech Performance Brakes
CDOC

Team Saferacer

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Unsafe     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Drago will recognize this car. It's the same view he had from second place when we crossed the line at St. Louis, many moons ago. [Big Grin]

-

--------------------
Mike Asselta

PedalFaster Verified Driver

Region: Northwest
Car #: 86
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for PedalFaster     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I vote Road America...

--------------------
Stephen Hui - '95 SM #86, Northwest / Oregon Region SCCA

DES4 Verified Driver

Region: Central Florida
Icon 1 posted  Profile for DES4     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by TaxMan:
As far as a time for the race, lets just pick a time and grab as many as we can.

How about 9pm EST Saturday night. We use John's setup from above. If there is enough push back we can add the diff for the race next time?

Takers?

I'm up for it. Please add me to your friend's list, if you haven't already (Cheeto23).

[ 12-24-2009, 07:37 PM: Message edited by: DES4 ]

Team Saferacer

Please send me an invite too: specracer70

--------------------
Mike Asselta

Team Saferacer

+1 for John5X standard specs...

--------------------
Mike Asselta

Veteran Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for SamBarnett   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

In case you don't have it. Here is the "official" John5x car build for Forza 3:

Start with a stock 1994 Miata.

Engine and Power

Air Filter > Install the "Street Air Filter"

Exhaust > Install the "Street Exhaust"
Your new PI number should be F188 after these mods.

Platform and Handling

Brakes > Install "Street Brakes"
Your new PI should be F189

Springs and Dampers > Install "Race Springs and Dampers"
This mod allows full adjustbility (needed to allow for the proper setup later)
Your new PI should be F193

Anti Roll Bars > Install "Sport front anti roll bars" and "Sport rear anti roll bars"
Your PI should remain F193

Chassis Reinforcement and Roll Cage > Install the "Race chassis reinforcement and roll cage"
Your new PI should be F197

Weight Reduction > install "sport weight reduction".

Drivetrain

Clutch > Install "sport clutch"
Your new PI should be E201

Tires and Rims

Go to "Rim Style" all the way to the right first, go to the Team Dynamics wheels and install > "Pro Race 1 or Pro Race 2 (Pro Race 2 is 3lbs lighter)

Front Rim Size > Upgrade the Front Rim Size to the first option to the right which will give you a 185/55/15 wheel (don't worry, the tire size will be 205-50-15 later)

Rear Rim Size > Do the same as the front

Front tire width > install the second option to the right which is "205-50-15"

Rear tire width > do the same as the front again

Tire compound > install the second tire choice to the right which is "sport tire compound" (these are DOT legal spec tires according to the description)

After all the mods your new PI should be E269

[ 12-24-2009, 07:22 PM: Message edited by: SamBarnett ]

--------------------
CDOC

John A - 5X Racing Verified Driver
www.5xracing.com

Region: NASA FL / CFR SCCA
Car #: 25
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for John A - 5X Racing   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by racerfink:
John, my car came out to the right P.I., but the weight is at 2204. Typo?

Brian,

That could be a difference in wheels or perhaps the tire widths, clutch, etc... I used the Pro Race 2 team dynamics wheels in my build, which are two pounds lighter than the PR1's. I am not worried about you being 2 pounds heavier, the slower you are the better everyone else's chances are!

If you are really worried about finding the two pounds just go through all the mods and make sure they all match. You know what you're doing, I am sure you'll find it.

I will try and be on from the 6pm window until whenever on Saturday night, I will look for fellow racers and join in. Although, if we all race at the same time we will need two lobbies going, there can only be 8 racers in one race.

For all that are new to xbox live play, here is how to find us on there:

Turn on xbox with Forza 3 disc inserted

sign into xbox live (might be automatic sign in already)

Press the "X ball button" in the center top of your controller (looks like a silver ball with a green x through it)

This will bring up a menu with tabs, choose "friends" and see if any of us are playing the game online

If we are, press the "a" button on our name and choose "join game" or "join private chat"

If you're already playing online with everyone, and want to invite someone, do the same except choose "invite to game"

Hope we can get a race going this saturday! If anyone ever see's me on there playing Forza, just invite me to a private chat and we can setup a race. Also, thanks for the thanks about the setup. I am sure some of you can tweak it using the alignment, tire, and ride height settings beyond my basic setup. I left everything except the spring rates default, I plan to do some testing this weekend and will put my best setup for sale on my storefront (secrets cost money!). I encourage everyone to do the same, it will be interesting what people come up with for different tracks.

--------------------
John Adamczyk

Owner: 5X Racing Online Race Shop
Driver: Team 5X Racing #25 Spec Miata
NASA FL Race Director
Race Engineering Powered 1.6

Veteran Member

3 of us are racing right now if anyone wants to join.

--------------------
CDOC

NV Racer Verified Driver

Region: SFR
Icon 1 posted  Profile for NV Racer     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I modified my gamertag to "NV Racer" from "nvracer" Makes my tag more visible online.

Dennis

racerfink Verified Driver
Gig 'em Aggies

Region: Central Florida Region
Car #: 111
Year : '90 Miata
Icon 1 posted  Profile for racerfink     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Cheeto 23 and racerfink (me) are on right now practicing

--------------------
'90 Spec Miata
'90 Street Miata
'96 Chevy 1500
http://www.AutoTechnikRacing.com
www.myspace.com/projecthband

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Teamfour   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

What kind of lap times are folks running at Road America? The best I have so far is 2:47. I never really driven the track.

BTW, here is a cool little platform I made for my wheel. It has cups screwed to the bottom that fit into the cupholders on my theater chair. It is nice racing on a 65" screen.

-

--------------------
Lee Tilton
1993 Meowta #04
Team Four Racing

DES4 Verified Driver

Region: Central Florida
Icon 1 posted  Profile for DES4     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Teamfour:
[QB] What kind of lap times are folks running at Road America? The best I have so far is 2:47. I never really driven the track.

I gave it a shot; my times ran in the 2:39.xxx range. Keep in mind that I have been messing with online racers quite a few years.

From what I had seen on your leaderboard time, you're using traction control and automatic trans. Both will slow you down considerably; I'd recommend learning the game without any assists as they only cost you time.

If you're interested in getting in some online practice, send me an invite any time you see me on Xbox live.

DES4, thanks for the comments. I have never played online games before...well except backgammon and poker. [Wink]

Also, what viewpoint do most of you use: in-car or the default view?

--------------------
Lee Tilton
1993 Meowta #04
Team Four Racing

Jose Bonet Verified Driver

Region: CCR - 61
Car #: 79
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jose Bonet     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

please add me to your frinds list. my tag is "sm79"
thanks

--------------------
Jose Bonet

Icon 1 posted  Profile for PedalFaster     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

What do people think about having longer races? Most people run three lap races online, but I think it would be fun to run a more realistic twenty or thirty minute race.

--------------------

Team Saferacer

Stephen,
From what I have seen of your rear bumper, 20 or 30 minutes should be enough time for you to lap me!

Longer races are fine with me...I just need more practice! Heading to the "man cave" now to do just that.

specracer70

--------------------
Mike Asselta

Veteran Member

I was thinking tonight at 9pm Eastern we could do a number of short races and then cap off the night with a 30 minute race. Sound good?

Rules, join instructions and race schedule are now posted at:

www.barnettmotorsports.com/Forza3SM

--------------------
CDOC

While we're proposing rules -- what would people think about limiting races to a relatively small number of prespecified tracks? That would allow people to spend a few minutes learning the tracks beforehand.

Road Atlanta, Road America, Sebring, and Laguna Seca seem to be popular anyway, so maybe those four?

--------------------

Sounds like we're close to having critical mass -- the following people have said they'll join in tonight:

TaxMan / RacingKiwi
PedalFaster / Disintegration
SamBarnett / sambarnett
Teamfour / meowta
Unsafe / specracer70
DES4 / Cheeto23
John A - 5x Racing / john5xracing
racerfink / racerfink
Jonathan Christian / smracer31

Given that:
quote:
if we all race at the same time we will need two lobbies going, there can only be 8 racers in one race.
Yep -- I'm not sure what the experience is if a room's full, but if people try to join races in progress and aren't allowed in, I suggest trying to join the sessions that the other people on the list above are in. We'll have to have two groups if more than eight people show up.

[ 12-26-2009, 04:59 PM: Message edited by: PedalFaster ]

--------------------

TaxMan Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Willing to trade tax advice for Miata parts...

Region: Florida Region
Car #: 7
SMIM: TaxMan
Icon 1 posted  Profile for TaxMan   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I generally would prefer shorter races. Not three laps short but around 15minutes. I would also like to see us limit the tracks we run any particular weekend. In a real car I pick up a new track rather fast, in the online world it is taking me for ever to get up to speed on even the tracks I already know (Sebring, RdAtl)

--------------------
Gary Jenkins
SEDIV Spec Miata Advisory Committe
AOL IM:PBLRacing

Veteran Member

I think limiting it to a certain number of predetermined tracks is good. As a matter of fact why don't we just have a race schedule and have both rooms follow it. An idea is as follows:

Road Atlanta - 3 lap warm up race then 15 minute race for points
America - 3 lap warm up race then 15 minute race for points
Sebring - 3 lap warm up race then 15 minute race for points
Laguna Seca - 3 lap warm up race then 30 minute race for points

Once we get this really organized and going weekly etc. we could use the early races to set a qualifying grid and the top 8 people from all rooms would be the ones to race in the 30 minute race.

--------------------
CDOC

quote:
Originally posted by Jose Bonet:
please add me to your frinds list. my tag is "sm79"

Can you double check that? I just tried adding you, and it says "The gamertag you entered does not exist on Xbox LIVE."

quote:
Originally posted by Unsafe:
Stephen,
From what I have seen of your rear bumper, 20 or 30 minutes should be enough time for you to lap me!

Are you running with any of the assists? I noticed that I was crushing you off of the line. Launching a low power RWD car is the easiest thing in the world in the game -- just floor the gas before the green flag drops, and don't lift. [Smile] Running with the traction control on will kill your launch, just as it does in real life.

--------------------

Gig 'em Aggies

Icon 1 posted  Profile for racerfink     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I plan on being there as well!

I don't see anything on the rules page about race settings. Are we going to run the damage/tire wear/fuel? It's unfortunate that they're tied together in FM3. In FM2, you could change the damage and the fuel/tire wear seperately.

Also, the "Timed" race feature doesn't work like it's supposed to. If you run a race to finish as a times event, the race ENDS when the timer runs out, regardless of where the leader is on the track. And if you started eigth, and finish on the bumper of the guy in first, the computer sees your time on track as being shorter, so it awards you first.

And, lastly, are we going to allow the manual w/clutch? Running w/clutch is like taking the restrictor plate out. But I don't see a provision in the game settings to run manual, but not allow manual w/clutch.

--------------------
'90 Spec Miata
'90 Street Miata
'96 Chevy 1500

Veteran Member

Cosmetic damage only, no tire wear, no fuel.

Manual w/out clutch is required.

Will select number of laps that will put us as close to 15 mins as possible for each track, not use timed race feature.

--------------------
CDOC

John A - 5X Racing Verified Driver
www.5xracing.com

Region: NASA FL / CFR SCCA
Car #: 25
Icon 1 posted  Profile for John A - 5X Racing   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Hell yeah, this is getting good!! Big thanks to Sam for setting up that page, that was a good idea and should be good for keeping track of things.

I like the 9pm eastern time slot, I will have to shoo the family out of here before then [Smash]

--------------------
John Adamczyk

Owner: 5X Racing Online Race Shop
Driver: Team 5X Racing #25 Spec Miata
NASA FL Race Director
Race Engineering Powered 1.6

Edited the roll call post -- if everyone shows up, we're at capacity for the first room.

No skin off my back either way, but I don't think we should ban automatics -- they're slower, so if someone is brand new and really wants to run one, I don't feel the need to stop them.

--------------------

Jonathan Christian Verified Driver

Region: south pacific
Car #: 31
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jonathan Christian   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

i will be on tonight, smracer31

quote:
Originally posted by PedalFaster:

No skin off my back either way, but I don't think we should ban automatics -- they're slower, so if someone is brand new and really wants to run one, I don't feel the need to stop them.

I like that idea. I haven't tried manual shift yet so I'm sure I would be lost using it.

--------------------
Lee Tilton
1993 Meowta #04
Team Four Racing

NV Racer Verified Driver

Icon 1 posted  Profile for NV Racer     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Automatic turned on is a Handicap the "FAST" guys should have to run it also. To give us newbies to gaming a chance. [tipsy]

Dennis

Veteran Member

Automatics will be permitted tonight. We'll discuss in more detail later. If they are determined to be faster we will eventually have to ban them.

--------------------
CDOC

Veteran Member

Anyone interested in organized practice at 8 or 8:30pm EST?

--------------------
CDOC

TaxMan Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Willing to trade tax advice for Miata parts...

Region: Florida Region
Car #: 7
SMIM: TaxMan
Icon 1 posted  Profile for TaxMan   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I am going to try to get in early tonight. Bought the son DJ Hero for Christmas and I haven't been able to get on the Xbox to practice.

I have been running the auto but will try manual tonight. With or without, the fast guys won't see me except at the start. [Smile]

--------------------
Gary Jenkins
SEDIV Spec Miata Advisory Committe
AOL IM:PBLRacing

Gig 'em Aggies

Automatics are definitely slower. Not as big a gap from auto to manual as there is from manual to manual with clutch, but it's still slower. The automatic will kick down into 2nd in several places where 3rd is just fine, and it will go into fourth in a few places where stretching third will work. Going up the hill at Laguna Seca especially

--------------------
'90 Spec Miata
'90 Street Miata
'96 Chevy 1500

Should I be worried that, three and a half hours before we decided to race, no fewer than three of you are already in the game tuning or practicing? [Big Grin]

--------------------

Just finished practicing with the manual tranny. Faster, but not to the point where I will be any good. [Wink]

--------------------
Lee Tilton
1993 Meowta #04
Team Four Racing

Tyler Dahl Verified Driver Series Champ

Region: Utah
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Tyler Dahl     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Alright, I just built a car and i'll be getting online in a little bit, i'll figure out a name when I get setup.

--------------------
Tyler Dahl
Race Engineering
Miatacage.com
Carbotech

Looks like SM may be the most popular road racing class in the virtual world, in addition to real life. [thumbsup]

--------------------
Lee Tilton
1993 Meowta #04
Team Four Racing

Team Saferacer

quote:
Originally posted by PedalFaster:
Should I be worried that, three and a half hours before we decided to race, no fewer than three of you are already in the game tuning or practicing? [Big Grin]

Since we decided to make Laguna the 30 minute track tonight, I thought I should practice enough to get around it once without flying into the desert or pulling a Whitis in the corkscrew. 30 minutes is a long time for me not to hit a tire wall!

--------------------
Mike Asselta

Team Saferacer

I have my laptop next to me just in case anyone is having trouble getting on tonight. Post a message and we will try to reach out. Also, Sam posted his phone number above.

Good luck all!

--------------------
Mike Asselta

suck fumes Verified Driver
Veteran Member

Region: Lonestar
Car #: 75
Year : 3rd in the nation
Icon 1 posted  Profile for suck fumes     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm signing up on xbox live Sunday evening. Already have the spec miata built. Who's up for a race Sunday around 7:30pm central time.

--------------------
THAT JUST HAPPENED!!! -RickyBobby-

Nigel Stu Verified Driver

Region: Detroit
Car #: 66
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Nigel Stu   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I need to get back to where my xbox is!!!! and then practice with the manual!

Is there a way to desensitize the brake trigger? I'm getting used to it in time trial mode, but tend to press a little too far and lose ability to modulate in the heat of traffic....

--------------------
Ben Schaut
Schaut Speed Motorsports
GLDiv / WHRRI
#66 Blue/White/Black

That was a kick in the butt. I need LOTS of practice. Thanks for allowing me to participate.

--------------------
Lee Tilton
1993 Meowta #04
Team Four Racing

NV Racer Verified Driver

I need lots of practice. Fabricated a wheel stand this afternoon. Shifting is much easier with the wheel but car control is a different matter. Spent most the session tonight recovering from tank slappers. Tried to stay out of everyones way really needed a big orange sticker on my back bumper. [Smile] Going to do some fine tuning on the stand and play with the control setting and get lots of practice before the next get together.

Dennis

Gig 'em Aggies

quote:
Originally posted by Nigel Stu:
I need to get back to where my xbox is!!!! and then practice with the manual!

Is there a way to desensitize the brake trigger? I'm getting used to it in time trial mode, but tend to press a little too far and lose ability to modulate in the heat of traffic....

From the main menu, go to My Profile. Highlight that and press A. Go to Controller, highlight that and press A. Then, press X for Advanced, and set your deadzones.

--------------------
'90 Spec Miata
'90 Street Miata
'96 Chevy 1500

NV Racer Verified Driver

I went through my settings, the deadzones on the wheel were all wrong and the car setup defaulted back to stock. It was a miracle I even stay on the track. Handling is 100% better. I am now turning laps comparable to my actual real life lap times.

Dennis

autobahn usa Verified Driver

Region: central
Car #: 96-101-191
Year : 3 spec miatas - mine & 2 sons
Icon 1 posted  Profile for autobahn usa     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

hi guys i built a miata with sams specs but i am a novice and wonder if we need to have a novice group? it sounds like you x-box pros will leave us new guys far behind.i tried the manuel shift no clutch it was great fun but i am faster with auto. well back to my practice. hi sam. i go by spec larry.

--------------------
autobahn usa- larry ballard

quote:
Originally posted by NV Racer:
I need lots of practice. Fabricated a wheel stand this afternoon. Shifting is much easier with the wheel but car control is a different matter. Spent most the session tonight recovering from tank slappers. Tried to stay out of everyones way really needed a big orange sticker on my back bumper. [Smile]

Thanks for being there Dennis. It kept me from running last (meowta). [Wink] I suffered from the same malady, loss of control with the wheel. I will have to make adjustments. Also, I have never driven any of the tracks we were at, and only have a total of four races in real life. Still, it was a blast.

--------------------
Lee Tilton
1993 Meowta #04
Team Four Racing

Page 3 of 8 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  next » 

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: