Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Sports Car Club of America » SCCA Great Lakes » 2009 Great Lakes - spec tire or still open tire? (Page 2)

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic
Page 2 of 2 1  2 

Author Topic: 2009 Great Lakes - spec tire or still open tire?
Motor City Hamilton

Region: Great Lakes/Detroit
Car #: 51
Year : 1994 Miata
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Motor City Hamilton     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm still a little confused. Getting ready to order my tires for my season June through Oct. All I plan to run this season are Great Lakes Regionals. Can I run SM6 Hoosiers in Spec Miata? I'm not asking about an SMT class. I want to run Spec Miata.

spdmonkey Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: OVR
Car #: 08
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for spdmonkey     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

In ALL GLDiv Champ Series races the SM tires are OPEN. That means as long as the entry form says the race is part of the Champ Series that any tire you want is fine. Thats the only exception to the GCR rules for SM. Buy those Hoosiers, Kumhos, Toyos (RA-1, R888) Hankooks, BFG R1's, Michelin, Goodyears GSC's, Yokohama, Nitto, Pirelli, Sear Roadhandlers, Etc. They are all welcome. Even if I failed to list them here. If you have questions please PM me with your phone number and I'll call you directly.

Dave Brown
GLDiv Regional Champ Series Chairman
Ohio Valley Region, RE

Motor City Hamilton

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Motor City Hamilton     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'll have to check the regs on these races, but here is my schedule at this point in time. I would like to buy Hoosiers.

7/11&12 Gingerman SBR/WMR Restricted Regional
7/25&26 Waterford Hills Club Race
8/8&9 Grattan WMR/SBR National
9/5&6 Mid Ohio OVR Autumn Classic Regional
10/10&11 Mid Ohio OVR Double Sprint Classic Regional

Two issues that I can see. First, Waterford Hills is not open tire - Toyo R888 and grandfathered RA-1s. I can race there, but not for points. Fine by me as I only plan to run one event there, not their full points season. I'll run SM and ITA at this event.

Second, the Grattan National. I really want to race that track this year. I love Grattan, but it's really not worth attending if it is the only race where I'll have to run Toyos. Can I race, but for no points? I don't think they had very high attendance at this event in 2008. I think I remember some last minute efforts to open that race up to be a restricted regional as well. I'm just here to participate and have fun. Points don't really mean anything to me this season. Grattan is one of my favorite tracks and the Grattan volunteers have always been very friendly. If I have to miss it, I think I would replace it with the 8/1&2 Mid Ohio Cinci Restricted Double Regional?

Any thoughts?
Keith
810-610-6050

Motor City Hamilton

So wait. I can only run open tires in Champs Series events? So not all Great Lakes regional events. That makes even less sense to me. This is exaclty the case for one set of rules for a spec class. I've seen this with oval racing where different rules at different tracks killed attendance.

Only two on my current event list are Champs Series. So I'm better off dumping those two events, buying Toyos and racing at events where everyone will be on the same tire.

WTF.

spdmonkey Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: OVR
Car #: 08
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for spdmonkey     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Keith,
Many of the restricted regionals adopt the champ series rules for the regional classes. Check with WMR, but at our OVR restricted later this month the tires in the restricted regional are open. The Nationals will be R888 only. Now I've seen guys enter Nationals with the wrong tire, but you *could* be protested. I would just talk to everybody on the grid and let them know whats up. If you happen to be in a points position late you can always pull off. I will give you a call in the next couple days to discuss the tires. It really is simple. However a region can do what they want for sm regional tires. I show up with my kumhos or kooks and nobody seems to mind

db

Tefkatt

Region: Cincinnati
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Tefkatt     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Just a note.....The I.T.SPEC*tacular will be running the Open tire rule again this year.

Todd

Page 2 of 2 1  2 

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: