Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Setup Guide » Economy caster/camber gauge

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Economy caster/camber gauge
Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Has anyone ever tried one of these?

http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/product/1934/Caster_Camber_Gauges

Inexpensive but I'd rather not throw the money away if it's a POS.
thanks,

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

B Wilson Verified Driver Series Champ
Gold Member

Region: Oregon
Car #: 68
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for B Wilson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I use one of these with a ICM toe stick and it works great.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00948292000P

-bw

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ
2010 Monte Shelton Driver of the Year
2010 25 Hours of Thunderhill E3 and Under 2 liter Overall Champion
Oregon Region SM Class Advisor

Pack Fodder

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thanks Bruce! That looks a far cry better than my bubble level angle finder for both the car and the house.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Mark Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mark   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Keith,

The racerparts unit works pretty well. You can use a carpenters square to 'calibrate' it for use on sloped surfaces. Not bad for the price.

--------------------
Mark
http://www.ironcanyonmotorsports.com

D.B. Cutler Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Huge Member

Region: Detroit
Car #: 5
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for D.B. Cutler     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Hi Keith,

I use one like this on my current car and used one on my previous ITB car. Plus we used the same type of gauge on the FC and FF cars that I used to work on as a mechanic.

They seem to work fine if you are happy with relative numbers and not absolutes. I've never checked to see if the graduations are calibrated or not though.

Mogren

Region: 083
Car #: 13
Year : 93
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mogren     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Or you could walk thru the impound with a plumb bob and meaure the guys that just beat you..
The tire cant tell if it was measured with a camber guage or a level. It either needs more or less, 1.5 in or 1.75 in. is near 2 degrees. Maybe measure all four wheels, because all tracks favor one way. You do go either right or left, 360 degrees more than the other.

--------------------
Mike Ogren,Protech Power, Sponser of Michael S.Ogren,SM # 13, ministock #13, ITB #17. Sponsered by http://www.mopedmadness.net

Pack Fodder

Thanks for the input everyone! I'm starting with the level and a toe stick and can go from there if I feel the need to get more sophisticated later.

For now at least it will help me determine if I'm fixing the bent stuff or if I just bought more spares and then when I get it sorted out I should be able to tell if I did damage the next time I go farming. I seem to keep exiting the track on left handers and my RHS suspension is kind of a mess. Cause or effect I'm not really sure. [Smile]

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Charlie Williams Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Philadelphia
Car #: SSM 4
Year : 90, 93
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Charlie Williams     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I developed a quick and accurate camber gauge a couple of years ago. It is searchable but here it is again. Accuracy is around +/-0.5 degrees or less.

1. Buy a digital level from Sears (or some other supplier), about $40 unless on sale.
2. Cut a piece of 1" square aluminum tube at least 16" long.
3. In the middle of the tube, drill a 3/4 or 7/8" hole through one side and a 1/4" hole through the other side.
4. Measure your rims at the high point of the rim near the edge. Drill two holes, one at each end of the tube and match the distance of the high point diameter of the rims. My two holes fit #10 screws. (You can drill a larger hole opposite the small holes to give screwdriver clearance.)
5. Manufacture or buy spacers of the exact same length or buy these at $2.15 each: http://www.mcmaster.com/itm/find.ASP?tab=find&con...e&searchstring=91780A348.
6. Mount the level at the middle using a short 1/4-20 hex bolt and a washer. Mount the two spacers using appropriate hardware.

Look a the picture I have attached.

--------------------
CW
MARRS SSM 4

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Charlie Williams     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

As usual, I cannot get the file to be attached. Sorry. Maybe this will work. http://forum.specmiata.com/files/00001640/Digital%20Camber%20Gauge%20and%20Wheel.pdf

--------------------
CW
MARRS SSM 4

Teamfour Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: WDCR
Car #: 04
Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Teamfour   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Excellent post and drawing. What do you do to measure caster?

--------------------
Lee Tilton
1993 Meowta #04
Brimtek Motorsports/ Team Four Racing
Team Four Racing

David Dewhurst
Veteran Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for David Dewhurst     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I fabed something similar to Charlies except that it's an upside down T with two points at the bottom & one point at the top. Assembled the two pieces of one inch square alum tube with a one eight inch thick piece of alum plate. Allen bolts as required. Goralla glued a stainless strip to the vertical leg of the alum tube for the magnet Sears digital level to attach to. When you have two of these you can leave them attached & measure toe with two tapes. Attach them each with two short bunge cords.

--------------------
Have Fun [Wink]

David Dewhurst
CenDiv
Milwaukee Region
Spec Miata #14

Lee, sorry I did not see your post till now. Caster is measured through a very complex equation that boils down to a close approximation to this:

Measure Camber on each wheel at 20 degrees steering turn to the right and then 20 degrees to the left. Make sure your camber measurements for a wheel are when that wheel is 20 degrees over. Subtract the left measurement from the right measurement for one wheel and then the other. The difference is very close to the actual caster angle. You can search this on the web. A major alignment rack manufacturer (I can't remember the company.) discusses the equation and the approximation.

--------------------
CW
MARRS SSM 4

John the Impaler Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Finger Lakes
Icon 1 posted  Profile for John the Impaler     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

It's not complicated at all -

For each wheel, caster = 1.4 x camber change for +/-20 steer

Steer left ~20 deg and measure camber. Steer right ~ 20 degrees and measure camber. Determine difference in camber between those two measurements, multiply by 1.4, and that's your caster.

Some will debate "1.4" vs. "1.5"...but that's a "stain vs. varnish on the Titanic deckchairs" debate.

Muda Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
ComingToAMirrorNearYou

Region: WDC
Car #: #23
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Muda     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

What is the result of different caster settings on different wheels?

--------------------
Muda Motorsports
"We're all here 'cause we're not all there."

John the Impaler Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Finger Lakes
Icon 1 posted  Profile for John the Impaler     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Car won't track straight...will wander to one side or the other. Roundy-round guys fiddle with it a lot. Old-school mechanics will set street cars up with slight difference, to make cars track straighter on crowned roads.

Jay Lutz

Region: Indy
Car #: 33
Year : 1994
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jay Lutz     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The Impaler's equation is correct........it'sthe one I've been using for many years. I like 1.5 but the difference is trivial. Jay

--------------------
"In our sport if you go out of bounds you're most likely not coming back" Michael Waltrip

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: