Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Setup Guide » steering wheel choice?

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: steering wheel choice?
drsrt8

Region: southeast
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for drsrt8     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I am finishing set up on a 91 track car. i need a steering wheel and dont know which to get. i am leaning towards the momo tuner or competiton. i have a plug and play hub from rspeed but do not really think i need or want a quick release. It is also a street car for errands. what do you think?

-Bob-

Icon 1 posted  Profile for -Bob-     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I think while you make up your mind you will also want to consider if you have a power or manual rack....they have different ratios which combined with your steering wheel choice will have an effect on your decision.

I use a 10" wheel and have tested a 9" wheel which is fine for me but people with less forearm strength complain they can't work the wheel for very long without their arms going numb.

all things to consider

Sean Allen Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: SFR
Car #: 54!
Year : 90'
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Sean Allen   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I much prefer suede wheels, but since you street the car I may consider getting a leather wheel so your hand sweat/oils don't ruin the suede.

BTW, I run a Sparco model 383 which I LOVE.

Gibscreen Verified Driver Series Champ

Region: NASA-SoCal
Car #: 23
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gibscreen   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I have the Sparco 353, which is basically a 383 with a flat bottom to give you extra knee room. Very nice.

I agree with Sean about if you're using it for street. My commuter BMW came with a suede (alcantra) wheel and it's already needed to be replaced once, and now it's gotten all shiny flat. Lovely to think of what caused it!

--------------------
Rob Gibson
RJ Racing
2010 NASA Nationals TTE Champion
2008/2009 WERC Champion
2007 NASA SoCal SM Champion
rjracing.net
Weekend-Racer.com

W. Bonsell

Region: NWR/Oregon
Car #: #26
Icon 1 posted  Profile for W. Bonsell     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I have a basic Longacre 13" wheel with quick release. Don't think I am any slower with it then a more expensive wheel. Can't imagine getting in and out without a quick release removable wheel. Obviously no horn, but then I don't really need one, right?

--------------------
William Bonsell
SCCA/ICSCC #26
SM/ITA

Kent Carter Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Future Never Has Been

Region: Houston
Car #: 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kent Carter   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

when suede gets flat, just hit it with a brass brush.

--------------------
Do I turn my 99 Hard S into a killerfast SM or seek a donor?

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

My question is, if you don't need the QR, why do you need a new wheel for a track car/grocery getter? Leg clearance, cool looks, grip getting slippery, wheel is missing from the car you're setting up, you accidentally hit the horn when swapping hands, hand placement around the spokes, etc.? Otherwise all you'll probably get is, "I use this wheel and I like it (or I don't)." Different problems have different solutions.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: