Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Setup Guide » Effect of lowering on overall alignment?

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Effect of lowering on overall alignment?
Qik Nip Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Loose Member '09 & '10 Great Lakes Regional Points Champion

Region: Cincinnati Great Lakes
Car #: 60
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Qik Nip     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I realize that dropping the ride height increases negative camber, but as I think about it, won't it also effect caster and toe?

I suspect that it causes an addition to toe out, but I couldn't mentally envision the caster effect at all.

Soooo... the question is, does it (either or both) and if so, about how much caster and toe per inch of drop?

Rick
P.S. My reason for asking is whether I can drop my wife's '93 STS2 Miata and an inch without resetting the entire alignment.

--------------------
Fortune Cookie Racing SM 60
Directions for use: Race, Rumple, Repair ... Repeat!

Gibscreen Verified Driver Series Champ

Region: NASA-SoCal
Car #: 23
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gibscreen   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

It will definitely give you toe out on the front. Not sure about caster. And I don't believe it will have an effect on rear toe. Setting toe on the front is simple with toe plates--the only problem that might arise is the steering wheel could end up a bit off center since toe plates only measure total toe.

--------------------
Rob Gibson
RJ Racing
2010 NASA Nationals TTE Champion
2008/2009 WERC Champion
2007 NASA SoCal SM Champion
rjracing.net
Weekend-Racer.com

Qik Nip Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Loose Member '09 & '10 Great Lakes Regional Points Champion

Region: Cincinnati Great Lakes
Car #: 60
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Qik Nip     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Rob:
Thanks. I'll measure it and see what the total toe amounts to. In a AX car, front toe out assists turn, so a bit more won't hurt and might help.
Rick

--------------------
Fortune Cookie Racing SM 60
Directions for use: Race, Rumple, Repair ... Repeat!

tony senese Verified Driver
Phew, that was close!

Car #: 99
Year : 1994
Icon 1 posted  Profile for tony senese   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Rick,
I check the toe every time I adjust the front ride height with toe plates, I can't really measure a difference for small adjustments (one turn or so). If you drop the car an inch you will see a pretty big change and I agree with your idea that a little toe OUT helps turn in, but it also increases rolling resistance and slows you down in a straight line. I try to start with as little toe as I can get, which is what JD recommends for his basic setup.

I don't measure caster so I can't say what happens there.

Tony

--------------------
Tony Senese
SM#99
2008 NASA-NE SM Champion
NASA-NE SM Director
2008 PRO-IT SM 3rd place
http://www.nosenseyet.com/coppermine

Slow Ride

Car #: 54
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Slow Ride     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Caster should not be affected at all if both ends are lowered the same amount. Rear toe should not be affected either or every bump on the road would change the toe momentarily. Camber will be changed, by what amount I don't know.

Tony, I think you meant that toe out helps turn in. Straight line speed is not as essential in autoX.

--------------------
No matter where you go, there you are.

tony senese Verified Driver
Phew, that was close!

Car #: 99
Year : 1994
Icon 1 posted  Profile for tony senese   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Slow Ride:

Tony, I think you meant that toe out helps turn in. Straight line speed is not as essential in autoX.

Exactly, not sure how I typed it wrong... [Eek!]

--------------------
Tony Senese
SM#99
2008 NASA-NE SM Champion
NASA-NE SM Director
2008 PRO-IT SM 3rd place
http://www.nosenseyet.com/coppermine

Matt Johnson Verified Driver

Region: Detroit
Car #: 73
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Matt Johnson     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Slow Ride:
Caster should not be affected at all if both ends are lowered the same amount. Rear toe should not be affected either or every bump on the road would change the toe momentarily. Camber will be changed, by what amount I don't know.

Rear toe will also change with ride height/bumps, pretty much every production car changes rear toe with ride height and/or body roll angle (see, that last statment was thought out; even cars with solid axles have roll steer [scratchchin] ).

Also caster may change too, if I am thinking through the geometry correctly (may not be, it has been a long day) there will be kinematic caster change with ride height if there is anti-lift or anti-squat built into the geometry.

--------------------
Matt Johnson
1990 SM #73 - yet another red miata.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: