Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Sports Car Club of America » SCCA Great Lakes » Opportunity for track time at Mid-Ohio + Instructors Needed

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Opportunity for track time at Mid-Ohio + Instructors Needed
spdmonkey Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: OVR
Car #: 08
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for spdmonkey     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Just wanted to post that we in the Ohio Valley Region will be hosting a PDX the Friday before our first double regional race September 4, 2009. The cost is reasonable at $200 and if you have track knowledge we are still looking for instructors too.

If you just want to instruct but not drive in the instructor session there is no fee. If you want to drive in the instructor sessions it will be $50 and it looks like there will be quite a bit of time allotted to instructors. Online registration is available for both the PDX and Club Races at motorsportreg.com. If you are interested in being an instructor please pm me so we can get you approved before you register. As this is our first attempt at a PDX we are limiting the number of participants so please register early to avoid being closed out. I know we have a few SM folks lined up already to instruct or help and I want to thank them.

Thanks

Dave Brown, Regional Executive
PDX Co-Chair, Competition Chairman
Ohio Valley Region

Qik Nip Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Loose Member '09 & '10 Great Lakes Regional Points Champion

Region: Cincinnati Great Lakes
Car #: 60
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Qik Nip     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Dave:
Another great event this past weekend by OVR. The PDX was well run and the two days of racing were extremely well organized. I heard nary a peep from any competitor about announcements, tech, flagging, or the schedule. Even the Spaghetti and meat ball dinner (and beer) was great Saturday night. The Lake Erie Communications workers were (as usual) fabulous. Thanks to all.
Rick

--------------------
Fortune Cookie Racing SM 60
Directions for use: Race, Rumple, Repair ... Repeat!

spdmonkey Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Car #: 08
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for spdmonkey     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thanks Rick. The PDX was a bit chaotic with having to share the track, but we all made it thru. Well not all of us. Watts got an extra special ride into the tire wall and I got a helacious slide and spin while riding along. We both survived, but I'm not sure I want to do that again. My other student in a SM did a great job and progressed to much quicker lap times in the races. Without the help of guys like you Rick we could never pull this off and we appreciate everybody that came out. Lots of SM drivers on all days. Thanks!

db

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Qik Nip     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Dave:
Yea. Watts was looking a bit more pale than his normal color after the ride to the tire wall (his side). My student (a first time novice in an EVO) said it was the most fun he'd had with his pants on. He's of to buy race tires. Nothing like black crack.
Rick
P.S. See you in late October.

--------------------

D Watts Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Just going in circles

Region: Neohio
Car #: 66
SMIM: dwatts66
Icon 1 posted  Profile for D Watts   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

"more pale than his normal color"...that is hard to do, but this guy did it. I though a BMW M Roadster would be like a Miata on steroids. Well no...it was an understeering pig until it finally broke the tail loose...and in big style. Once is all it took for a ride to the 10A tirewall (driver left). I would not recommend that vehicle to anyone.

Note to instructors: Ask the student what everyone on the forums say about the handling of the car. AFTER the wreck, the driver said "Most people think it is stupid to turn off the traction control as this thing has a nasty snap oversteer." And you tell me this NOW???

The rest of the weekend was well run (Thanks Dave) even when Group 4 decided to create a LONG mid-race pause. I would have enjoyed myself, by I was wrenching on the car WAY more than normal. Sunday's race was a complete blast with Deerwester and Murdick...congrats to Ricky D with the podium!! Well deserved after fighting with the two ITA "creative" drivers. I was content to just hang back and wait for the mayhem...

--------------------
David Watts
GLDiv #66

d mathias Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Car #: 88
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for d mathias     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Congrats on your first Mid-O win Rick. Deb was in our car Sunday so I was a spectator - you guys put on a great show. Once again BIG thanks to Kim and Dave Watts for helping me repair my car for Saturday's enduro after the ITA driver got "creative" on Charlie Campbell during the sprint race and I got caught-up in it.

Overall - GREAT weekend - Thanks OVR-SCCA.

-Denny

[ 09-09-2009, 07:49 PM: Message edited by: d mathias ]

soupy

Region: Mohud
Car #: 98
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for soupy     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Creative isn't the word I would use. More like ignorant. I had a blast most of the weekend. Thanks again to Denny and Jeff for an amazing 1 hour run. It made up for some of the bad moments.
Dave, I'm going to stop helping you work on your car, it rubs off on mine.
Very well run event, weather was great. Thanks to all.

--------------------
Charlie Campbell
Race Engineering
carbotech brakes

D Watts Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Just going in circles

Region: Neohio
Car #: 66
SMIM: dwatts66
Icon 1 posted  Profile for D Watts   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

What? I didn't lose a front wheel bearing. It was a rear. Your car was just jealous of all the attention you were giving my car. Sounds like it has issues.

--------------------
David Watts
GLDiv #66

JST #16 Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Detroit
Car #: GLD. # 16
Year : 1994
Icon 1 posted  Profile for JST #16     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Sorry I couldn't stay for the fun on Sunday, but I had a great time in the Enduro. Charlie and Denny, that was the most fun I've ever had racing. Thanks to both of you for the hardest / cleanest racing I've had to date. Too bad I ran out of talent with a few laps to go. Got a little wide in turn 1 and found the marbles. Rick, sounds like congratulations are in order. Very cool!

--------------------
Jeff Thompson
SM #16 - Detroit Region
Great Lake Division

d mathias Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Car #: 88
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for d mathias     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Jeff, I missed catching you after the race, great racing with you and Charlie. BIG BIG FUN!

-Denny

Thanks to all for the kind words. Winning my first Mid Ohio race was a rush - particularly against a solid field. Despite some VERY close racing with Brian, Dave and the two ITA cars, I don't think there was so much as a touch between us all. [thumbsup]

That said, I suspect that Brian Murdick was about out of brakes near the end and David Watts was almost certainly preserving his car for the Runoffs. To that end Dave, all the best there!
Rick

--------------------

soupy

Region: Mohud
Car #: 98
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for soupy     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Jeff, sorry I missed you too. Had a blast running with you and Denny, would do it any time.

--------------------
Charlie Campbell
Race Engineering
carbotech brakes

Motor City Hamilton

Region: Great Lakes/Detroit
Car #: 51
Year : 1994 Miata
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Motor City Hamilton     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Hey Denny, Charlie, Dave Heckler and sorry, don't know your name in the silver #17 car, I had a great time racing against you at Mid Ohio this past weekend. Very close racing and I didn't see any contact between Miata's at the front of the field. I love to race with guys who respect each other and race clean. The only damage I got from the weekend was my own spin in front of the field. Sorry for that and glad you all missed me.

Here is a link to my video. Can't figure out what happened to the sound half-way through, but I'm working on fixing that. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhX6wckD2CQ

Hope to see you all again in October at Mid O.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: