Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Sports Car Club of America » SCCA Great Lakes » New Regional at Mid-Ohio Oct 11-12 (Page 1)

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic
Page 1 of 2 1  2  next » 

Author Topic: New Regional at Mid-Ohio Oct 11-12
spdmonkey Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: OVR
Car #: 08
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for spdmonkey     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The Ohio Valley Region is going to announce an additional opportunity to race at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course in 2008. We have secured Oct. 11-12 and it will be a carbon copy of our September event. With the reduction in the number of races at Mid-Ohio over the past few years its nice to grab back a date. Yes this goes head to head with the Runoffs©, but we think it will be a great event. I also heard whispers that a large SCCA event might be coming back and now that we have this date......

db

Dwayne Hoover Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dwayne Hoover     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Yes this goes head to head with the Runoffs© ...
db [/QB]

OK, but now that Phil Mather went there once, you should have the entire SM population of CENDiv and GLDiv and West NEDiv as possible entrants. [Wink]

--------------------
Visit the Midland City Arts Festival!

luckymiata76

Region: South Bend
Car #: 76
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for luckymiata76     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

This could be a huge event if done right. GLDIV and CENDIV drivers didn't attend the 2007 Runoffs in huge numbers and this might be a lot of fun.

--------------------
Jeff Luckritz

Heritage Racing Group

Region: STEEL CITIES
Car #: 15
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Heritage Racing Group     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I don't understand why WOR games isn't that weekend. I have run WOR games the last 2 years and I thought it too was the same weekend as the RunOffs. I see that they (WOR) lost the date and is going to run at Nelsons...... is this who took their date...another SCCA region??

Greg

Icon 1 posted  Profile for spdmonkey     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Heritage Racing Group:
I don't understand why WOR games isn't that weekend. I have run WOR games the last 2 years and I thought it too was the same weekend as the RunOffs. I see that they (WOR) lost the date and is going to run at Nelsons...... is this who took their date...another SCCA region??

Greg

No OVR did not take the WOR Games date. That date went to a Porsche Club. This date came available yesterday and we were given 24 hours to put it together. We decided to do it. In fact we were offered another date as well. Its important to know that the track rental for M-O is quite expensive and not all regions can do it on short notice. I personally had nothing to do with it despite being the Competition Chair of OVR. The credit goes to our BoD who have a great relationship with M-O. This weekend could have easily gone elsewhere such as BMWCCA or PCA etc, but we were given the opportunity to take it. I also thank Mid-Ohio for giving an SCCA region first chance. Mid-Ohio falls into OVR's territory so we grant other SCCA regions the ability to run there. Its all very confusing, but we would love to teach any OVR members that want to join the race committees for our races. WOR had already made plans when this came up.

db

d mathias Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Car #: 88
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for d mathias     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I heard that the Western Ohio Region (WOR) dilly-dallied too long on applying for the date, and subsequently lost it.

I was wondering what I was going to do in October. Now I know. Thanks Dave.

-Denny

seriousracer Verified Driver

Region: sbr
Car #: 44
Icon 1 posted  Profile for seriousracer     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

if you need help down there let me know i will make the trip

--------------------
No racing is real unless you are fighting door handle to door handle for the line into the next blind right hand turn. Real roads, real trees ,real men rally.

pat slattery Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: cincy
Car #: 79
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for pat slattery     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

It would be awesome if we could draw more entrants in SM than the Runoffs.

Pat

--------------------
keeping the faith for the 1.6

Arrow Karts

D.B. Cutler Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Huge Member

Region: Detroit
Car #: 5
Icon 1 posted  Profile for D.B. Cutler     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Wow ! Cool ! If I have tires left I'll try to make it.

soupy

Region: Mohud
Car #: 98
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for soupy     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

There you go, same weekend as a big one at the Glen. You can count out most of NEDIV.

--------------------
Charlie Campbell
Race Engineering
carbotech brakes

Qik Nip Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Loose Member '09 & '10 Great Lakes Regional Points Champion

Region: Cincinnati Great Lakes
Car #: 60
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Qik Nip     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Same weekend as NASA Putman. Count me in for Mid Ohio!
Rick

--------------------
Fortune Cookie Racing SM 60
Directions for use: Race, Rumple, Repair ... Repeat!

Dwayne Hoover Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dwayne Hoover     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Is this race really happening? The date progression is confusing ....

--------------------
Visit the Midland City Arts Festival!

Absolutely! We have sanction numbers and entry forms will be arriving in mailboxes within days. Its been on the books since March. This will be carried over in future years as well.

db

Jim Feniello Verified Driver

Region: North East - Steel Cities
Car #: 75
Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jim Feniello   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Any update on this?

downingracing

Icon 1 posted  Profile for downingracing   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Entry is in the mail. Thanks to everyone who came out this past weekend to the OVR Double. I had a great time with all you SMs! And that is saying a TON coming from an ITA driver [Smile]

--------------------
Matt Downing
www.downingracing.com

Huge Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for D.B. Cutler     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

So who's going ?!?!?

Jerry Cabe Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Cincy / Great Lakes Div
Car #: 10
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jerry Cabe   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

If my doctor clears me to race, I plan to be there. OK, even if he doesn't I plan to be there. I may need a broom handle to close the door, but I plan to run.

Jerry, aka Clumsy

--------------------
Just driving SM until the F-1 car is ready.

Icon 1 posted  Profile for d mathias     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

D&D are in.

sirois737 Verified Driver

Car #: 37
SMIM: n/a
Icon 1 posted  Profile for sirois737   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm in if Denny and Deb are going. They are my source of lug nuts for the Miata.

Thanks again Denny.

--------------------
Den

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jerry Cabe   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Just spent some time with my ortho doctor. He doesn't seem to think racing this event is such a good idea for me. His exact words were, "Yes you can race, but if you do, let's go ahead and schedule surgery to put screws in your arm right after that". Not being so young and foolish, I've decided to keep it in the sling so I won't have to have surgery.

I'll still be there though, just not driving.

Jerry

--------------------

Doctors always try to talk you out of doing anything fun. He's just trying to scare you. [Wink]

Z-MAN Verified Driver

Region: Mid-South
Car #: 54
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Z-MAN     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I think I might make the race - I have other reasons to be in the area and I'd love to mix a race in.

I've never raced the track - Is their a test day on the 10th? If yes does anyone know how much it is? And where to register for it?

Thanks,

Mark Zwolle

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Qik Nip     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by D.B. Cutler:
So who's going ?!?!?

I'm in. See you there Dan. Stop by garage #14 for an adult refreshment (you too Cabe). You can drink with one wing right? [yep]
Rick

--------------------

Rick,

You should know me by now, I can drink with no hands. Standing up is a different subject though. BTW, have you bought Garage 14? You've had it all summer.

Jerry

--------------------

Z-Man, no Friday test day (except maybe Mid-Ohio $chool)

http://www.ovr-scca.org/_roadrace/schedules.asp

Just watch the link below and do the exact same thing and you'll do fine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPN76HnQM40

The regional events at Mid-O are pretty laid back, and a lot of fun!

quote:
You should know me by now, I can drink with no hands.
Jerry, isn't that what got you in this situation to begin with? [duck] [Razz]

By the way, the Ohio Valley Region is collecting toys at this event that will be donated to patients at Columbus Children's Hospital.

http://www.ovr-scca.org/downloads/roadrace/Toys%20poster.pdf

quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Cabe:
Rick,

You should know me by now, I can drink with no hands. Standing up is a different subject though. BTW, have you bought Garage 14? You've had it all summer.

Jerry

Yep! It's like home to me now.
Rick

--------------------

Z-MAN Verified Driver

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Z-MAN     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

It's looking very promising for me that week end - anyone interested in splitting a garage?

Mark Zwolle

jtsuhr

Region: Western Ohio
Car #: 96
Year : 1996
Icon 1 posted  Profile for jtsuhr     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Looks like fun - I sent in my registration over the weekend.

-Jim

--------------------
- Jim Suhr

"Jerry, isn't that what got you in this situation to begin with?"

I have to be honest, alcohol was involved; since I was headed toward the cooler to get a beer when my trailer ramp jumped out in front of me, completely ignoring the safety cone I had placed beside it.

Jerry (AKA Clumsy)

--------------------

quote:
Originally posted by Z-MAN:
It's looking very promising for me that week end - anyone interested in splitting a garage?

Mark Zwolle

Mark:
I may have a half to share, but I won't know for a bit yet that garage mate is coming. He's busy addressing some damage from the NASA Nationals and isn't positive yet if he can make it.
Rick

--------------------

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jerry Cabe:
I have to be honest, alcohol was involved; since I was headed toward the cooler to get a beer when my trailer ramp jumped out in front of me, completely ignoring the safety cone I had placed beside it.
(QUOTE]

Bad cone. Bad. Bad. Bad.

--------------------

Hey Mr. Z, this almost never happens but this may give you a reason to be at Mid-O Friday 10/10. From the OVR/SCCA chief registrar:

Participants of the OVR SCCA regional, October 11-12, can get on track for this special Test & Tune session at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course on Friday, October 10. Use this program to scrub some tires, calibrate your brakes and get your car set up for a weekend of racing at Mid-Ohio! A detailed Track Walk conducted by The Mid-Ohio School's instructors is also available for an additional fee in the morning.

PRICE: $150 (exceptional OVR SCCA value as regular Test & Tune is $195 for guaranteed 60 minutes of track time) *Includes three 25-minute sessions on track (12:00 noon - approx. 4:30 p.m. with driver's meeting at 11:45 a.m.)
*A track walk is available for an additional $50 fee (10:00 a.m. - 11:30 a.m.)

Enroll in advance please at http://www.midohioschool.com or by calling 877-793-8667!

Drivers that will be participating in the track walk should plan on checking in on the 2nd floor of the Goodyear Tower between 8:30AM-10:00AM.

Drivers that will NOT be participating in the track walk should plan on checking in on the 2nd floor of the Goodyear Tower between 10:30AM-12:00PM.

Drivers will be split into groups based on type of car. You must use your own competition car, and the car must meet your Series' safety requirements. If multiple drivers will be using one car, the first driver must pay full price of class and each additional driver must pay 50 percent of price of the class. No passengers in any car - at any time.

All cars are subject to random inspections throughout the test sessions.

Driver Eligibility: All drivers must present proof of a current SCCA, NASA Competition or HPDE4 license, Professional Sports Car Racing, VSCDA, SVRA, Vintage National License, RCCA, Pro-Rally, NASCAR, CART, FIA, EMRA, car club competition license or CASC license. Certificates documenting the completion of a racing course from an accredited driving school within the past 12 months may also be accepted.

Patty Schwall
Customer Relations Coordinator
The Mid-Ohio School
877-793-8667
pschwall@midohio.com

Z-MAN Verified Driver

That's reasonable - I'm in - See you guys on Friday morning.

I visited the track last year for the NASA Nationals and got pretty lost - Does anyone know the actual address of the track entrance so I can use the GPS?

Thanks,

Mark Zwolle

7721 Steam Corners Road, Lexington, Ohio 44904-0108, between SR 314 and SR 97. Just west of Lexington Ohio.

Z-MAN Verified Driver

That will make it easy - Thanks

Anybody have any idea how many SM's are entered?

MZ

I believe there is currently a good field of 19 SM's and 8 other entries in Group 2. Sadly, I'm not one of them. With only a total of 28 SM's going to Topeka, I expect more will come out to play at Mid-Ohio.

Jerry

--------------------

Z-MAN Verified Driver

I expected more then that as well - any idea of the total entries?

I believe you're right with the low turn out for the Run-Offs I'm sure there will be more entries - I missed the late entry deadline so I'll register when I get there.

This will be my first time racing this track so you guys will have to give me a few laps to figure out how to stay out of the way until I get up to speed.

I look forward to running with you guys, see you next week.

Mark Zwolle

Jim Feniello Verified Driver

Region: North East - Steel Cities
Car #: 75
Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jim Feniello   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Any idea when the early registration drawing for garages is taking place?

-jim

Bill Pruitt Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
You know you miss him...

Region: WMR
Car #: 18
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Bill Pruitt     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Can't find results on mylaps or ovr site.

Bill we are not that fast yet! Give it a couple days.

db

At least one car was destroyed at the start of Saturday's sprint race, reportedly due to an out-of-class car/driver. [Frown] [nope]

Bill, Saturday's sprint race top 5 (if memory serves):

Guthrie
Murdick
Budwit

Saturday's enduro: (again, if I can remember that far back)

Heckler
Denny Mathias [thumbsup] [Big Grin]
Murdick
Budwit
Guthrie

Sunday's sprint:

Murdick
Guthrie
Heckler

(edit: we almost matched the Runoffs in entries, I believe we had 24 SMs)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by d mathias:
[QB] At least one car was destroyed at the start of Saturday's sprint race, reportedly due to an out-of-class car/driver. [Frown] [nope]

Denny:
That destroyed car would be me. The incident was in my opinion unnessary, but frankly it was still a racing incident. I bear no malice.

Here's what I believe happened. Disclaimer: Bearing in mind that the worst witness is often the one in the middle of the fray. To make matters worse, the first hit was so violent that my camera pivoted 90 degrees and only shows how effective my Hans was! [Eek!]

The ITA car in question was lacking a functioning fourth gear so he was slow overall, but very quick at the start. As I shifted to third and was completing a pass on the left, he made hard contact with my bumper and pushed me. My car's rear went left, the front right and with him still in firm contact, it rotated hard right. Then a (totally innocent Z man) hit my RF, spinning me hard counter clockwise and into the wall nose first.

My car continued to rotate with the right rear catching the wall as it came to rest. That wasn't the end unfortunately, because another ITA car couldn't get shut down and T boned my passenger side.

The car looks pretty sorry. I have a body shop coming over to make a house call today to see if anything can be done to save it. [Roll Eyes]
Rick

--------------------

Hope you and Mark Z are OK. It looked ugly from the patio in the esses. Mid-O had to move the pit wall back in place after your hit.

Huge Member

Nip, I talked to Tex later in the day. I think the IT car hit you first and got you loose then your car went across Tex's nose which continued your rotation and then you were hit again to rotate you back across the track. Poor Tex has a nasty scuff on the front of his car.

It all happened right in front of me because, for once, I had a great start going. Unfortunately, my camera was set to the wrong setting so I don't have any video of it. I wish I had that video as I had a great view.

IMHO, it was a nasty incident which was completely avoidable.

Huge Member

Also, I ran the 1 hour enduro on my full tread rains just for fun. The car was 5 full sec slower on these tires than slicks !!!

Bill Pruitt Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
You know you miss him...

Region: WMR
Car #: 18
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Bill Pruitt     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Denny Mathias, second in the enduro, with no contact, no crashes, not even talk of a bump draft. This, my friends, is against the natural order of things. Just so wrong.

Oh there was bump drafting - mainly Eric Budwit shoving me closer to Murdick.

quote:
Originally posted by D.B. Cutler:
Nip, I talked to Tex later in the day. I think the IT car hit you first and got you loose then your car went across Tex's nose which continued your rotation and then you were hit again to rotate you back across the track. Poor Tex has a nasty scuff on the front of his car.

IMHO, it was a nasty incident which was completely avoidable.

Dan:
Glad I inserted the disclaimer! You obviously had a better view that I did. I had considered Tex being in there somewhere, but with all of Zman's left side damage, I assumed Tex had somehow gotten away without a mark. Sorry that he ended up with a nasty on his bumper cover. He too was entirely innocent. I guess the ITA driver was suffering from an acute case of red haze. Too bad.

Aside from a sore lower back and a stiff neck, I'm fine.
Rick

--------------------

Z-MAN Verified Driver

I'm ok, and glad to hear Rick is too. We both hit pretty hard.

To start off with I have to say I think Mid-Ohio is a great track and you guys are a great bunch - Although I think Club Racing needs to take a page out of the Pro Racing handbook and move the starts to the back straight - there is just no room to maneuver when there's an incident.

I had no idea how the incident started, I was on the outside of the 7th row and Rick was a couple of rows ahead of me on the inside so I didn't see him get pushed. A couple seconds after the green flag I found myself in the middle of a pack of cars just when Ricks car came into view already out of shape. All the cars to the left started pulling right to avoid the incident and I felt like the cream filling in and Oreo cookie getting squeezed out. Then I think someone must have got into my left rear because all of the sudden the car made a hard left that sent me straight into Rick and the wall.

The car should be ok too - It's in the garage and without all the crushed body work it doesn't look to bad. We have a pretty experienced frame/body shop here in Memphis - Thanks to Drago, Mac and I they are pretty good at getting them straight so I should get her back on the street pretty quick.

Hope to race with you guys at M.O. next year.

Mark Zwolle

Close This Window

Page 1 of 2 1  2  next » 

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: