Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Sports Car Club of America » SCCA Great Lakes » Mid Ohio - Sept 3 - 5 Roll Call (Page 1)

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic
Page 1 of 2 1  2  next » 

Author Topic: Mid Ohio - Sept 3 - 5 Roll Call
Z-MAN Verified Driver

Region: Mid-South
Car #: 54
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Z-MAN     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Checking to see who's attending the races that weekend?

I'm looking for someone that might be interested in sharing a garage - if there are any left?

My main reason for making the drive up north is so my family that lives in the area can come check us out - anyone have any crew spots they can use - Can't believe Mid-Ohio charges for spectators at an SCCA double regional week end...

Thanks

Mark Zwolle

D.B. Cutler Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Huge Member

Region: Detroit
Car #: 5
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for D.B. Cutler     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm going but I couldn't get approved the loan necessary to rent a garage. I think there will be plenty left.

Z-MAN Verified Driver

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Z-MAN     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by D.B. Cutler:
I'm going but I couldn't get approved the loan necessary to rent a garage. I think there will be plenty left.

I hear that...

Now I remember why I don't race at Mid-Ohio very much... Missed the really early registration deadline +45, everyone in your group over three +10 each, Garages??? Priceless... ($140)

But it is still cheaper then Barber...

MZ

Jerry Cabe Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Cincy / Great Lakes Div
Car #: 10
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jerry Cabe   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Mark,

Email me if you still need extra crew. I typically only have at most one, so I should have 2 or 3 open spots. jcabe@belcan.com

The only thing I ask is that you help take out a few of the cars ahead of me (which is most of the field).

Jerry

--------------------
Just driving SM until the F-1 car is ready.

Z-MAN Verified Driver

quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Cabe:
Mark,

Email me if you still need extra crew. I typically only have at most one, so I should have 2 or 3 open spots. jcabe@belcan.com

The only thing I ask is that you help take out a few of the cars ahead of me (which is most of the field).

Jerry

Now I know you don't know what happened last time I tried to race at Mid-Ohio..

Never made it to turn one - ITA car spun me into the wall on the start straight - big mess about 6 cars wiped out...

This time I'm glad there won't be any IT cars - only those little SRF's and they don't like to mix it with us so it should be fine.

In any case my goal is just to not tear up the car and get back on the track so I'll probably be behind you...

MZ

d mathias Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: OVR
Car #: 88
Icon 1 posted  Profile for d mathias     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Supps say we get a split start - hope they follow through on that.

Z-MAN Verified Driver

quote:
Originally posted by d mathias:
Supps say we get a split start - hope they follow through on that.

Supps say no gap though so the slower cars at the back of the front group (probably SRF) will be getting pushed by the fast cars of the rear group.

I hope they bring up start procedures at the drivers meeting - Guys leaving big gaps and trying to get a run will be a problem again

And I hope they wave off a bad start - I'd rather waste a lap then have someone in the wall again.

MZ

Motor City Hamilton

Region: Great Lakes/Detroit
Car #: 51
Year : 1994 Miata
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Motor City Hamilton     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Is there a test and tune run group for Friday? The PDX supps looked like all instructor session PDX and an S2000 run group.

And are SM allowed in the Saturday handicap race? I don't see us listed.

Z-MAN Verified Driver

There is a Twilight Test and Tune starting at 3:30 according to the Mid-Ohio School website.

I am registered - $150 - 3 sessions

MZ

Dwayne Hoover Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dwayne Hoover     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Z-MAN:
quote:

I hear that...

Now I remember why I don't race at Mid-Ohio very much... Missed the really early registration deadline +45, everyone in your group over three +10 each, Garages??? Priceless... ($140)

MZ

Ever been to the ARRC? If you value your own time at only $10 per hour, the time you spend standing in lines and trying to park is more than $140!

Then again, I haven't been back since 2005, so I could be outdated.

--------------------
Visit the Midland City Arts Festival!

spdmonkey Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Car #: 08
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for spdmonkey     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

To address some issues. Mid-Ohio does not allow spectators on Club weekends. We (SCCA) allow "crew", but need to limit as M-O see's the free as a run around their spectator rules.

There will be a split start ( If requested) with the SRF and the SM right behind to try and keep from losing any tail ender SM's more than a lap.

PDX has a group for advanced and instructors as well as F2000 Pro. Plenty of room in the PDX. The schedule for the PDX is not complete and the one on the web is 'in progress'.

The saturday handicap race is open to SM.

If you want to enter the TRACK test and tune be sure to enter it early. last time the price went up for on the spot reg. This is a track event and not an OVR or SCCA event.

Hope this helps....

db, RE

Z-MAN Verified Driver

quote:
Originally posted by Dwayne Hoover:
quote:
Originally posted by Z-MAN:
quote:

I hear that...

MZ

Ever been to the ARRC? If you value your own time at only $10 per hour, the time you spend standing in lines and trying to park is more than $140!

Then again, I haven't been back since 2005, so I could be outdated.

I have been to the ARRC, I've been going for the last 6 years, in the past it was a nightmare at registration but they have gotten much much better... I got through it in about 15 minutes last year. You just have to remember to pre-register or they make you get in a line to talk to the one lady who is doing them and there are always a bunch of guys that don't pre-register.

Oh and Road Atlanta soaks you for everything... Guests $10 each, Parking for your guests $10, Burgers $10, Drinks $5... Oh and the races are expensive and so is the test day.

They don't have any garages but the weather in November is usually nice and I do love Road Atlanta so I go every year...

Maybe if I can make a whole race at M-O I'll probably love it too...

MZ

Motor City Hamilton

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Motor City Hamilton     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by spdmonkey:
To address some issues. Mid-Ohio does not allow spectators on Club weekends. We (SCCA) allow "crew", but need to limit as M-O see's the free as a run around their spectator rules.

There will be a split start ( If requested) with the SRF and the SM right behind to try and keep from losing any tail ender SM's more than a lap.

PDX has a group for advanced and instructors as well as F2000 Pro. Plenty of room in the PDX. The schedule for the PDX is not complete and the one on the web is 'in progress'.

The saturday handicap race is open to SM.

If you want to enter the TRACK test and tune be sure to enter it early. last time the price went up for on the spot reg. This is a track event and not an OVR or SCCA event.

Hope this helps....

db, RE

Sorry. Almost clear. So the PDX is during the day and managed by OVR. There may also be an evening test and tune hosted by Mid Ohio?

Z-MAN Verified Driver

This is what I know - there is a Test and Tune in the evening 3:30 to 8:00.

Here is the link:
http://www.midohio.com/Store/School-Courses/Raci...Testing---Tuning-Full-Day

MZ

Icon 1 posted  Profile for spdmonkey     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

MCH-- You got it. OVR is doing the PDX. Register on motorsportsreg.com. My contract says I have the track until later in the day than the 3:30 noted above by Z-man. Should be tons of time for the PDX advanced/instructor group. We may still need instructors who are qualified so PM me if you have interest. PDX instructors can enter for a modest fee and they get tracktime although PDX rules do apply.

db

Icon 1 posted  Profile for d mathias     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Mid-Ohio does not allow spectators on Club weekends.
How come they do for NASA events?

Dave, I'm requesting a split start please.

-Denny

Motor City Hamilton

quote:
MCH-- You got it. OVR is doing the PDX. Register on motorsportsreg.com. My contract says I have the track until later in the day than the 3:30 noted above by Z-man. Should be tons of time for the PDX advanced/instructor group. We may still need instructors who are qualified so PM me if you have interest. PDX instructors can enter for a modest fee and they get tracktime although PDX rules do apply.

db

Thank you.

soupy

Region: Mohud
Car #: 98
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for soupy     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Make that 2 for a split start

--------------------
Charlie Campbell
Race Engineering
carbotech brakes

Z-MAN Verified Driver

I want a real split start - not a no gap split start.

MZ

Motor City Hamilton

I think I read that the intent of keeping the split start gap tight is to avoid having slower Miata's from being lapped more than once. So instead of costing a few Miatas some track time, we will put the group of fastest Miatas (usually 6 or so running right on top of each other)right on top of the slower Spec Racers.

Hmmm... one of these two options sounds a bit safer/

Its supposed to be about a 10 second gap, but it never seems to be communicated properly......

Denny--NASA is not a club. They have different requirements for their events and their contract is different from ours.

db

Huge Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for D.B. Cutler     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Well, an interesting weekend to say the least !! The Saturday start was a disaster with almost no gap left between us and the SRF cars. However, I had a great early race with Keith Hamilton and then a whole lot of fun trying to run down Campbell, Watts and Murdick.

With one lap to go, I was able to get a really nice run coming out of the keyhole and right onto Charlie's bumper. However, exiting the keyhole I put the outside rear wheel off, hooked and spun sending the car careening sideways toward the gravel trap. The gravel did it's job an gently flipped me unto my roof. I thus became the first of three white SM victims of the Keyhole exit.

I want to express my deepest thanks to the corner workers who pulled me out of the car and to the flat tow boys for being so gentle with it as well. GREAT JOB GUYS !! THANKS !!

The car looks to be surprising good with the exception of a broken mirror, some dents and small cracks on the roof. All in all, it could have been much worse.

The worse part of the whole thing was that I WAS SEVENTH !!!!

JST #16 Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Car #: GLD. # 16
Year : 1994
Icon 1 posted  Profile for JST #16     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Big congrats to Mr. Scheuing for his double wins this weekend. He was definitely on it all weekend. I finally worked out some of the handling ills on my car and had my best weekend this season. I had an awesome time racing with the Webster / Rushbrook team. It was also great that Charlie Campbell made the trip. Always fun to race with Charlie. As always, it was great to see Deb and Denny Mathias, The Deerwesters and Mr. and Mrs. Watts. Great way to end the season. [thumbsup]

On the flip side (pun intended), I'm glad I painted my car. White was not the color to have in the key hole. No one wants to see there fellow racers upside-down or on their side. I'm just glad no one was hurt. The double green split start on Sunday was way better than Saturday.

--------------------
Jeff Thompson
SM #16 - Detroit Region
Great Lake Division

Motor City Hamilton

I had a fun, but frustrating weekend. Fun racing. Charlie, Watts, Cutler and I couldn't have been closer matched. Good, close racing and none of us traded any paint. That's the way regionals should be.

Gremlins were following me all weekend. Had left front wheel bearing go on Saturday morning and the right side went on Sunday afternoon. Both in the same weekend. What are the chances. I guess they have an exact shelf life. I will not longer be rebuilding old ones each season. I'm buying brand new front bearings and hubs at least every two seasons, if not every. A bunch of other crazy stuff with trailer wiring, motor home turn signals, communication wouldn't work, cameras died and some other wierd stuff. Voodo stuff like the right turn signal/brake lights going bad on my truck, motor home and race car all on Friday. I considered staying home.

Had fun anyway. Look forward to the October 9&10 Mid O event.

Motor City Hamilton

Just looked at my video. My camera barely caught the #37 (Jeff Getchal?) white car doing it's flip. I didn't see it happen live, just saw dust there on the way through. All you can really see on the video is dust then a Miata sitting on it's side. I'll clip and post it.

Motor City Hamilton

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLIRg4-4bFw

Not that great of vidoe, but it's not every day you see a Miata sitting on it's side. Glad Jeff is O.K.

D Watts Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Just going in circles

Region: Neohio
Car #: 66
SMIM: dwatts66
Icon 3 posted  Profile for D Watts   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

That was a fun weekend...since I wasn't driving a white SM. I'm not sure that the last guy in the white 89 (who I don't know - I hope it all turned out alright) technically pulled off a "Cutler" but he got good technical scores for sticking the landing on all 4. It is not as easy as it looks. Dan only made it half way over. Then the 31 went too far and did 1.25 rolls, although he gained style points for balancing on the driver side.

All-in-all I was happy that there was not more carnage. Favorite quote of the weekend: "Spec Wrecker and Smash Miata in the same group...What could go wrong?!" The Saturday race was nuts with single SRFs racing the SM lead pack tooth and nail. We all played fairly nice behind them and I think we punted no more than 2 of them during the race. All unintentional I'm sure.

It was great racing with the Michigan crowd (Cutler, Thompson, Hamilton...not Shuey as he was in a hurry and ran away), Charlie, Ricky D, and Murdick as always. Great tight racing. Murdick, sorry for all the dust and rocks I threw at you, but I was busy watching the SRF/SM fiasco in front of us. Too bad 1) Hamilton's bearing went and 2) they ended the race early....it was going to be a great dogfight to the end. When can we do this again? (To clarify: race again, I could do without all the "Culter" moves in the Keyhole.)

--------------------
David Watts
GLDiv #66

B(Kuch) Kucera 45 Verified Driver
Veteran Member

Region: NeOh
Car #: 45
Icon 1 posted  Profile for B(Kuch) Kucera 45   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Ok what kind of times,pro course or non pro course and in what order did you guy's finish?

Watts are you going to do race out there in Oct.?

--------------------
Bob
!KUCH!

"All my drinking buddies have a racing problem"

Just going in circles

Icon 1 posted  Profile for D Watts   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Dunno yet. I may head to VIR instead or be convinced to run both. Right now I am having transmission troubles and need to figure out what I plan to do. Syncro spring on #2 came out the drain plug. I just avoided 2nd gear the rest of the weekend! I'll trying to figure out where I put the results.

--------------------
David Watts
GLDiv #66

Huge Member

John ! Congrats on the double win !! I heard something about a time which was under the existing track record?

Motor City Hamilton

Scheuing 1:42.745 in Sunday morning qualifying. Noted on results as better than existing track record.
Ruggiero 1:43.2
Hamilton 1:43.6
Murdick 1:43.8
Campbell 143.9
Deerwester 1:44.2
Thompson 1:44.4
Watts 1:44.7
Schroer 1:44.8

B(Kuch) Kucera 45 Verified Driver
Veteran Member

Region: NeOh
Car #: 45
Icon 1 posted  Profile for B(Kuch) Kucera 45   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Motor City Hamilton:
Scheuing 1:42.745 in Sunday morning qualifying. Noted on results as better than existing track record.
Ruggiero 1:43.2
Hamilton 1:43.6
Murdick 1:43.8
Campbell 143.9
Deerwester 1:44.2
Thompson 1:44.4
Watts 1:44.7
Schroer 1:44.8

So it was on the pro course. [thumbsup]

--------------------
Bob
!KUCH!

"All my drinking buddies have a racing problem"

Jerry Cabe Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Cincy / Great Lakes Div
Car #: 10
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jerry Cabe   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Saturday was Club Course (2.4 miles) and Sunday was Pro Course (2.258 miles).

Jerry

--------------------
Just driving SM until the F-1 car is ready.

AJ Roderick

Region: Neoh
Car #: 56
Icon 1 posted  Profile for AJ Roderick   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I had a blast racing with everyone this weekend, hopefully with more experience I can move up towards the front! It was the first time I had a chance to drive at Mid-Ohio so what a experience that was. Thanks to Charlie Campbell and Dave Ciufo for the help with our truck issues. It sure was a bummer they shortened our race on Sunday.

--------------------
AJ Roderick
http://www.ajroderick.com
aroderick56@gmail.com

Motor City Hamilton

I think we were all in the 1:45's on Saturday on the club course.

Qik Nip Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Loose Member '09 & '10 Great Lakes Regional Points Champion

Region: Cincinnati Great Lakes
Car #: 60
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Qik Nip     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Great double win John! Guthrie and Ruggerio were very quick as well.

Saturday:
Scheuing
Guthrie
Deerwester

Sunday :
Scheuing
Rugerrio
Deerwester

It was unfortunate that we had a "white Miata curse" in play all weekend and I'm very glad the affected SM pilots were all right.

On the topic of the no gap SRF / Miata start on Saturday, I sincerely hope that OVR has seen the light. We need a split start with a separate green flag next time out.
Rick

--------------------
Fortune Cookie Racing SM 60
Directions for use: Race, Rumple, Repair ... Repeat!

Z-MAN Verified Driver

Great weekend, I think I had the only white Miata that didn't have issues in the Keyhole...

Too bad those damn Spec Wrekers couldnt play nice... I was just getting the track down when they threw the checkers. Nothing like race laps to show you were your slow...

You guys put on a great weekend - Thanks. I think I'll be back...

MZ

quote:
Originally posted by Qik Nip:

On the topic of the no gap SRF / Miata start on Saturday, I sincerely hope that OVR has seen the light. We need a split start with a separate green flag next time out.
Rick

Rick,
Its not the region--its the Steward(s) that make the decision. Trust me I try and communicate, but at some point it gets out of our race committee's hands. Please don't hold it against us. Thanks to all for coming especially those that helped in ANY way with the PDX. The PDX WILL be improved and changed up next year.

Dave Brown
OVR-SCCA, RE

Motor City Hamilton

We did get our own green on the Sunday split start. I see that the October 9th/10th supps read split grid with no gap like this past weekends supps read. If there are different stewards for the October event, let's inform them of how the starts went this past weekend.

Saturday, the start was very confusing for most of us. I wasn't sure when we went green. The start was o.k., but catching the SRFs on lap 3 or 4 with the lead Miatas still in a tight pack lead to carnage. Sunday was much cleaner.

Z-MAN Verified Driver

Why does this region insist on putting the two biggest classes together???

IMO the two types of cars are not compatible for a combined group - SRF are really open wheel cars with bodies - they should run with the other open wheel cars - just my $.02

MZ

Qik Nip Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Loose Member '09 & '10 Great Lakes Regional Points Champion

Region: Cincinnati Great Lakes
Car #: 60
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Qik Nip     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Qik Nip:

Rick

Rick,
Its not the region--its the Steward(s) that make the decision. Trust me I try and communicate, but at some point it gets out of our race committee's hands. Please don't hold it against us. Thanks to all for coming especially those that helped in ANY way with the PDX. The PDX WILL be improved and changed up next year.

Dave Brown
OVR-SCCA, RE

Dave:
Thanks for the clarification. OVR runs great events.I'll certainly be back and have already registered for the October event (and as an instructor at the PDX).

But we do need to impress on the SOM's that a separation between the SRF pack and the SM's is essential. Saturday, we were on the SRF back markers at turn one and they had already caused issues by the exit affecting the race's outcome.

On Sunday, we addressed the issue by lagging, but I suspect it caused a bit of confusion in the back of the SM pack when we went "green". Next time out, a self paced SM group with a separate green is what's needed.
Rick

--------------------
Fortune Cookie Racing SM 60
Directions for use: Race, Rumple, Repair ... Repeat!

AJ Roderick

Region: Neoh
Car #: 56
Icon 1 posted  Profile for AJ Roderick   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:

On Sunday, we addressed the issue by lagging, but I suspect it caused a bit of confusion in the back of the SM pack when we went "green". Next time out, a self paced SM group with a separate green is what's needed.
Rick

At least from my view, it was pretty clear the front rows were lagging to give them some room between us and the SRF's. I just accelerated when everyone else did [Big Grin]

--------------------
AJ Roderick
http://www.ajroderick.com
aroderick56@gmail.com

soupy

Region: Mohud
Car #: 98
Icon 1 posted  Profile for soupy     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Sunday we had 2 green flags. That was much better. The big problem was the Spec wreckers were about as crazy as I've ever seen them. I'm not sure what they were trying to prove but they looked like a pack of northeast spec miatas. [duck]
Congrats to John. Good seeing everyone again, as usual a lot of good hard clean racing. Someday maybe I'll figure that track out. I sure wish I had Sundays start to do over again, I'm pretty sure things would have been a little different.
Now I need to get all you guys up to the Glen.

--------------------
Charlie Campbell
Race Engineering
carbotech brakes

Motor City Hamilton

Charlie - we were in the line that didn't bump draft. Someone about 3 or 4 cars back in the other row had some ponies or jumped the start a little. I thought I read something in the Chief Steward's written drivers meeting about no bump drafting? Hmmm?

I certainly didn't have enough motor to get to John's bumper. Just pushed the pedal through the floor and hoped we weren't 4 wide at turn one. Go crate motor, go.

Just going in circles

Icon 1 posted  Profile for D Watts   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

What are you guys complaining about? I thought the Sunday start was great! We weren't bump drafting. We were, uh, just, um, push starting, yeah, that's it. [Big Grin] What else was I to do? That 4 car train just connected and went!

Not that you need any pointers Keith, but having my wife call the green and being ready for an early green always helps. I needed all the help I could get to stay ahead of you.

--------------------
David Watts
GLDiv #66

Huge Member

I finally washed the wreck...er, car last night. Who left the light blue paint on my front bumper?

quote:
I thought I read something in the Chief Steward's written drivers meeting about no bump drafting? Hmmm?
Keith, Every Chief Steward in the country says no bump drafting. (Nudge, nudge, wink, wink, say no more).

Radios were very helpful this weekend - calling greens, spotting flipping Miatas and spinning serfs...

P.S. helpful tip for others - if you cross the start/finish line in the gravel trap, like when you're avoiding spinning SMs, the transponder does not register your lap. This did not occur to me until I checked the provisional results well past the 30 minute limit to protest. T&S took pity on my dumb ass and gave me my lap back. Thanks workers!

Motor City Hamilton

I actually got to the pedal pretty quickly. Starting in the second row, I was able to see the flagger's elbo raise for the green and I gunned it. Just didn't have the motor to get anywhere.

The start on Sunday was a pretty good start. Having our own green was a very smart decision.

Motor City Hamilton

quote:
I finally washed the wreck...er, car last night. Who left the light blue paint on my front bumper?

Hmmm. I've never asked others how a different color of paint got onto MY front bumper. Shouldn't you have had the best view of that?

datadude

Icon 1 posted  Profile for datadude     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Dave - You are correct on the loop at start finish at MidO - Unlike every other track the loop literally stops at the end of the track and does not extend into the gravel and that is the way it has been as far as I can remember. They hould have had timing lights set up that would have produced an unassigned photcell hit when you went through the gravel. So this little experience should once again re-enforce all to look at provisional postings

Page 1 of 2 1  2  next » 

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: