Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Setup Guide » Finding centerline for string box

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Finding centerline for string box
Pat

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Pat     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Does anyone have advise on the best way to find the centerline of the car ('90) for the purpose of squaring up the string box. The bolt method described in J.D.'s excellent guide would not seem reliable if you have reason to believe a previously owned race car is not perfectly straight.

Once a reliable centerline is found and marked, then I can start checking center-out distances on the sub frame holes to make sure nothing is bent.

Or am I making more complicated than it really is?

Casey Z Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
MegaModerator

Region: MidDiv
Car #: 13
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Casey Z     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Download the collision guide from Mazda or check the FSM. It will give you reference points and distances.

If it is a 90 something is probably bent somewhere. That said if it aligns okay I probably wouldn't stress about it unless something is obviously wrong. It is a race car. Stuff is going to get bent. [Wink]

--------------------
----------------
Z Brothers Racing / East Street Auto

Casey Z - 1.6 Kettle
MidDiv National #13

Mogren

Region: 083
Car #: 13
Year : 93
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mogren     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Measure from each wheel hub to the string. The front and rear are not the same. just measure each side to be about the same, +- 1mm.
I use two, 2x2 x 8 ft for the string holders. Place them in a vise, cut the string slots, the width of the car's rear rims, plus 60mm.
If you cut both slots in the 2x2s, at the same time, they will be exactly the same distance apart. Place on jackstands at the ends of the car, square up to the hubs, etc.

--------------------
Mike Ogren,Protech Power, Sponser of Michael S.Ogren,SM # 13, ministock #13, ITB #17. Sponsered by http://www.mopedmadness.net

Charlie Williams Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Philadelphia
Car #: SSM 4
Year : 90, 93
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Charlie Williams     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Make sure you measure from the face of the wheel center, though. The front hub cap can be bent. The wheel center must be clamped and torqued. Make sure the front wheels are at center (steering wheel at zero rotation).

--------------------
CW
MARRS SSM 4

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: