Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Sports Car Club of America » SCCA Great Lakes » BOARD OF DIRECTORS - JOHN LARUE

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: BOARD OF DIRECTORS - JOHN LARUE
John LaRue

Icon 1 posted  Profile for John LaRue     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Dear Great Lakes, Area 4 Member:

As you may be aware, I am seeking to become your representative on the SCCA Board of Directors. I am doing so at the urging of a number of racers and existing members of the Board who are struggling to make positive changes for the Club against a tide of “good old boy” favoritism and power brokering. They, as I am tired of poor decision making which is bringing the club to its knees.

I will not lay out a lengthy resume’ of accomplishments, but will simply point out that I have been active in racing since the age of twelve (12) years. I have managed and promoted racing events and racetracks; I have owned and operated motor sport related manufacturing businesses and have been involved as a car owner, mechanic and driver in regional and national SCCA club racing for about 15 years. In that regard I have been fortunate to realize success participating in major SCCA events. I am an attorney by profession and provide legal counsel to the motor sport industry and several sanctioning bodies.

I do not seek this position for the glory of being a member of the Board nor do I need additional work to keep me occupied. I simply seek this position to make a positive change, to set the club on the right track and to help ensure its’ future. I will briefly note my thoughts and concerns:

First, we must, as a club realize that the environment has changed. There is ever increasing competition for the disposable income of our members not to mention their spare time. Unless and until the club produces events and programs that offer good value and entertainment it will continue to see participation decrease. While we can certainly point to fuel costs and the economy over the past 24 months, this does not give us an excuse for the decline that proceeded that period. Simply stated we cannot afford to operate our club as we have in the past. While I am a big proponent of tradition, there is a point where we have to realize that what worked yesterday for our members will not work today. In this regard the BOD must determine what the membership needs to increase participation. The BOD must not only hear to what the membership tells it, it must listen and react. All too often good ideas simply fall on deaf ears. As a member of the BOD I will listen to anyone who wishes to call, email or otherwise sit down and discuss matters. I am open to good ideas and realize that the solution to the problem lies within the membership not with some outside consultants who will “market” our club. We already have a good membership base; we simply need to energize them to participate!

Generally speaking I believe that the Club needs to focus on making events more desirable to attend by 1) increasing the number of participants per class; 2) increasing track time per event; 3) decreasing the “hassle” factor of attending; and 4) decreasing the cost of attending. There are a multitude of ideas to accomplish these ends that have been discussed in bench racing sessions and across the various internet forums. I am most certain that each of you have at least one or two ideas that would make you more likely to attend more events and what would make those events more enjoyable. Not only must the BOD listen to the members, they need to ACT upon their requests, opinions and ideas! They must remember that the members are the most valuable asset of the Club.

One of the most disturbing issues locally is the current state of the Division. The split of the Division has taken us from the largest most prosperous Division in SCCA to one which is struggling to make minimum participation numbers. While I was not involved in this action, I did speak out against it and believe that it is vital to re-unify the Divisions. Simply stated, the reasons behind the split do not justify the harm it has caused. If elected I will work relentlessly to re-unify the Division and rejuvenate its health.

Another disturbing issue is our loss of venues and the absence of new venues. Solo, Rally and Road Racing all need to continually work to seek out new venues and enhance the relationship which we have with existing venues. Comments that the owners of the facilities do not “get along” with SCCA is simply not acceptable. We must get busy and rectify these broken relationships and develop new. To this end we need to appoint a full time person at the national level to act as the chief liaison as between the club and these facilities with a primary objective of securing new venues and facilities for SCCA activities.

While there are many other issues which concern me including the ever continuing threat of legal action as a result of poor business practices I will not get into explicit detail in what is supposed to be a brief letter seeking your support for my candidacy. I would be most happy to discuss any issue or idea which you might have at any reasonable time. You can reach me either at my office 765.287.1717 or via my cell phone 765.748.4848. Rest assured that if you give me YOUR vote and YOUR support I will become an active member of the Board and will fight to put this club on the right track.

Sincerely,

John B. LaRue

Todd Lamb Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Playboy Mazda MX-5 Cup Champion 2009

Region: SE Div, Atlanta
Car #: EddieFur
Year : Party like it's ____
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Todd Lamb   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

As a former Great Lakes region member, I would give John my support.

John's been around for a long time and knows what he's talking about! VOTE!

--------------------
Mazdaspeed // SafeRacer // Traqmate // OPM Autosports // East Street Auto // Cobalt Friction
Racers Edge Motorsports Rolex GT RX-8 // i-MOTO Racing Conti Challenge MAZDASPEED3
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/toddspeed

SM Police

Region: Chicago
Car #: 30
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for SM Police     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I don't know John but I give him my support simply because we share a name! Go John!

Jon M. LaRue

--------------------
Speed Dog Racing, Inc.

Bill Pruitt Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
You know you miss him...

Region: WMR
Car #: 18
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Bill Pruitt     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Don't know him either, but I remember Lash.

spec pinata

Region: NE Region
Icon 1 posted  Profile for spec pinata     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

So if your first initial was "W" does that mean you would vote for him next week?....yeeesh

SM Police

Region: Chicago
Car #: 30
Icon 1 posted  Profile for SM Police     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Spec Pinata,

Hey! Don't mess with us J.L.'s. We are 2 strong now. A force to be reckoned with!

--------------------
Speed Dog Racing, Inc.

Blake Thompson Verified Driver
Now The Fastest "Blake" in Spec Miata

Region: Central
Car #: 97
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Blake Thompson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

does this jon la rue need parts as much as you? Cuz if so ill totally vote for him...

--------------------
http://btdtracing.com - YOUR Miata Parts Pimp

John LaRue

Icon 1 posted  Profile for John LaRue     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thanks for the positive notes; Please remember to VOTE it is your club, your future.

John

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: