Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Sports Car Club of America » SCCA Great Lakes » 2010 I.T.Spec*tacular July 31-Aug 1 (Page 2)

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic
Page 2 of 2 1  2 

Author Topic: 2010 I.T.Spec*tacular July 31-Aug 1
Jerry Cabe Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Cincy / Great Lakes Div
Car #: 10
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jerry Cabe   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Denny,

To the best of my knowledge, there are no passing restrictions during Mid-Ohio's T&T; just hitting restrictions. I'll certainly try to find out a concrete answer for everyone. BTW, this T&T is limited to those participating in the race weekend.

Jerry

--------------------
Just driving SM until the F-1 car is ready.

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jerry Cabe   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I also have it on pretty good info that Mr. Tiley may be attending the IT/SPEC*tacular in a borrowed car. Maybe he should talk to Kuch about that first.

My car could be available if Dan brought up one of those RE powerplants for us to drop in Friday evening.

I'm starting to get excited!

Jerry

--------------------

Motor City Hamilton

Region: Great Lakes/Detroit
Car #: 51
Year : 1994 Miata
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Motor City Hamilton     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Hoping to attend. Add +1 to the Miata count.

Jerry - before you go for that engine upgrade, I think I'll let you borrow my lead filled right footed driving shoe. It's heavy enough that my floor board is beginning to dent under the accelerator pedal.

Dan Tiley Verified Driver Series Champ
Are you followin' me, camera guy???

Region: SEDIV
Car #: 33
Year : Whatever's Available!
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dan Tiley     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Cabe:
I also have it on pretty good info that Mr. Tiley may be attending the IT/SPEC*tacular in a borrowed car. Maybe he should talk to Kuch about that first.

My car could be available if Dan brought up one of those RE powerplants for us to drop in Friday evening.

Jerry

It looks like this is the case, and I think I will avoid any bad mojo by talking to Kuch about my weekend loaner.

As for RE powerplants... I'll have a plenty of room in the truck to bring up all the RE motors you can stand, built to the new 2010 rules. 1.6L cars have been whooping up on the 99's in the SARRC lately. Kinda nice to see the 1.6L's back in the game.

--------------------
Dan Tiley

Sponsored by Race Engineering

Spec Miata's fastest and best supported engine program!

Tefkatt

Region: Cincinnati
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Tefkatt     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Just 12 days to go and the number of SM's keeps going up. Now +14. With drivers from Georgia, New Jersey, North Carolina, New York and Massachusetts. 94 entries overall. Plus we have our first SSM entered. Check out the latest registration list at

http://www.motorsportreg.com/index.cfm/event/event.sta...1B9-4676-26C5A0CB2B044D65

Todd

Tefkatt

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Tefkatt     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

With little over a week to go we are +18 in SM and 104 total entries. [Cool]

Tefkatt

Just 5 days to go till registration closes. 114 total entries with 17 in SM.

Tefkatt

Registration closes Wednesday at 12 pm. + 20 in SM with the addition of Mark Bennett.

Remember no late fee if registering and paying on line!

Todd

38BFAST Verified Driver

Region: Waterford Hills
Car #: 38
Year : 96
Icon 1 posted  Profile for 38BFAST     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Wow! Mark at Mid-O. Who would have thought. Maybe we need a new SM class, SM-MB so everyone else has a shot at the high step of the podium [Big Grin]

--------------------
Ralph Provitz
2008 WHRRI SM Champion
2008 WHRRI Top 10 Overall
V2 Motorsports, Race support, Data Dude

Qik Nip Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Loose Member '09 & '10 Great Lakes Regional Points Champion

Region: Cincinnati Great Lakes
Car #: 60
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Qik Nip     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by 38BFAST:
Wow! Mark at Mid-O. Who would have thought. Maybe we need a new SM class, SM-MB so everyone else has a shot at the high step of the podium [Big Grin]

If I'm fortunate enought to be in the top four either day, I'm gonna convince myself Mark wasn't really there!
Rick

--------------------
Fortune Cookie Racing SM 60
Directions for use: Race, Rumple, Repair ... Repeat!

Tefkatt

Less that 24 hrs. till registration closes. SM is up over 20 entries and growing.

Weather forecast for the weekend.

Thursday Night: Clear, with a low around 61. East wind between 5 and 8 mph.

Friday: Sunny, with a high near 77.

Friday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 58.

Saturday: Partly sunny, with a high near 82.

Saturday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 60.

Sunday: Partly sunny, with a high near 82.

d mathias Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: OVR
Car #: 88
Icon 1 posted  Profile for d mathias     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Frickin sweet.

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Qik Nip     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Sounds like I won't need to turn on the AC in the Miata!
Rick

--------------------

D.B. Cutler Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Huge Member

Region: Detroit
Car #: 5
Icon 1 posted  Profile for D.B. Cutler     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Saturday results:

Bennett
Tiley
Deerwester
Watts
Scheuing
Watson
Picut
Hechler
Ruggiero
Boehly

Sundays results:

Bennett
Tiley
Scheuing
Boehly
Deerwester
Hechler
Ruggiero
Watts
Cutler
Johnson

D.B. Cutler Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Huge Member

Region: Detroit
Car #: 5
Icon 1 posted  Profile for D.B. Cutler     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thanks to all of the people who put on the best regional in the Midwest !! Great racing all weekend with a lot of very fast cars !! Very happy with the overall weekend and my results.

On a lone sour personal note: I'd really like to stop getting punted in the carousel by guys from New England. That's the second year in a row by the same team. FREAKEN' KNOCK IT OFF !!! You can't pass someone on the outside of the carousel, period. Stop trying it. Hitting someone in the back and trying to cause them to spin is not passing. I hear other people got the same treatment. There, I feel better.

Icon 1 posted  Profile for d mathias     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Great weekend! Great racing! Thanks Todd and all the Cincy region volunteers. My favorite event of the summer.

Interesting note: MB gets pole for Saturday's race. Lets the entire field roll by on the grid and starts last. By lap 9 of 20 he's leading.

-Denny

D Watts Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Just going in circles

Region: Neohio
Car #: 66
SMIM: dwatts66
Icon 1 posted  Profile for D Watts   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Great event, great racing. Deerwester gave me a scare when he lost track of where 4th gear was in his car (the same problem Bennett had in the morning). The only contact was with getting a bump draft mid-carousel by aforementioned NEDiv driver. I actually had a good time racing with the other NEDiv Driver. There was some good close side-by-side action with no paint swapping. Schuing, Cutler, Watson(?), Ruggerio, Deerwester. [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

As for the changes to the 96 at Mid-O, I liked the front bar, but my setup was off so I still understeered. The new gearing was better in most corners but it blows going into 11. The weight/plate change I did not get a good read on. I was able to go faster, but that was just me remembering how to take the Carousel. And turn 1. And turns 7 through 9. Oh, and 13.

Using my Washington political problem solving skills, I am able to say with 100% certainty that the extra weight and power from the bigger restrictor will cause your wheel bearings to fail. I made the changes and the VERY NEXT TIME ON TRACK, the wheel bearing couldn't even make it 12 laps! It held together until the finish was the grinding at 110mph was making me grit my teeth. Check those bearings 1.8 drivers. [Big Grin]

The only negatives to the entire weekend were the Mid-Ohio test session (extra $45 for not preregistering and the NASA-style black flags) and the paddock. It is starting to fall apart everywhere but the completely paved area and they put gravel down around the tech shed. Dumbest move ever (ask Deerwester). Oh, and the new Mexican place doesn't have magaritas on Sundays.

Look forward to this event every year! Keep up the good work!!

--------------------
David Watts
GLDiv #66

Yep Dave, this weekend's project is removing the 2 pound of pea gravel that stuck to my hot tires going to 'impound all'. Question: does Mid-O ever calibrate their scales?

Forgot to mention, great to see all our race buddies!

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dan Tiley     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

As always... my favorite event of the year! This is such a unique event, it's a great way to mix up the season a bit. And I'm not just butt kissing because I won the raffle for a free entry next year [thumbsup]

It's always great to get a chance to see and race with my old Ford buddies (Cutler, Thompson, Scheuing, Johnson, Berchin), as well as the the rest of the Great Lakes usual suspects. Speaking of which, I think those Deerwesters were trying to get me fat and drunk all weekend. Interesting little statistic: Of the 24 Spec Miata Drivers at the event, at least 9 are Engineers! No wonder it never rained all weekend... that place was so dry, the rain could never reach the ground!

Thompson definitely provided the most entertainment of the weekend when he forgot how to use a lug wrench, and decided to chew his wheel off instead. Reports suggest that alcohol may have been involved...
 -

And with all of the sweat equity he put in when trying to remove his wheel, he lost so much weight his suit was just a touch loose on him for the rest of the weekend...
 -

As for the stones at the tech shed, I applaud Mid-O for giving me the extra 4 pounds I needed (in the form of embedded stones) to make weight. The stones also make for a sweet rain tread pattern in your tires... that is after they fling off onto every windshield within a 50 ft radius.

Thanks a ton to Jason Owenby for letting me borrow his car! That thing is a rocketship, and although I took my fair share of jabs for the ostentaciousness of the giant yellow RE birds, the RE motor made great power all weekend. Thanks also to RE's Bob Thornton for all of the weekend support with setup. I just about wore him and his cellphone out calling to run setup changes by him. Thanks to his help, we had it nailed for the three races. People should take advantage of his help whether running his engine or not. He's a great resource when you're lost for ideas and will offer his help to anyone.

And of course, congratulations to Mark Bennett on a 4th straight IT-Spec Overall victory. We're all gainin' on you buddy! At this rate, you're in serious trouble for the 2019 IT-SpecTacular Event! We'll see you next year!

--------------------
Dan Tiley

Ditto:
Congrats to Mark for a great driving exhibition both days and ditto the comments on the intense (and clean racing)all weekend.

Dan Tiley and I ran nose to tail Saturday for ten+ laps and a lot of turns side by side with nary a tap.

My apologies to all (especially Watts)who were behind me on Sunday when I needed lost and found to locate third gear at the start. I went from P3 to P13 in short order but I had a great time working back to fifth.

Unfortunately by the time I got there, my 19 cycle RA1's were toast and that was all I had.
Looking forward to the next Spectualar!
Rick

--------------------

quote:
Dan Tiley and I ran nose to tail Saturday for ten+ laps and a lot of turns side by side with nary a tap.
With Deb in the car Sat. I was a spotter/spectator in the esses. That was fun to watch Rick.

Tiley beats Bennett in Sun. qualifying race.

By the way... The guys who ran their SM's in Friday's PDX along with the 4 Ferrari's that were running about 50MPH in the straights (in the Advanced/Instructor's group) will find this video from this thread spot on...

http://forum.specmiata.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?/topic/2/4863.html#000013

My favorite moment was passing the Ferrari F430 with the "F1 CHAMP" vanity plate in the straightaway.

--------------------
Dan Tiley

quote:
Originally posted by d mathias:
Yep Dave, this weekend's project is removing the 2 pound of pea gravel that stuck to my hot tires going to 'impound all'. Question: does Mid-O ever calibrate their scales?

Apparently Breckbrueller did so at some point (because they have a banner proudly proclaiming that do so), but they are sorely in need of recalibration. Sunday I ran 20 laps and lost 13 pounds. Go figure.
Rick
P.S. Hey, maybe it was all the gravel I picked up on the drive leading to the scales!

--------------------

A big Thank You to all that came out for this year's edition of the IT/SPEC*tacular. I didn't get a chance to get around to visiting with everyone because of other commitments, but I did have a lot of fun playing at the back of the field.

That photo of Jeff and his modified wheel is great.

I also was complaining about Deerwester throwing the pea gravel all around the garage as he dug it out of his tires. I commented that "I never pick up that much gravel", and then it dawned on me that I never have to go to impound. Well the stewards took care of that by Impounding All NA's just so they could tell us that we were permitted to be 10 pounds lighter for the race we just finished.

The M-O scales seemed pretty good for my vehicle, but I'm pretty sure they were having issues of the gravel getting down into the scale plates.

As always, if you have any suggestions on how we can improve the event, I'm always happy to be a conduit to the Race Committee.

And, as I hope you had the opportunity to visit the PACE Formula Car display, my F1 ride is just about ready, even if I'm not. Just a good engine tuning session followed by suspension tuning, and we hope to have it on a track.

Jerry

--------------------

Just a final thumbs [thumbsup] up to the organizers and workers involved in the 2010 IT Spect*ular for getting MyLaps data uploaded by Monday morning. Outstanding! A truly world class (regional) event run as well as a racer could expect.
Rick

--------------------

motorrock

Region: DC Region
Icon 1 posted  Profile for motorrock     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Dan Tiley:
As always... my favorite event of the year! This is such a unique event, it's a great way to mix up the season a bit. And I'm not just butt kissing because I won the raffle for a free entry next year [thumbsup]

It's always great to get a chance to see and race with my old Ford buddies (Cutler, Thompson, Scheuing, Johnson, Berchin), as well as the the rest of the Great Lakes usual suspects. Speaking of which, I think those Deerwesters were trying to get me fat and drunk all weekend. Interesting little statistic: Of the 24 Spec Miata Drivers at the event, at least 9 are Engineers! No wonder it never rained all weekend... that place was so dry, the rain could never reach the ground!

Thompson definitely provided the most entertainment of the weekend when he forgot how to use a lug wrench, and decided to chew his wheel off instead. Reports suggest that alcohol may have been involved...
 -

And with all of the sweat equity he put in when trying to remove his wheel, he lost so much weight his suit was just a touch loose on him for the rest of the weekend...
 -

As for the stones at the tech shed, I applaud Mid-O for giving me the extra 4 pounds I needed (in the form of embedded stones) to make weight. The stones also make for a sweet rain tread pattern in your tires... that is after they fling off onto every windshield within a 50 ft radius.

Thanks a ton to Jason Owenby for letting me borrow his car! That thing is a rocketship, and although I took my fair share of jabs for the ostentaciousness of the giant yellow RE birds, the RE motor made great power all weekend. Thanks also to RE's Bob Thornton for all of the weekend support with setup. I just about wore him and his cellphone out calling to run setup changes by him. Thanks to his help, we had it nailed for the three races. People should take advantage of his help whether running his engine or not. He's a great resource when you're lost for ideas and will offer his help to anyone.

And of course, congratulations to Mark Bennett on a 4th straight IT-Spec Overall victory. We're all gainin' on you buddy! At this rate, you're in serious trouble for the 2019 IT-SpecTacular Event! We'll see you next year!

Gotta check those gravity cast wheels....!!!

--------------------
philstireservice.com
philstireservice@aol.com

Alright, Jeff Loewe has his photos of the event up on his website at www.jolfoto.net . You can see almost all the weekend's events there, split between the PDX on Friday and the races on Sat/Sun. Jeff does a great job of capturing people and their cars, so check them out and if you find something you like, his prices are very reasonable. If you look at some of the last photos on Sunday, you will see the biggest issue I have with driving the Formula Car.

I'll see some of you at Grattan this weekend,

Jerry

--------------------

Tefkatt

Hi everyone,

Results are posted at My laps. Here is the link.

http://www.mylaps.com/results/showevent.jsp?id=573652

Tefkatt

BTW, Jeff's web site is http://www.jlofoto.net sorry for the confusion.

Sorry,

I must have had too many jolo shots.

Jerry

--------------------

quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Cabe:
Sorry,

I must have had too many jolo shots.

Jerry

>>>Click Here<<<

--------------------
Dan Tiley

Page 2 of 2 1  2 

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: