Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Setup Guide » Front vs rear camber relationship

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Front vs rear camber relationship
CP Verified Driver

Region: NER
Car #: 7
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for CP   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm looking for a definitive answer to the relationship between front and rear camber for the Miata. Should there be more camber in the rear, or more camber in the front when compared to the other end of the car?

I've always set up my AWD cars with roughly 1* more camber in the front. The race shop that's going to align my car this week is recommending that I go with 1* more camber in the rear of my 99 than in the front.

Any advice based on experience?

--------------------
-Cy
Supported by LTD Racing & Speed Shack - New England's Premier Auto Accessory Store
Rt1 AutoMile - Norwood, MA
http://www.speedshackonline.com

tony senese Verified Driver
Phew, that was close!

Car #: 99
Year : 1994
Icon 1 posted  Profile for tony senese   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

welll, since I just read your other post and I know Dave is doing your car.......

Take his advice. It is hard to get enough front camber if you drop the car as low as the 99 will go, with the extra weight the 99+ carries more camber is usually good everywhere.

--------------------
Tony Senese
SM#99
2008 NASA-NE SM Champion
NASA-NE SM Director
2008 PRO-IT SM 3rd place
http://www.nosenseyet.com/coppermine

CP Verified Driver

Icon 1 posted  Profile for CP   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Okie dokie then. I figured he knows more about this than I do. I have no experience with RWD cars. He's not going as low as it can go because I will be driving the car to/from events this summer, so I think I'm going to be camber challenged anyway.

--------------------
-Cy
Supported by LTD Racing & Speed Shack - New England's Premier Auto Accessory Store

Ken Tubbs Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Oregon
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Ken Tubbs     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I recently installed new LCAs, the 99 shock hats and did a full setup following JDs guide. No trouble getting 3* up front. At a recent track day I've never felt the car handle as well as it did. Camber settings are 3* front and 2.5* rear.

I used to run 2.2* front and 2.7* rear. JDs setup is way better.

Jim Daniels

Icon 1 posted    Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I cannot think of a single time I ran more rear than front in any MX5 any tire.

As the guide says, TEST!!

Crazy setups that are always loose (big rake, rear on stops, no front bar) is another story but I've not raced much in that trim.

CP Verified Driver

Thanks Jim. Dave@DWW said to say hi, and mentioned something about lobsters that I've now forgotten ;^)

--------------------
-Cy

Lucky_Kid

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Lucky_Kid     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

There is a good write up on miata.net about the dynamic camber changes as the suspension travels. Its some good data to take a look at.

Shaikh_A

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Shaikh_A     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

With my friend Jyri Virkki, I have measured front and rear camber curves on my '91 and also an '06 NC (but not an NB, although I expect they are nearly identical to the NA). The dynamic relationship is also interesting to look at as Lucky_Kid mentioned.

http://www.virkki.com/jyri/miata/camber/

The page takes a few seconds to load because it has a couple embedded javascript apps. You can use the arrow keys to find your starting ride height (our chosen method is from the center of the wheel to the lower fender lip), starting camber and then see how it changes with suspension movement.

For all competition alignments, I have had the most success with more front than rear camber. This is autocross and track driving. Pyrometer testing is the best way to know for sure - aim for a bit higher inside vs. outside tire temps.

Shaikh

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: