Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Setup Guide » Cord showing on outside of tyres?

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Cord showing on outside of tyres?
PsychoRallye Verified Driver
Member, Odd Duck Racing

Region: NYR
Car #: 7, 17
Year : 94
Icon 1 posted  Profile for PsychoRallye   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

So the two front tyres on our car had cord showing on the outsides of them.

What should I be taking away from that?

For what it's worth the rears were showing a "hair" of cord as well in the same place...

--------------------
J Curry
Member Odd Duck Racing Team
(Mills, Gregg, Curry)
Car #7/17/71 depending upon event

Member, Odd Duck Racing

Icon 1 posted  Profile for PsychoRallye   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Oh, and I posted this here rather than in tyres since I figured this was more related to the setup on the car than the actual rubber itself, but please tell me if I did something wrong there as well... or perhaps the problem is driver [Smile]

--------------------
J Curry
(Mills, Gregg, Curry)

Muda Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
ComingToAMirrorNearYou

Region: WDC
Car #: #23
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Muda     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Those cords are put there by Toyo to inform you that it is time to take the tires off and remount them with the threads on the inside......

......or throw them in the trash, which ever makes you feels safer.

Hard to believe that you could create a setup to cause that.

--------------------
Muda Motorsports
"We're all here 'cause we're not all there."

Member, Odd Duck Racing

I know why the cords are there... but I too thought it was REALLY weird that that could happen...

--------------------
J Curry
(Mills, Gregg, Curry)

Vick Verified Driver
Do they sell spec training wheels?

Car #: 12
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Vick     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

In a related topic I heard someone say that the 1.6L cars wear more on the inside of the tires, and the 1.8L cars wear more on the outside. I have no personal data to back this up, but it's just what I heard.

--------------------
http://www.volko.com

Slow Ride

Car #: 54
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Slow Ride     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Muda:
Those cords are put there by Toyo to inform you that it is time to take the tires off and remount them with the threads on the inside......

......or throw them in the trash, which ever makes you feels safer.

But that's when they're the fastest.

--------------------
No matter where you go, there you are.

tony senese Verified Driver
Phew, that was close!

Car #: 99
Year : 1994
Icon 1 posted  Profile for tony senese   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

My tires alway cord first on the outside, all four corners. If the overall profile of the tire doesn't look like a molded slick at that point you have an issue with inflation, driving style or camber. If the rest of the tire has worn evenly, then they are just running out of rubber and you can do as Muda say and get a few more heat cycles from them. I usually get rid of them at that point.

--------------------
Tony Senese
SM#99
2008 NASA-NE SM Champion
NASA-NE SM Director
2008 PRO-IT SM 3rd place
http://www.nosenseyet.com/coppermine

Member, Odd Duck Racing

But my driving style is perfection embodied, it couldn't be that!! [Wink]

I can still see a bit of tread on the inside and very little in the center, but i'll double check that when I'm at the car soon (tomorrow I think).

If I can still see tread, how can I mod the camber more? I haven't even looked, are there camber shims on the Miata (at the hub to A-arm interface I assume) or is camber adjusted some other way?

Or could it be pressure as you suggest?
What are people running for cold& hot pressures?

--------------------
J Curry
(Mills, Gregg, Curry)

Jfornachon Verified Driver

Region: socal
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jfornachon     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Camber is adjusted by the cam bolts on the lower controll arm. Cold/Hot psi is 32/38. If you have not read over the jd set up guide you should read it a few times. This will get you a good understanding of the miata suspension adjustments. If I were you I would get the car to an alignment machine and see what your specs are. It sounds like you can get some more camber out of the car. I don't think that it would hurt much.

Have a great day,
Jared

Mike L. Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ

Region: MoHud
Car #: 27
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike L.     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Justin,

Sent you a PM.

--------------------
Mike Lo
1990 SM 27

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: