Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Sports Car Club of America » SCCA Great Lakes » 99+ shock hat instal - bushing compression tool

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: 99+ shock hat instal - bushing compression tool
Matt Johnson Verified Driver

Region: Detroit
Car #: 73
Year : 1990
Icon 14 posted  Profile for Matt Johnson     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I made a tool this evening that anyone in the detroit area is welcome to borrow to compress their upper shock bushings to get the nut started. Makes it an easy one person deal rather than something you need 3-4 hands to do...

--------------------
Matt Johnson
1990 SM #73 - yet another red miata.

Richard Pressman Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: WDC
Car #: 87
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Richard Pressman     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Would you post a picture...please?

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Matt Johnson     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Would love to, but no digital camera and I am traveling for work for the next couple of weeks...

Very simple design, all from scrap laying around the garage; 2 x 1/8" steel plate with a hole drilled through via a 1.5" hole saw (hole is of course a bit bigger than that), then 2 slots cut into each plate paralell to each other and tangential to the hole (so that what you are left with is a "U" shaped opening. I drilled holes into one of the plates and welded bolts to the other such that the bolts go through the holes on the mating plate. The bottom slides into the convex part of the top hat and the top goes over the washer, then you run a nut onto each of the bolts and that compresses the bushing. Come to think of it, there is really no need to make the top plate anything but a plate with 1 big and 2 small holes...

All told, I probably spent < 1 hour on this with n angle grinder, vice, and mig...

--------------------
Matt Johnson

Veteran Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Richard Pressman     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Got it.
Thanks!

Qik Nip Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Loose Member '09 & '10 Great Lakes Regional Points Champion

Region: Cincinnati Great Lakes
Car #: 60
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Qik Nip     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Richard:
Just curious. What are you doing about the space between the upper bump stop perch and the hat?

I've stopped in my tracks because it seems all wrong to give up a third of the 3/4" gain
Rick

--------------------
Fortune Cookie Racing SM 60
Directions for use: Race, Rumple, Repair ... Repeat!

Veteran Member

At this point, nothing. Chances are we will be in SSM trim for the 2008 season and won't be allowed to use the '99 hats. I was just interested to see what Matt had come up with.

Jacob Groves Verified Driver

Region: NASA Southwest
Car #: 77
Year : 1996
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jacob Groves     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

you can also use coat hanger wire applied very tight then tighten down the bolts to compress. Worked very well.

Jake

--------------------
"This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons!"

JD Morris Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
A slower JD...

Region: SF
Car #: RIP #56
Year : --
Icon 1 posted  Profile for JD Morris     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by jacob300zx:
you can also use coat hanger wire applied very tight then tighten down the bolts to compress. Worked very well.

Jake

Cool idea, thanks!

JD

Jacob Groves Verified Driver

Region: NASA Southwest
Car #: 77
Year : 1996
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jacob Groves     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I can't take credit. My Dad come up with it when I was late coming home from work and he was ready to get started. I came over to his house and saw that he had put the last two shocks in. I asked him how the hell he did it by himself and he stated that he had made a tool. He owns a machine shop and I could just see some trick part cut out of stainless on the waterjet in my head. He then shows me the coat hanger! haha

--------------------
"This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons!"

David de Regt Verified Driver

Region: NWR
Car #: 47/479
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for David de Regt   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm sure I'm just retarded, but please explain the coat hanger thing in a little more detail? I'm obviously missing how to do this. =)

--------------------
My Spec Miata Build Sheet - Hope people find it useful
 -

Edwin Ho Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
I Am Canadian

Car #: 65
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Edwin Ho   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Matt Johnson:
Would love to, but no digital camera and I am traveling for work for the next couple of weeks...

AZ? I'm heading up to the U.P. tomorrow and then to AZ on Mon for a couple of weeks. Go-karting? Bar? Both?

Ed.

--------------------
Edwin Ho
www.ehmotorsports.org

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Matt Johnson     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Both! Skipped karting last night to go to a bar... trying to save money (yes, I know that is sick and twisted - but true as beer is less adictive to me than karting).

Did it cool back off in the UP? They had good snow last week when I was up there, but the forecasts were for 50+ deg and rain...

Guess it is better to go there early in the season before all the good booze is gone (damn IVD folks always seem to dain the town of Grey Goose before I get there) :-)

--------------------
Matt Johnson

Edwin Ho Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
I Am Canadian

Car #: 65
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Edwin Ho   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I think it was above freezing at the beginning of the week, but it cooled off a little since. Not cold enough though. The handling roads got rutted up and ice on the grades got kinda mushy. I'll give you a call when I get into town.

Ed.

--------------------
Edwin Ho
www.ehmotorsports.org

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: