Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » SMulators » MX5 in IRacing

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: MX5 in IRacing
SkeerRacing
Soon to be in a SM

Icon 1 posted  Profile for SkeerRacing     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

So i am an avid iRacer (Erin Skeer2) and i was looking at new articles, and one talked about a MX5 cup car coming to iracing probably late 10' or early 11', so i was wondering if anybody has heard anything else, or want to start a league starting in the solstice, and then become a MX5 league? I think it would be really cool. [Smile]

--------------------
In 10 years, you will see me racing @ Le Mans
ElliottSkeerRacing.com

Zack Skolnick

Region: NNJR
Car #: 89
Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Zack Skolnick   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The solstice is very hard to drive. A MX5 would be awesome

--------------------
Zack Skolnick #89
Rossini Race Products/ Piloti /Zamp Racing Helmets/ Playseat USA
http://www.rossiniracing.com

SkeerRacing
Soon to be in a SM

Icon 1 posted  Profile for SkeerRacing     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Zack Skolnick:
The solstice is very hard to drive. A MX5 would be awesome

--------------------
ElliottSkeerRacing.com

SkeerRacing
Soon to be in a SM

sorry, still trying to figure SM.com out, the trick is to drift entry, hit apex and let the back turn, and hold the wheel straight. That might sound simple from a karters view, but its FAST!!

--------------------
ElliottSkeerRacing.com

John A - 5X Racing Verified Driver
www.5xracing.com

Region: NASA FL / CFR SCCA
Car #: 25
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for John A - 5X Racing   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I just got into iracing, it is MUCH harder than the Forza games on xbox that I am used to. Although I am using the xbox controller for now until I can try the wheel/pedal setup. I would be interested in participating in a league once I can make it around the track without spinning!

--------------------
John Adamczyk

Owner: 5X Racing Online Race Shop
Driver: Team 5X Racing #25 Spec Miata
NASA FL Race Director
Race Engineering Powered 1.6

Dusty Bottoms Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
99 all the way!

Region: Lone Star
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dusty Bottoms     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

John, here is something that worked great for me to learn sim tracks and sim racing. Try doing the track in 4th gear...never shift. You'll be surprised at how fast you can actually do a lap.

So is iracing.com really here to stay? I'll sign up if people are really using it. I've been chasing race sims for a while now. I had a blast with MX5 Cup in GTR2.

--------------------
"Your victory is tainted! Asterisk! Asterisk!!!"--Lisa Simpson

SkeerRacing
Soon to be in a SM

trust me, a wheel is worth like 10 seconds, i cant believe you can drive without a wheel, Dusty, you can find so many promo codes on the web, just google iracing promo, theres everything from one month free, to month half off, free car, and a free track.
Iracing already comes with the solstice, LRP, and Laguna.

--------------------
ElliottSkeerRacing.com

Blix Verified Driver
Veteran Member

Region: NER
Car #: 12
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Blix     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

That model was actually made from a real MX-5 that has raced in the series...when it comes out, supposedly you'll be able to look really closely and see the name of the prep shop it came from.

Now, if we can all chip in and get them to do a Spec Miata.....

--------------------
Eric
http://www.hale-motorsports.com
For all your Mazda and Mustang needs

SkeerRacing
Soon to be in a SM

Blix, my guess is this is the closest they will get.

At least thats my [twocents]

--------------------
ElliottSkeerRacing.com

John A - 5X Racing Verified Driver
www.5xracing.com

Region: NASA FL / CFR SCCA
Car #: 25
Icon 1 posted  Profile for John A - 5X Racing   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by SkeerRacing:
trust me, a wheel is worth like 10 seconds, i cant believe you can drive without a wheel, Dusty, you can find so many promo codes on the web, just google iracing promo, theres everything from one month free, to month half off, free car, and a free track.
Iracing already comes with the solstice, LRP, and Laguna.

Coming from Forza 3 where I used a controller with great success, I figured I'd try it on iracing to start with. I did not care for the wheel/pedal setup on console racers, actually was horrible with it. Turns out, iracing is very difficult with the controller, the steering is way too sensitive causing spins on turn in.

I don't have anything against trying a wheel/pedal setup for iracing, actually I think it is necessary now, but the Logitech G25 wheel at $250 or so is no bargain by any means. Luckily a friend is going to let me borrow one before I buy one, then I will most likely look for a used one. The G27 is coming out in the fall, there will probably be plenty of used G25's available for a reasonable amount (hopefully).

--------------------
John Adamczyk

Owner: 5X Racing Online Race Shop
Driver: Team 5X Racing #25 Spec Miata
NASA FL Race Director
Race Engineering Powered 1.6

Buelligan Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: WDC
Car #: 05
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Buelligan     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I have been sim racing since David Kaemmer's first simulation Indianapolis 500 from 1989 (which ran in MSDOS!) and now his current project, iRacing, is the best available. I have been an iRacing member since August 08 as an early tester. A console will never compare to a PC. They are close and they are still alot of fun but not even in the same ballpark. The PC sims are harder because they are so close to the real deal, that without the "seat of your pants" feedback from the real car its difficult to anticipate what the car is going to do! You have to spend the time to train your eyes and ears to fill in the blanks. Don't give up as the reward is quite satisfying! John, you definatly NEED a wheel! I can't believe you even get out of the pits with an xbox controller LOL! (I know its not that bad but the wheel is a MUST!) May I suggest the Logitech G-25 or G-27. Seems to be the hot ticket for the money right now. Around $200 if you look around.
As for the SM, I was speaking with one of the techs about 8 months ago and it was not in the near future to work on one, in fact I am suprised about the MX-5 but whoo-hoo I'm ready!

--------------------
Mike Monaghan
#05 SSM
"BUELL" The Original STREETFIGHTER

SkeerRacing
Soon to be in a SM

I found my G25 on craigslist for $125, you can get them cheap if you look around.

--------------------
ElliottSkeerRacing.com

Colin MacLean Verified Driver
Fly Fifer

Region: Atlanta
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Colin MacLean     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

You can get the Logitech DFGT for less than $100 if you want to just try it out. The G25 is the way to go though.

I've been iRacing religiously since August '08 and can't recommend it highly enough. We actually had a "Spec Miata Runoffs" race at Road America in the Solstice not that long ago [Smile]

Here's the car they used: http://www.lauraolsonracing.com/blog/2010/05/lauras-mx-5-used-as-model-for-iracing/

You'd be surprised at who uses it and races online. Takuma Sato, Will Power, Justin Wilson, Dale JR, Marcus Ambrose plus many, many others. I saw Timo Glock and Lucas Di Grassi on there yesterday. Loads of guys from Rolex, Continental Challenge, World Challenge etc.

--------------------
Colin MacLean
Flyin' MacLean Motorsports

Mark Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mark   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Iracing offers a 50% discount for an annual membership for SCCA members. The info is listed on the SCCA site. Good for new members only so don't sign up until you have the coupon code.

--------------------
Mark
http://www.ironcanyonmotorsports.com

SkeerRacing
Soon to be in a SM

Oh wow!!! i wish i heard about that 6 months ago...

--------------------
ElliottSkeerRacing.com

Lance Snyder Made Donation to Website
Administrator

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Lance Snyder     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Got iRacing earlier this week and man am I having a blast... massive learning curve but I'm slowly getting better. Managed to get out of rookies for road racing, now working on the oval side of things. Not sure how much oval racing I'll do but would be nice to be eligible for some of the special events. Lookin forward to the MX5's, wonder if they will allow bump draftin.

--------------------
All this has happened before, and will happen again

JIM DANIELS Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Site Founder

Region: Mid-South
Car #: 76
Year : "You Pick"
Icon 1 posted  Profile for JIM DANIELS   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Randy Hale's car, should be a great training tool addition.

--------------------
Jim Daniels

MAZDARACERS.COM

Vick Verified Driver
Do they sell spec training wheels?

Region: NYR
Car #: 12
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Vick     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I was at LRP when they were doing all the work to put the car into iRacing....I was impressed.

Microphones all over the car to get the right sound. Checking over all the data to get the physics right. Then they were going to do a photoshoot to get the car right. Pretty impressive.

--------------------
http://www.volko.com

Administrator

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Lance Snyder     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I get the feelin the MX5's gonna be used in a lot of hosted races after the ARRC. [Big Grin]

--------------------

SkeerRacing
Soon to be in a SM

I want to see a MAARS iRace, 45 MX5's going into turn 1 @ Summit Point [rolling on floor laughin]

--------------------
ElliottSkeerRacing.com

Alex Gaines Verified Driver

Region: Central Carolina
Car #: 77
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Alex Gaines   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I've been playing around with the mx5 in iracing the last 2 days. The bump drafting in it is awesome. I haven't played iracing in a year or so and the mx5 brought me back. The car is a blast and the racing is even better. The developers did a really good job I think.

--------------------
2010 SARRC Champion
2010 13 Hours of VIR Champions
Race Engineering

Administrator

I tried a MX5 race before I came into work, ass hattery abounded, got taken out and quit.

Hopefully gonna run a couple of races tonight but need to focus on learning Laguna in the Mustang.

--------------------

OSR 1

Region: new england
Car #: 23
SMIM: 2001
Icon 1 posted  Profile for OSR 1     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I think they did a great job
Car is 100 percent better then the Pontiac

Administrator

Gotta say I think i just got why you guys do this. Won my first race in iRacing last night in the MX5 @ Mid-O.

Started 11th, avoided a mess at China Beach then 2 laps later in the keyhole to get me into the top 3. Got into 2nd, couldn't take the lead and went back to 3rd. 4th and 5th caught up, for about 3 laps you had 1-5 all within a second of each other, then 6th place joined the party. Got drop kicked in the carousel going from 3rd to 6th. Figured the chance to win was over but buried my head and drove hard anyways. Next lap someone blows their motor at China Beach, go off to avoid the slowing car but don't lose much time. 4th place guy spins, and the top 2 start going side by side again giving me a chance to reel them back in. Few laps to go finally get past 2nd place, he screws up on the next corner so now I can concentrate on the leader. Knew my only chance to pass was either keyhole or China Beach but probably China Beach. Took a couple of laps of timing my run through 1 to allow me to full accelerate to the keyhole, brake normally and get back on the power early to be on his bumper exiting the keyhole so I can draft by... managed to do this on the last lap and held on for the win. There was only 1 incident of contact and that is when I got drop kicked, everything else was close and clean. What a rush.

--------------------

Muda Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
ComingToAMirrorNearYou

Region: WDC
Car #: #23
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Muda     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Finally hooked up an old computer in order to learn Road Atlanta for the ARRC. Just lucked in to the release of the MX5. All the MX5 races seem to be on Mid-Ohio. May have to buy that track if they don't spread out. Would also very much like a WDC race group. 4 wide plus 2 in the grass at the start? Who cares! Seems a bit better than GT4 but I have an older wheel which when hooked up to a PC doesn't have feedback. We'll see. GT5 comes out real soon.

--------------------
Muda Motorsports
"We're all here 'cause we're not all there."

Administrator

They are now at Road Atlanta until tomorrow evening when the regular season begins. Eric is talking about hosting a session tuesday night so keep an eye out for that.

--------------------

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: