Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Setup Guide » Installed GC coilovers ride is terrible, help!

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Installed GC coilovers ride is terrible, help!
spartikus

Year : 2004
Icon 1 posted  Profile for spartikus     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Hey guys alright so I finally lowered my car today. I have a 2004 LS model so it has the bilstein shocks. I went with the ground control coilovers made for this specific year car. I have never driven a lowered car so keep that in mind. We lowered it about 1 inche I believe but the car rides very harsh now. Is this just do to the car being lowered? Also I hear alot of noise on the interior now especially when I hit any bumps or imperfections in the road. I hear rattles and a thump every time I hit a bump or imperfection in the road seems to be coming from the front and back of the car. Is this all normal and is it the sacrifice for lowering a car or is there something seriously wrong here. I drove the car about 50 miles today after lowering it and I am thinking I may have to go back to the stock set up its that bad. Please help as always any info will be greatly appreciated. Also if possible can someone tell me can you have a lowered car with comfort? If so what can I do I am not above returning my GC setup and buying a different brand of coilovers or possibly jsut getting some new shocks. I think i could handle the harsher ride if the noises on the interior would get better but at this point when I hit a bump i feel like my car is going to fall apart because it gyrates the car so bad.

Mike C Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
MegaModerator

Region: WDCR - 042
Car #: 75
Year : 93 & 95 & 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike C   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

spartikus, this site is for dedicated Spec Miata race cars. I think you may better find the information you are looking for on http://www.Miata.net

--------------------
Mike Collins
MEATHEAD Racing
http://www.SHEETZ.com
The MEATHEAD Racing 2010 Calendar is up!!!!
www.MEATHEADRacing.com
SMAC Member
WDCR-SCCA SM Drivers Rep.
ALL OPINIONS ON RULES OR SPECIFICATIONS ARE JUST THAT, MY OPINIONS!

T.J. Kearney Verified Driver
Male Member

Region: Finger Lakes
Car #: 85
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for T.J. Kearney     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

no mention of spring rates, which is most likely the issue. Also look into "tender springs" (near zero rate spring that stacks on your linear springs and accounts for droop). They might rid most of the spring noise you are encountering, but not all.

--------------------
Tom Kearney
SSM #85
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I doubt it's the springs themselves making noise. Probably just stiff springs that make all the CDs in the glove box rattle around. I noticed all sorts of noise when I installed the suspension kit and gutted the interior. A loud exhaust and a helmet solved that problem. [Wink]

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

d mathias Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: OVR
Car #: 88
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for d mathias     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I once made the mistake of putting an aftermarket, 'race' suspension on an '86 Mustang GT that I owned. Absolutely miserable driving it around town, cured me forever from the desire to hot-rod a daily driver.

-Denny

D.B. Cutler Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Huge Member

Region: Detroit
Car #: 5
Icon 1 posted  Profile for D.B. Cutler     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I once put heavy BBS Moda 15x7 wheels on my Miata back when it was a street car. The ride was absolutely terrible. I ended up selling them on eBay.

Do yourself a favor and put it back to stock. The Mazda engineers did a realy nice job with these cars.

TJAndriesen

Region: NNJ
Car #: 43
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for TJAndriesen     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by spartikus:
Hey guys alright so I finally lowered my car today. I have a 2004 LS model so it has the bilstein shocks. I went with the ground control coilovers made for this specific year car. I have never driven a lowered car so keep that in mind. We lowered it about 1 inche I believe but the car rides very harsh now. Is this just do to the car being lowered? Also I hear alot of noise on the interior now especially when I hit any bumps or imperfections in the road. I hear rattles and a thump every time I hit a bump or imperfection in the road seems to be coming from the front and back of the car. Is this all normal and is it the sacrifice for lowering a car or is there something seriously wrong here. I drove the car about 50 miles today after lowering it and I am thinking I may have to go back to the stock set up its that bad. Please help as always any info will be greatly appreciated. Also if possible can someone tell me can you have a lowered car with comfort? If so what can I do I am not above returning my GC setup and buying a different brand of coilovers or possibly jsut getting some new shocks. I think i could handle the harsher ride if the noises on the interior would get better but at this point when I hit a bump i feel like my car is going to fall apart because it gyrates the car so bad.

I have a similar set up on the autoX Miata. Its not that bad. Forgive me for asking the question but are the shock hats tightened down?

--------------------
TJ Andriesen
Barrington, IL
#43 SM/ITA (SCCA & MC)

spartikus

Icon 1 posted  Profile for spartikus     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

That is exactly what it was, the guys who helped me put the coilovers on didn't put the top mount and hats back together properly so they were making all kinds of noise.

Qik Nip Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Loose Member '09 & '10 Great Lakes Regional Points Champion

Region: Cincinnati Great Lakes
Car #: 60
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Qik Nip     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by d mathias:
I once made the mistake of putting an aftermarket, 'race' suspension on an '86 Mustang GT that I owned. Absolutely miserable driving it around town, cured me forever from the desire to hot-rod a daily driver.

-Denny

Ditto Denny's Rustang experience with a '99 C5 Corvette with Penske shocks and coil overs. Harsh ride, lots of transmitted suspension noise, but it handled beautifully. Guess you can't have it all!
Rick
Rick

--------------------
Fortune Cookie Racing SM 60
Directions for use: Race, Rumple, Repair ... Repeat!

Kim Ouye Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Retired Racer

Region: SFR
Car #: 82/73
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kim Ouye     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Qik Nip:
quote:
Originally posted by d mathias:

-Denny

Ditto Denny's Rustang experience with a '99 C5 Corvette with Penske shocks and coil overs. Harsh ride, lots of transmitted suspension noise, but it handled beautifully. Guess you can't have it all!
Rick
Rick

I once replaced all rubber bushings (control arm, shock hat) with a monoball setup in a '95 911. The only rubber left was the tires. Go kart on track, PAINFUL on the street.

The selfjustification was that sports cars are supposed to be harsh riding...that didn't last long...lol

--------------------
Kim

91 BRG SMT RIP
06 MX-5 Cup

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting 'Holy sh*t...what a ride!'" - Unknown

Jfornachon Verified Driver

Region: socal
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jfornachon     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

So how was the ride?

spartikus

The ride is great can't hardly tell its lowered other than just the look problem is now i want to drop it some more its about 2 inches in the front and 1.5 in the rear may go to 2.5 in the front and 2 in the back.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: