Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Sports Car Club of America » SCCA Great Lakes » Cheap rear ends

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Cheap rear ends
J. Douglas

Region: San Francisco
Car #: 72
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for J. Douglas     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

For give me if this sounds off the wall. Might have some merit though.
Back in my Dirt track days we used to weld up the spider gears in the diff on our stock cars. It was a cheap way to make a solid axle rear end.
Would this work in a Miata? Let the jokes begin.
Jerry

Motor City Hamilton

Region: Great Lakes/Detroit
Car #: 51
Year : 1994 Miata
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Motor City Hamilton     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Front drive cars, yes, on some tracks. Tried this on a Honda Civic in ITC and made the car agressive, but not smooth. Went back to a clutch type diff. Miata? I wouldn't. Seems like it would make the car awefully loose???

The dirt track oval teams that I crewed for were always fighting for front grip. Weld the diff. Paved ovals was more hit and miss. Not to many liked the welded diff.

In a Miata, it just seems like it would scrub a ton of corner speed. We have very little power to pull us through mid corner and off. Oval cars are usually V8s.

Steven Holloway Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Blue Eyes, Aquarius, hates being squeezed to the grass in SowDiv!

Region: Lonestar
Car #: 97
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Steven Holloway     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I had a defective madacomp lsd that was basically like running a spool. The car turned in good, but pushed HORRIBLY under throttle since we don't have enough power to throttle steer.
I wouldn't recommend it.

--------------------
If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's got electrical problems.

Johnny D Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Hot Member

Region: SFR
Car #: 88 SM
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Johnny D     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Oh, you guys are talking car parts here, Nevermind, carry on. [Big Grin]

B Wilson Verified Driver Series Champ
Gold Member

Region: Oregon
Car #: 68
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for B Wilson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Ask anyone, I'm the biggest cheapass on the planet!

-bw

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ
2010 Monte Shelton Driver of the Year
2010 25 Hours of Thunderhill E3 and Under 2 liter Overall Champion
Oregon Region SM Class Advisor

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: