Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Sports Car Club of America » SCCA Great Lakes » OVR - Tires and Tire rules for Regionals?

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: OVR - Tires and Tire rules for Regionals?
Z-MAN Verified Driver

Region: Mid-South
Car #: 54
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Z-MAN     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I've spent the better part of an hour trying to find out if there is a tire rule supplement in the OVR - heading to Mid-Ohio next week end and I wonder what I'll do if it rains - all I have is R-888 full treads.

What is the OVR tire rule? Is it the GCR rules or do they have a Regional/Divisional Rule?

Anybody want to clue me in on this - Use old tires an Mid-Ohio thing? Does the track eat up new tires?

Also - anyone know who the tires suppliers are? I'd hate to have to get new tires but I might have to.

MZ

JST #16 Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Detroit
Car #: GLD. # 16
Year : 1994
Icon 1 posted  Profile for JST #16     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Great Lakes Division has open DOT tire rule for SM regionals. Run what you have.

--------------------
Jeff Thompson
SM #16 - Detroit Region
Great Lake Division

D.B. Cutler Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Huge Member

Car #: 5
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for D.B. Cutler     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The theory is that "Mid Ohio likes old tires". I've looked at the tires on the cars of the guys at the pointy end of the grid and a lot of times they really are running near done RA1s.

Last time I was there I used prime Hoosiers and the car was really fast, so I'm not so sure I buy into the old tire thing anymore.

Jerry Cabe Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Cincy / Great Lakes Div
Car #: 10
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jerry Cabe   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Last time I was there I ran some new Hoosiers for one session. That was my slowest of the weekend. But as those who know how I drive, it probably had nothing to do with the tire.

Any tire is welcome for the regional races in GLD - wet or dry.

Jerry

--------------------
Just driving SM until the F-1 car is ready.

Z-MAN Verified Driver

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Z-MAN     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm trying to find trackside tire support for Mid-Ohio.

Anyone know who might be there with Toyo's or Hoosiers???

Can anybody help with this?

MZ

D.B. Cutler Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Huge Member

Car #: 5
Icon 1 posted  Profile for D.B. Cutler     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Z-Man,

Try Hoosier Tire Midwest-Plymouth at 574-936-8344.

Motor City Hamilton

Region: Great Lakes/Detroit
Car #: 51
Year : 1994 Miata
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Motor City Hamilton     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Stupid Fast Tires. 330-573-4338

Just ordered my Hoosiers from him today. He didn't have any in stock, so call right away.

Dave Lewis

Region: detroit
Car #: 17
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dave Lewis     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Can I assume you are going to Mid-O this w/e Kieth? If so give me a call please.

Z-MAN Verified Driver

Looking forward to a good race weekend, weather looks pretty good - should be fun...

I just checked out the registration list and I wonder why they would put the two biggest classes SRF & SM together in the same group???

All of the other groups are pretty small - SRF and SM = 35 cars...

MZ

Motor City Hamilton

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Motor City Hamilton     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I looked at the typical lap times of the SRF field vs. the regional level Miata racers. If they do indeed put a 10 second gap between our groups for the split starts, things should spread out pretty well before we catch any of the SRFs, if we catch any of them.

Slowest SRFs in the 1:42 to 1:45 lap time.
Fastest of the Miatas 1:43 to 1:45s.

I didn't calculate the other way, when the fastest SRFs running 1:38s to 1:41s will catch Jerry's SM. [Smile]

Z-MAN Verified Driver

Or me... I'm going to be pretty rusty - haven't been on track since Nov...

MZ

d mathias Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: OVR
Car #: 88
Icon 1 posted  Profile for d mathias     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I was told that SRF and SM were grouped together to accomodate the F2000 series. I'd love to watch the F2000 race - problem is they are group 4 and we're group 5. I've probably watch the first few laps of group 4 and then hustle back to my paddock to put on my funny suit.

Motor City Hamilton

Ok, since I am a data geek, I had to do the calculation. I used fastest Mid-Ohio lap times for 2009/2010. Brian Murdick ran a 1:43. All of his laps will not be 1:43s, but neither will all of Jerry's be 1:52's.

Jerry, start checking your mirrors on lap 6 as the Spec Reckers will be under your rear bumper. And I mean under your bumper. Good luck seeing them. I don't think the Spec Reckers can catch you for a second time.

Then Brian in his SM should be coming around near the end of lap 12 or beginning of his lap 13. How much do you charge to be a pick for me on the last lap?

I don't think the lead Spec Reckers can catch the front of the SM field?

As for the back of the Spec Reckers, the front of SM should catch them near lap 5. Should be spread out enough to race through, but maybe someone should alert the last three cars that side by side with Miatas closing on lap 5 might not be such a good idea.

Jerry Cabe Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Cincy / Great Lakes Div
Car #: 10
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jerry Cabe   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Keith,

"I didn't calculate the other way, when the fastest SRFs running 1:38s to 1:41s will catch Jerry's SM."

That just hurts, true...but it still hurts. [yep]

And I usually don't have trouble seeing the SRF's - my buddies on the corners love to practice with their Blue Flags.

Jerry

--------------------
Just driving SM until the F-1 car is ready.

d mathias Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: OVR
Car #: 88
Icon 1 posted  Profile for d mathias     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Jerry,

I think Keith is just pissed cause you're leading the regional points. He's trying to get in your head - focus Daniel-san.

You know, one of your corner buddies could 'accidently' throw a black when the #57 rolls by. Just say'n...

Motor City Hamilton

I think you might be onto something, Denny.

Motor City Hamilton

I can't frick'n wait to race this weekend. Have only made it out a couple of times this year so my right foot is feeling very heavy. The entry list looks like a good group of regional racers and no national runoffs cars to watch drive away from us. With 20 cars entered, I can just see four packs of about 5 cars each battling away. There should be someone to run against at every regional experience level. I love races like that. No paint trading, no ITA cars in the way, lots of Miata position changes. Can't wait.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: