next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Setup Guide » Caster

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Caster
Martin Wiedenhoeft Verified Driver

Region: Milwaukee
Car #: 99
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Martin Wiedenhoeft     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I seem to remember reading in this forum somewhere that caster will affect scrub.

As we don't want to scrub any speed do we want as little caster as possible?

How will this affect turn in? What does everyone run for caster?

Thanks!!

--------------------
Trakmnky

Martin Wiedenhoeft Verified Driver

Region: Milwaukee
Car #: 99
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Martin Wiedenhoeft     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I've found the previous thread but still have a couple of questions.

It looks like we want as little as possible around 2deg?

In the tread if I understood it correctly (?) Jim said he adds a little to the side he wants to help the car turn in on. My next track is a right turn dominant track however there is a very important long left. Should I start with a little more left?

We don't get much practice so I have to be a close as possible.

Thanks,

--------------------
Trakmnky

Casey Z Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
MegaModerator

Region: MidDiv
Car #: 13
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Casey Z     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Like many things with setup the answer is it depends. We have experimented with this a bit and have found that I am faster with more caster. Suggest you try a couple of different settings and see what works best for you.

I would also suggest that you play with this last after you are happy with toe, camber, and cross. There was a good write up JD did in the setup forum earlier this year you should read if you haven't.

--------------------
----------------
Z Brothers Racing / East Street Auto

Casey Z - 1.6 Kettle
MidDiv National #13

Sphinx Verified Driver
M. Yusuf Mohamed

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Sphinx     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Rather than starting a new thread....

Having never done an alignment before, I started working on my street NB to see if I could learn it.

So, just talking about the front cam bolts. Is it correct that the front one controls mostly camber and the rear one mostly caster?

I've found that my front ones are maxed out and the rear ones are about in the center. Should I infer anything from that? To get more caster, move the rear one in or out?

Thanks in advance

--------------------
Sphinx Racing
Atlanta Region
http://www.sphinxracing.com
http://www.layersdesserts.com
Support our racing efforts by shopping at your favorite online merchants at SphinxRacing.com!

Colin MacLean Verified Driver
Fly Fifer

Region: Atlanta
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Colin MacLean     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Sphinx:
I've found that my front ones are maxed out and the rear ones are about in the center. Should I infer anything from that? To get more caster, move the rear one in or out?

Caster is only adjustable on the front wheels, rear you control only toe and camber.

--------------------
Colin MacLean
Flyin' MacLean Motorsports

Richard Pressman Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: WDC
Car #: 87
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Richard Pressman     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Colin MacLean:
quote:

Caster is only adjustable on the front wheels, rear you control only toe and camber.
I think what Sphinx is talking about is front cam of front c-arm and rear cam of front c-arm.

Motor City Hamilton

Region: Great Lakes/Detroit
Car #: 51
Year : 1994 Miata
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Motor City Hamilton     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Rear cam bolt all the way out toward the wheel is max caster. Rear cam bolt all the way in toward the motor is least caster. This bolt will also affect camber a little.

In short track oval racing I have heard of teams adding caster until the driver starts to complain that his arms are getting tired then back it off a little. Caster is said to affect turn in - more agressive turn in.

If you are new to suspension tuning, I would recommend you set both front cam bolts to maximum out toward the wheels and focus on other handling adjustments first. There is far more to be gained at the rear of the car for beginners.

Sphinx Verified Driver
M. Yusuf Mohamed

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Sphinx     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Pressman:
quote:
Originally posted by Colin MacLean:
quote:

I think what Sphinx is talking about is front cam of front c-arm and rear cam of front c-arm.
Correct. Thanks.

--------------------
Sphinx Racing
Atlanta Region
http://www.sphinxracing.com
http://www.layersdesserts.com
Support our racing efforts by shopping at your favorite online merchants at SphinxRacing.com!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: