Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Setup Guide » Looking at "Scales"

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Looking at "Scales"
George Munson Verified Driver

Region: 83
Car #: 127
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for George Munson     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm in the market to buy a set of scales and wanted to get some ideas from people who either own or use them as to what works best. Make and model would help and what features should I be most concerned with. I'm also considering some scale levelers so they will be portable.

Thanks for your help.

willy_1959 Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Milwaukee+Midwest council madison club
Car #: 36
Year : 93
Icon 1 posted  Profile for willy_1959   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by George Munson:
I'm in the market to buy a set of scales and wanted to get some ideas from people who either own or use them as to what works best. Make and model would help and what features should I be most concerned with. I'm also considering some scale levelers so they will be portable.

Thanks for your help.

My Son and I just went thru this, about a month ago, we chose the intercomp sw777 (if memory serves me, without looking lol) it gave us a lot of options, probly more than we will use for a long time.

We grew up when Blake was in Soap box derby using intercomp, so they were familiar to me, was my reasoning, his was price AND features. He likes that it can hook up to the computer for storage of setups. I doubt I will ever use that part of them,, lol

We found them online at one of the bigger race parts stores, and they had free shipping. I think it was somewhere like 1500 with a case (dont buy it because of the case, its cheesy lol) the scales are first class. I have used them 2 times since we owned them, and Im sure Blake will be using them this week.. lol he has 2 cars to prepare now, for next weekend,, weeeeee

--------------------
http://btdtracing.com - Miata Parts

Blake Thompson Verified Driver
Now The Fastest "Blake" in Spec Miata

Region: Central
Car #: 97
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Blake Thompson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

mine was more based on the fact that i havent gotten a longacre product I liked, ever. and yeah, we bought the 777 which includes the race software I havent used yet.

i havent used the computer integration yet, the damn thing came with a 9pin serial cable that i had to get a USB adapter for, since dads PC has no legacy ports.

we bought ours from jegs, they were slightly cheaper than pegasus and summit.

--------------------
http://btdtracing.com - YOUR Miata Parts Pimp

Z-MAN Verified Driver

Region: Mid-South
Car #: 54
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Z-MAN     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I got my Longacre scales from Saferacer last year - I haven't had any trouble with them and you get a 10% discount and free shipping from them.

They don't list the lower cost roll off leveling pads but I think they got them for me as well.

Scales and pads was just over $1,700.

Good luck,

MZ

Gibscreen Verified Driver Series Champ

Region: NASA-SoCal
Car #: 23
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gibscreen   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Blake Thompson:
mine was more based on the fact that i havent gotten a longacre product I liked, ever. and yeah, we bought the 777 which includes the race software I havent used yet.

i havent used the computer integration yet, the damn thing came with a 9pin serial cable that i had to get a USB adapter for, since dads PC has no legacy ports.

we bought ours from jegs, they were slightly cheaper than pegasus and summit.

I'm in complete agreement on Longacre products, which is what drove me to get Intercomp 650R1. I didn't want to buy the Longacres and then have them break after 3 months, like every other Longacre product I've bought--I take that back, the steering wheel hook is still working. [Smile]

I think the only difference between the actual scales for the SW777 and the SW650R1 is that the 777s have a center of gravity calculation (Intercomp's website says the 650 has that too, but I've never found it--and not sure what I'd do with it if I did find it.)

The 777s also come with the software and the storage box. But if you go to speedwaymotors.com, they give you the box for free. They used to give free shipping too, but not anymore.

--------------------
Rob Gibson
RJ Racing
2010 NASA Nationals TTE Champion
2008/2009 WERC Champion
2007 NASA SoCal SM Champion
rjracing.net
Weekend-Racer.com

Icon 1 posted  Profile for George Munson     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thanks Guys for the input. I was beginning to think most people took there cars to the shop as I didn't see any responses. I'm just trying to learn more about how to set a car up and what changes do what. I just got my Iron Canyon alignment tool and figured scales should be next.

Thanks Again,
George

Juan Pineda Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: San Francisco
Car #: 34
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Juan Pineda   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Get intercomp. They have much less movement than longacre due to stiffer spring rate in the sensors. Also machined flatter than longacre's cast pad. Color coded cables are great.

Juan

--------------------
www.ArtOfRoadRacing.com Race Craft Clinic - Thunderhill - 30 Jan 2011

Casey Z Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
MegaModerator

Region: MidDiv
Car #: 13
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Casey Z     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I have the longacre scales and they work fine. I would prefer a machined surface to the cast one on the longacre scales though. Levelers are a must. Make them as we did or buy them. It is really a have to have.

--------------------
----------------
Z Brothers Racing / East Street Auto

Casey Z - 1.6 Kettle
MidDiv National #13

It seems the general thoughts from what if been told are that the Longacre scales are easier to read and understand. However the durability and construction might favor the Intercomp.

On subject of levelers are the roll off style needed or can you get by with the cheaper ones and use the tile method for binding. I was thinking smaller might be easier for traveling.

Another question is cross weight is what corner to what corner? Why are those weights important and not the other two corners.

Sorry for the stupid questions, just trying to learn.

Thanks George

Casey Z Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
MegaModerator

Region: MidDiv
Car #: 13
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Casey Z     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

George,

If we had the budget we would have a nice set of roll on roll of scales. You can make do with several other methods, it is just much more time consuming. Do a search on levelers as there have been several threads on that.

As far as cross goes, it is really a ratio of corner weights to the total weight of the car as it will be raced with the driver in it. Read the setup guide and that will help. What you are trying to do is either wedge or dewedge the car depending on the setup you are trying to get to. Below are links to a cross weight calculator and a good GRM article on understanding cross.

http://robrobinette.com/corner_weight_calc.htm

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/articles/understanding-corner-weights/

This can all be a bit confusing when you are first getting started, but it is fairly straight forward. If you are still confused after reading the links above feel free to ask more questions.

Good luck.

--------------------
----------------
Z Brothers Racing / East Street Auto

Casey Z - 1.6 Kettle
MidDiv National #13

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Blake Thompson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Thanks Guys for the input. I was beginning to think most people took there cars to the shop as I didn't see any responses. I'm just trying to learn more about how to set a car up and what changes do what. I just got my Iron Canyon alignment tool and figured scales should be next.

Thanks Again,
George

I used to take my car to a race shop, and after he effed my alignment all up and then "educated" me on trying to do alignments on my own I stopped going back. Dad and I have our own alignment, scales, and tire changer. Now if I could just convince him to buy that wheel dyno [Razz]

--------------------

quote:
It seems the general thoughts from what if been told are that the Longacre scales are easier to read and understand. However the durability and construction might favor the Intercomp.

On subject of levelers are the roll off style needed or can you get by with the cheaper ones and use the tile method for binding. I was thinking smaller might be easier for traveling.

Another question is cross weight is what corner to what corner? Why are those weights important and not the other two corners.

Sorry for the stupid questions, just trying to learn.

Thanks George

im 200 lbs ish and fairly muscular, I dont have the ability to roll the car on and off a set of ramps. The roll off pad levelers might work ok, but we had some ramps that were just a nightmare. Dad made us some roll-offs out of plywood that work well.

--------------------

Tom's Double O Verified Driver

Region: Oregon
Car #: 00
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Tom's Double O     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I have the Intercomps. Got the basic set that gives you the information to make corner balance easy. I think the list price was about $1K. Got mine on Ebay (new) for less. Getting scales without rolloff levelers would be a big mistake. Make sure you budget for both.

The upline Intercomp scales are the same platforms but with advanced electronics. Basically, you can calculate everything they do by hand(except I don't know how to do center of gravity). I used to be the buyer of things with the most gadgets, but I find I don't use them and simple keeps it simple. Save money and buy the basic Intercomp and GET the rolloff levelers.

Harbor Frieght sells cheap turn plates(heavy as all hell). I paid about $130 for the pair. Made scale spacers for $20 out of wood. Throw in a Smart Camber and make your own string alignment and you can have an expert setup for less than $1800. Well worth it.

Tom

Juan Pineda Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: San Francisco
Car #: 34
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Juan Pineda   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Duplicate.

--------------------
www.ArtOfRoadRacing.com Race Craft Clinic - Thunderhill - 30 Jan 2011

adambrouillard

Icon 1 posted  Profile for adambrouillard   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I use ruggles style scales, unless you are racing a pro formula car they are more than adequate for about 300.

--------------------
Adam Brouillard
Car Pictures at
http://www.hollingsworthrg.com/

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: