Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Sports Car Club of America » SCCA Great Lakes » Nelson Ledges June 12-13

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Nelson Ledges June 12-13
d mathias Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: OVR
Car #: 88
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for d mathias     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

http://www.neohio-scca.org/

Come on, all the cool kids are doing it.

Seriously, are you gonna let a schmoe like me get a podium for just showing up?

-Denny

Motor City Hamilton

Region: Great Lakes/Detroit
Car #: 51
Year : 1994 Miata
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Motor City Hamilton     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Denny,

I am planning to attend, provided that the car starts once I dig it out of it's winter storage position. It's been a busy winter, so have spent zero time on the race car.

Keith

Motor City Hamilton

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Motor City Hamilton     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Is there a test and tune event on Friday. I haven't been to Nelson yet. Do you know who to contact about camping on Thursday night?

Icon 1 posted  Profile for d mathias     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Keith,

Check out: http://www.nelsonledges.com/default.aspx

There appears to be a test day Friday 6/11, 10am-4pm

Motor City Hamilton

I'll be there to play in the scattered thunder showers with you Denny. Will you be there on Friday?

D.B. Cutler Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Huge Member

Region: Detroit
Car #: 5
Icon 1 posted  Profile for D.B. Cutler     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Sorry Denny, I'm heading North to the F1 race ! Enjoy the podium !!

Keith, Friday pm just to set-up. Be careful where you paddock - avoid low areas when rain is forecast.

Dan, drink a La Fin Du Monde for me, and try the crepes - they're like really thin pancakes. [Smile]

Qik Nip Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Loose Member '09 & '10 Great Lakes Regional Points Champion

Region: Cincinnati Great Lakes
Car #: 60
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Qik Nip     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Denny:
So far we're coming. The plan is to arrive around 1:00 and do the T&T. I am watching the weather however!
Rick

--------------------
Fortune Cookie Racing SM 60
Directions for use: Race, Rumple, Repair ... Repeat!

B(Kuch) Kucera 45 B(Kuch) Kucera 45 has just turned 43 Verified Driver
Veteran Member

Region: NeOh
Car #: 45
Icon 1 posted  Profile for B(Kuch) Kucera 45   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Keep saying it's NOT GOING TO RAIN!!!!!!!!!

Stop saying the R word!

--------------------
Bob
!KUCH!

"All my drinking buddies have a racing problem"

Gatoratty Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Central Florida
Car #: 3
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Buy rain tires.....never rains that way!

--------------------
Paul McLester

Motor City Hamilton

I'll go one step further. I mounted the rain tires on the car tonight just to make sure it won't rain this weekend.

You should keep rain tires on your car all weekend - just to be sure. [Big Grin]

Rick, are you going to let a few little things like torrential rain, potential of getting hit by lightening, ankle-deep mud, Africa-hot temperature, and the possibility of launching your car on top of a West Nile carrying mosquitos the size of small birds-filled tire wall stop you from coming are you?

-Denny

Qik Nip Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Loose Member '09 & '10 Great Lakes Regional Points Champion

Region: Cincinnati Great Lakes
Car #: 60
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Qik Nip     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I left after the qualifying session Sunday (when I determined that my litle Saturday transmission issue of "occasionally" slipping out of fourth wnen I lifted went from "occasional" to "always")and just learned of Kutch putting his car on it's lid Sunday. Hutch okay and what happpened?
Rick

--------------------
Fortune Cookie Racing SM 60
Directions for use: Race, Rumple, Repair ... Repeat!

Kuch had the wisdom to be driving someone else's car (Tex Melotti's) when he hit the tire wall. Apparently Bob dropped a wheel entering T3 and with the overnight rain took off toward the tire wall. My in-car video shows Bob barrel-rolling along the wall - I'll try to post it soon. It looked uuuugly. Deb told me over the radio that Bob was out of the car and OK before the field came back around. Damage to Tex's car looks cosmetic - tub appeared straight.

Other than that it was a good weekend, the rain never came during the day and good racing.

Sat.
1. David Scott
2. Keith 'MC' Hamilton
3. Tex Melotti

Sun.
1. David Scott
2. 'MC'
3. me [Big Grin]

Motor City Hamilton

Denny, I have the first half of that video, but he passes out of fram just as the car hits the wall and begins to go airborn. I actually didn't know that he flipped it until you guys told me afterwords in tech. David and I were still kind of battling as Kutch slid off.

I liked that track. We'll probably make an annual visit over there.

spdmonkey Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Car #: 08
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for spdmonkey     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Seems to me the smartest of the bunch may have been Rick....

db

EBudman Verified Driver
Idle Member

Car #: #71
Icon 1 posted  Profile for EBudman     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Holy Schnikes... Hope Bob is OK today & Tex's car is salvageable!

Jones made it sound like Tex was on the verge of having a pretty good weekend, but it sounds like everything that could go wrong, did.

Eric

Motor City Hamilton

Tex lead the first half of the Saturday race with a couple of car links lead, but spun in front of David and I in the carrosel.

Bob lead the first two laps (maybe 3???) by two or three car lengths when spun off of three heading into four (Oak Tree??).

Veteran Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for B(Kuch) Kucera 45   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm doing fine but Tex's car has seen better day's! [banghead]

Tex's car is all cosmetic damage and is repairable and I was working on it tonight.I can't wait until I see the video,he said I went end over end into a barrel roll and landed on the tire's.I can't believe it never touched the roof or hood at all,but got every other body panel!

I never hit my head until I got into the ambulance were I hit my head twice! [Confused] [boggled]

I was wondering if I get a ten for sticking the landing? [Big Grin]

I just wish I had my car,it was great weather for good lap times on Sun.I would have been in the low 1:17s maybe even in the high 1:16.Well I guess there's all way's next race!

--------------------
Bob
!KUCH!

soupy

Region: Mohud
Car #: 98
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for soupy     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Bob,Glad you are ok. Cars can be fixed.
Now do you understand why I was so far back a couple weeks ago?

--------------------
Charlie Campbell
Race Engineering
carbotech brakes

planet-miata.com

Region: NEPA
Car #: #00
Year : 20th century
Icon 1 posted  Profile for planet-miata.com   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by d mathias:

Other than that it was a good weekend, the rain never came during the day and good racing.

Sat.
1. David Scott
2. Keith 'MC' Hamilton
3. Tex Melotti

Sun.
1. David Scott
2. 'MC'
3. me [Big Grin]

congrats to david on both days. looks like my father's car will be doing just fine in it's new hands!

--------------------
#1 Supplier of New and Used Miata parts
http://WWW.PLANET-MIATA.COM

Marc Cefalo

#00 1996 ITA
#00 ???? SM

quote:
I can't believe it never touched the roof or hood at all
That's because you were airborne.

Veteran Member

quote:
Originally posted by d mathias:
quote:
I can't believe it never touched the roof or hood at all
That's because you were airborne.
I always wanted to be a pilot! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Bob
!KUCH!

Veteran Member

quote:
Originally posted by soupy:
Bob,Glad you are ok. Cars can be fixed.
Now do you understand why I was so far back a couple weeks ago?

Charlie,I'm the same way.It wasn't my car and that's why I was only driving it about 60%.If I was driving at 100% (my car)it would have been over the tire wall and alot more uglier then it was!

--------------------
Bob
!KUCH!

pat slattery Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: cincy
Car #: 79
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for pat slattery     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Glad to see you survived well Bob

Pat Slattery

--------------------
keeping the faith for the 1.6

Arrow Karts

Motor City Hamilton

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgeWdofC--g

First half of Kuch's crash. Denny, do you have the rest?

Yep, Won't have a chance to download it until this weekend.

FWIW

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wUpJfBG3bA

D.B. Cutler Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Huge Member

Car #: 5
Icon 1 posted  Profile for D.B. Cutler     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Was this yet another one of the famous Nelson Ledges tire wall incidents? If so, why can they just fix those damn things once and for all?

EBudman Verified Driver
Idle Member

Car #: #71
Icon 1 posted  Profile for EBudman     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I guess I didn't realize the Nelson Tire walls were broken Dan.

I do realize that the Nelson Ledges tire wall is not of the design currently recommended by the FIA, but neither is the track surface, verge, runoff, fencing, armco, pit lane, paddock, etc.(MOST U.S. tracks aren't either)

I say the tire wall would be fine if there was something besides grass between the track & the tires, but then again, this wouldn't be an issue if we could all keep our cars on the track. I like the premise that if I lose control & head for the tire wall, it will be anyones guess as to whether I bounce off & drive away with no damage or end up on my roof.... kinda like Russian Roulette.... go off & take your chances! Must be why I like an open-face helmet, no H&N gizmo, no RH net, no Halo seat & LeMons.(even though Jay is afraid of real race tracks)

Eric

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: