Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Setup Guide » Allignment and Set Ups...and what they do in corners

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Allignment and Set Ups...and what they do in corners
Dainbramage

Car #: 78
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dainbramage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Can someone refer me to a guide that shows what changing certain parameters of a cars set up does to the cars characteristics in a corner?

For example(and I'm not saying this is correct): Adjusting toe out will yeild better turn in, however, you will lose some mid corner grip.

I've got a decent understanding of how allignments and car setups can change the handling. I've read the JD setup guide and it goes over what the changes can do, but I'm looking for a more in depth description or discussion. The more info I can learn, the better prepared I will be.

Thanks in advance.

--------------------
Joe Self - NASA TX #78 Red/White

SamBarnett Verified Driver
Veteran Member

Region: NASA MA / SCCA CCR
Car #: 6
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for SamBarnett   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

These are the general basics I use:

TO MAKE CAR LOOSER:
soften front bar
stiffen rear bar
lower front tire pressure
raise rear tire pressure
more toe-out in front
less toe-in in rear
lower front ride height
raise rear ride height

TO MAKE CAR TIGHTER:
stiffen front bar
soften rear bar
raise front tire pressure
lower rear tire pressure
less toe-out in front
more toe-in in rear
raise front ride height
lower rear ride height

--------------------
Race Engineering - Championship Winning Engines
Carbotech Performance Brakes
CDOC

tony senese Verified Driver
Phew, that was close!

Car #: 99
Year : 1994
Icon 1 posted  Profile for tony senese   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Sam and I agree on almost all of his changes, you just gotta be careful if you lower the front too far and move to much weight to the front that will also cause the car to understeer, especially if you drive agressively INTO the turns. After a long run you will start to have a hard time getting the car to turn in. this is because the rear gets lighter as you burn off the fuel causing even more of the weight balance to shift to the front.

--------------------
Tony Senese
SM#99
2008 NASA-NE SM Champion
NASA-NE SM Director
2008 PRO-IT SM 3rd place
http://www.nosenseyet.com/coppermine

davew Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: chicago
Car #: 72 and ?
Year : 90 and 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for davew   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I agree with Sam but only in therory with Tony.

A typical sprint race is 40-45 miles. We get about 11mpg so we burn roughly 4 gallons of fuel or 25 pounds. With the location of the Miata fuel tank, the front to rear weight bias is only changed a few pounds as that amount fuel burns off.

Only experience will tell you if you should stiffen the front bar or soften the rear. They both do the same thing, but differently. That is what TEST days are for. Play with your settings and keep notes so you can go back to where you started if you screwed it up.

For the majority of the SM drivers out there, play with tire pressure and sway bar settings at the track. Maybe front toe. Changing ride height or rear toe may screw you up beyond what you are capable of redoing at the track.

Don't forget to adjust the driver. The most common complaint I hear (including from myself) is; "The car turns in OK then pushes like a b.." This is usually caused by too high of speed at turn in. Back up you brake point by a car length and see if it works better.

The race winner is the first to the gas pedal, NOT the last to the brake pedal.

Dave

--------------------
Advanced Autosports, The Midwests leader in Spec Miata Service, Parts and Rentals
608-313-1230
Authorised Spec Miata service center
www.advanced-autosports.com

tony senese Verified Driver
Phew, that was close!

Car #: 99
Year : 1994
Icon 1 posted  Profile for tony senese   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Dave,
I need you to tune my car because I'm slow and I get worse gas mileage than your cars! 9-10 mpg max!!!

--------------------
Tony Senese
SM#99
2008 NASA-NE SM Champion
NASA-NE SM Director
2008 PRO-IT SM 3rd place
http://www.nosenseyet.com/coppermine

Motor City Hamilton

Region: Great Lakes/Detroit
Car #: 51
Year : 1994 Miata
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Motor City Hamilton     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Don't forget to add in the affect of bump stops. That's the biggest thing that messed with my head last season, having never driven a car where the shock would bottom out before the chassis.

Getting deep into the bump stops can make you think something else is in need of change and really you just have the car too low on one end, the other or both.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: