Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Setup Guide » adjustable sway bar end links

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: adjustable sway bar end links
UCFBrett

Region: NASA SoCal
Car #: 255
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for UCFBrett   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

OK, I just bought a set of Mazdaspeed adjustable links for the rear bar on my car, but when they arrived, they were not assembled. Obviously, the standard nuts spin onto the heim-joint studs to lock them into position in the sleeve.

My question is where do the little threadless collars go? Do they sit up against the ferrule in the heim joint or what?

Any wisdom?

Jason Holland Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Mediocrity rules!

Region: SouthEast
Car #: 28
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jason Holland   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The collars go on either side of the heim joint on the bolt.

--------------------
Jason Holland
Semi-interested civilian

misterwaterfallin

Region: Northwest
Car #: 07
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for misterwaterfallin     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

now another question that I doubt will get any answers: how long are yo guys running your endlinks? whats a good starting point?

--------------------
-Mathew Waterfall
Number 07 SM
Red/black/mud

Jason Holland Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Mediocrity rules!

Region: SouthEast
Car #: 28
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jason Holland   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by misterwaterfallin:
now another question that I doubt will get any answers: how long are yo guys running your endlinks? whats a good starting point?

For your car start at full stiff front and full loose in the rear. Tighten rear if you have understeer.

At least that's what i did upon receiving semi-sage advice.

Jason

Edit: Man, I need to read the posts closer. I thought you meant which positions.

--------------------
Jason Holland
Semi-interested civilian

Richard Pressman Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: WDC
Car #: 87
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Richard Pressman     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Make one the same length as the stock part and then adjust the other for zero pre-load. Just make sure the wheels are all on the same plane.

David Dewhurst
Veteran Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for David Dewhurst     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

***now another question that I doubt will get any answers: how long are yo guys running your endlinks? whats a good starting point?***

With all the other setup work complete I set mine up with the car level/wheels all the same plane & I positioned the end lever of the anti roll bar parallel with the ground. Then you make the endlinks length to suit.

The tube spacer/collar is so that the heim will not bind up with the anti roll bar lever arm or the fastening bolt head or nut.

Stackup for the connector link:

Anti roll bar, tube spacer/collar, heim, tube spacer/collar, flat washer, bolt head. The flat washer should be large enough so that if something happened to the spherical ball of the heim joint the heim joint can not flop free of the bolt.

--------------------
Have Fun [Wink]

David Dewhurst
CenDiv
Milwaukee Region
Spec Miata #14

UCFBrett

Icon 1 posted  Profile for UCFBrett   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

David, The kit from Mazdaspeed didn't include flat washers. I'm sure I have something suitable on hand, but, so we're clear, are you suggesting I add washers?

David Dewhurst
Veteran Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for David Dewhurst     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Yes, it's that little bit of added safety just in case.

--------------------
Have Fun [Wink]

David Dewhurst
CenDiv
Milwaukee Region
Spec Miata #14

UCFBrett

Cool. Thanks.

Sphinx Verified Driver
M. Yusuf Mohamed

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Sphinx     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Reading these posts, I want to clarify something. You're supposed to have the car on scales or absolutely flat and on the ground. The suspension needs to be loaded (see JD's setup guide). Then, once you've got it all scaled and aligned, your last step is to hook up the end links. And you get them just long enough that they slip on easily with no preload. Some folks will preload the swaybar for certain conditions, but remember that doing so may throw off your cross weights a bit - that may be ok, depending on if you're trying to engineer some characteristics into the handling.

--------------------
Sphinx Racing
Atlanta Region
http://www.sphinxracing.com
http://www.layersdesserts.com
Support our racing efforts by shopping at your favorite online merchants at SphinxRacing.com!

UCFBrett

I had the car on my garage floor, which is the flattest piece of concrete I have access to. I just had my car corner balanced and aligned, and I slipped the bolts through with no trouble.

I also had to have a buddy of mine sit in the car with a Pelican camera case and the factory spare in his lap to make my weight.

Car felt pretty good at Buttonwillow in April.

JimEli Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: NWR
Car #: 5
Icon 1 posted  Profile for JimEli   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by UCFBrett:
I also had to have a buddy of mine sit in the car with a Pelican

yeah. ok. whatever it takes.

--------------------
UPR.com
Team LemonLappers

Pat Newton Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Enduro addict

Region: Northwest, Oregon
Car #: 79
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Pat Newton   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

As you feed fish to the pelican, do the cross weights change?

--------------------
Crew Chief, 3D Racing #64, aka Team Scrappy 2.0
3rd place E2, 2009 25 Hours of Thunderhill

Crew Chief, EGR/Miller Motorsports #64, aka Team Scrappy
E2 Champions, 2008 25 Hours of Thunderhill

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Perhaps more importantly with the upcoming rule change...if the pelican shits on the RHS mirror...are you out of compliance?

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

JST #16 Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Detroit
Car #: GLD. # 16
Year : 1994
Icon 1 posted  Profile for JST #16     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Pelicans are only legal ballast if you bolt them down with two 1/2" grade 5 bolts with lock nuts and load distributing washers.

--------------------
Jeff Thompson
SM #16 - Detroit Region
Great Lake Division

jj15ball

Region: SE
Car #: 15
Icon 1 posted  Profile for jj15ball     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Now that the thread has been highjacked by a pelican, I'd like to bring it back to a more serious note. I have just installed my Mazdaspeed end links and 99' hats this weekend. (Special thanks to the guys at MER for having an extra bushing laying around, since I launched 1 of the 4 somewhere in the shop while grinding it down and couldn't find it anywhere) Is it normal for the rear swaybar to move laterally within the bushings. I can hear something knocking around while transitioning for left-right/right-left. Think its the swaybar. Anyone else have this happen? Everything is tight in the suspension. It was also doing this before the new endlinks and hats were installed.

--------------------
Jason Ball

David Dewhurst
Veteran Member

It happens. Attach a couple split collars or hose clamps for a test.

--------------------
Have Fun [Wink]

David Dewhurst
CenDiv
Milwaukee Region
Spec Miata #14

Muda Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
ComingToAMirrorNearYou

Region: WDC
Car #: #23
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Muda     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by David Dewhurst:
It happens. Attach a couple split collars or hose clamps for a test.

I thought that was verboten?

Mine does it too.

--------------------
Muda Motorsports
"We're all here 'cause we're not all there."

David Dewhurst
Veteran Member

***I thought that was verboten?***

Very true.

***for a test.***

To confirm.

--------------------
Have Fun [Wink]

David Dewhurst
CenDiv
Milwaukee Region
Spec Miata #14

jj15ball

Region: SE
Car #: 15
Icon 1 posted  Profile for jj15ball     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

But how do you stop it from happening? I don't think it helps the cars handling any!

--------------------
Jason Ball

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: