Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Setup Guide » New guy with a few questions

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: New guy with a few questions
Nocturnal

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Nocturnal   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Hi all, Im from the UK and drive a '91 Miata (1.6L). Im not a serious racer like a lot of you seem on here (at least not yet anyway...), but I do like my trackdays and the occasional jaunt round the Nurburgring. I came here because I have a few questions about how to effectively set up my car for fast road/track driving, and would like to hear advice from a more focused forum like this than generic owners clubs.

I havent had my Miata that long, but recently swapped my Rotas for some Sportmax 002 wheels, 15x8j ET0, on Yokohama A539 tyres (195/50/15). Obviously theyre not ideal track wheels, but then this is my daily driver, and theyre only 0.5lbs per wheel heavier than the Rotas.

Im planning on having the wheels/suspension aligned soon:
-2.75 camber (front & rear)
1/16 toe out (front)
1/32 toe in (rear)

Will this be OK? Im looking for a good amount of grip...

Also, my next concern is to do with my tyres. Obviously being 195/50s, theyre stretched a little to fit over the 8" rim. Is this safe? Heres a pic:

-

Im thinking once the weather gets warmer of switching to Toyo R888s. What size would you guys opt for?

Thanks for any help, it will be much appreciated. Eventually Im hoping to swap an SR20DET under the bonnet and start taking racing more seriously, trying to get sponsored and enter the Time Attack series over here. All a pipe-dream at the moment unfortunately. [Big Grin]

FlyBrySM

Region: Texas-SW Div.
Car #: 54
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for FlyBrySM     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

That does not look like enough tire for thst wheel. I would prefer a 235 or a 245 on an 8" wide wheel.

--------------------
2 rear diffs. 1 transmission, 1 PPF, & a few dents!

Bob Thornton - Race Engineering Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber. - Sir Winston Churchill

Region: Central Carolina
Car #: 48
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Bob Thornton - Race Engineering   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Most likely the SM tire will do the best as a bigger tire will slow the car on the straights.
We have done testing for ITS with bigger tires and found that the SM size tires were faster.

--------------------
Bob Thornton
http://www.raceengineering.org
Race Engineering Championship Winning Engines

Ken Tubbs Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Oregon
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Ken Tubbs     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

-2.75* camber is a bit extreme for a car that will see use as a daily driver. Expect poor tire wear and braking...

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: