Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Setup Guide » Spring Perch Adjustment?

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Spring Perch Adjustment?
Teamfour Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: WDCR
Car #: 04
Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Teamfour   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I am trying to reset my ride height and the threaded tube turns with the spring perch. Is there a way to lock down the tube?

--------------------
Lee Tilton
1993 Meowta #04
Brimtek Motorsports/ Team Four Racing
Team Four Racing

GraemeD

Icon 1 posted  Profile for GraemeD     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

the set screw might be tight on the threaded ring, try loosing it

--------------------
Graeme
Golden, CO

oem steve

Region: South East
Car #: #92
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for oem steve     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

If you drive like I do you may have to blow the dirt that accumulates on the ring, off. And as mentioned make sure you don't have the set screws tight, you may have to grab the collar with one hand and work the ring back and forth before it will turn free.

--------------------
email: standrewsexpress@bellsouth.net
visit us at http://www.standrewsexpress.com

Under powered and under driven

Jeff Lyon Verified Driver
Still on Probation!

Region: NorCal/SFR
Car #: 17/19
Year : 92/89
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jeff Lyon   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I have used a rubber strap style wrench used for loosening oil filters and such. Kind of a pain but it has worked.

--------------------
Jeff
NorCal/SFR
OneStopRaceShop

Dainbramage

Car #: 78
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dainbramage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Just had to tackle the same problem. I happened to have 2 oil filter "plyers" that I was able to grab the collar and the sleeve with and turn. Also, WD40 or pbblaster help... but they will get dirty again. I wrapped mine with some duct tape after I re-assembled to try and keep them as clean as possible... if that's even possible haha.

--------------------
Joe Self - NASA TX #78 Red/White

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I tried some of that Kentucky penetrating lubricant. I heard it was good for tough nuts and tight screws but it didn't loosen up the collar and made my hands so slippery I couldn't get a good grip. [nope]

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

trimless1 Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Low Budget Member

Region: Southwest
Car #: 11
Year : 99 and 93
Icon 1 posted  Profile for trimless1     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Lee, I carry a pair of channel locks in my tool box just for this purpose. Just grab the lower ring with the pliers and turn the upper adjustment ring. I also carry a punch just the right size for the upper adjustment ring hole which makes it easy to turn. This combo makes adjustment a snap, no lubrication required. To facilitate quick adjustments at the track you really need to throw away the set screws.

--------------------
Gale Corley
99 SM GRE Super Deluxe
93 SM GRE Jr. Deluxe

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Teamfour   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thanks everyone! Back to the garage tonight with all this new found knowledge. BTW, all the set screws are gone; it's just the threads that are all crusty (like the driver).

--------------------
Lee Tilton
1993 Meowta #04
Team Four Racing

JaGsC5

Region: NE
Car #: 25
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for JaGsC5     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by trimless1:
Lee, I carry a pair of channel locks in my tool box just for this purpose. Just grab the lower ring with the pliers and turn the upper adjustment ring. I also carry a punch just the right size for the upper adjustment ring hole which makes it easy to turn. This combo makes adjustment a snap, no lubrication required. To facilitate quick adjustments at the track you really need to throw away the set screws.

Still going over the Spec car I just bought and noticed that all the set screws are missing from my rings. Is that the norm so one can make quick adjustments at the track and does the ring not move while your are driving?

--------------------
Gary Shenk
JaG Motorsports #25

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

People have recommended to me both leaving them out and keeping them in but using a bit of tape on the end of the screw so they don't mar the threads. Mine seem to get pretty grungy pretty quick and don't seem to move so I've left them out but I measure the original perch location to determine if they have moved later.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Theoretically, the weight of the car on the spring should keep the ring from turning. On my Cobra, I would run a tie wrap through the ring and around the spring. However, the threaded tubes on my SM do not have a slot to do this.

--------------------
Lee Tilton
1993 Meowta #04
Team Four Racing

JaGsC5

Region: NE
Car #: 25
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for JaGsC5     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Cool thanks for the info. I guess I slightly hijacked this thread. Sorry. When the words set screw were spoken I thought,"Hey I don't have any of those".

--------------------
Gary Shenk
JaG Motorsports #25

dtfastbear Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
faster than the average bear...

Region: SFR / NorCal
Car #: 72
Year : 93
Icon 1 posted  Profile for dtfastbear   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I've never tightened my set screws in the last 3 seasons of racing and haven't seen one move yet... YMMV

--------------------
NASA Nor Cal SM series Director
www.molaps.com

Winner - Ford Racing Mustang Challenge Driver Shootout

Evil Genius Racing / Race Engineering / Stewart Development

Frank Todaro

Region: Ohio Valley Region
Car #: 35
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Frank Todaro     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I do not use the set screws as they damage the tread enough to make adjustment difficult. I mark where they are adjusted too, and then I use duck tape to hold them in place. Like was said above they wont move much unless you are taking the weight off the tire often, but the tape will help with that. My two cents.

--------------------
Frank
Member: No Pain Racing

iambhooper

Region: NCR
Car #: NA
SMIM: NA
Icon 1 posted  Profile for iambhooper     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

i noticed that the sleeve's tended to spin with the perch's, however my car did not have the set screw's installed. i picked up the set screw's and installed them.

hoop

--------------------
hoop
'91 Spec Miata
'90 NA Beater/Track Day car
'06 RSX Type S

Blix Verified Driver
Veteran Member

Region: NER
Car #: 12
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Blix     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Don't use a "liquid" lubricant on them, it just makes dust stick to them. The best thing that i've found is to clean them very well, then put a dry powder type lubricant on them, like graphite or that nice moly spray. That seems to keep them moving about as well as they're going to.

Avoid getting the moly spray on the rotors...i'm just saying...

E

--------------------
Eric
http://www.hale-motorsports.com
For all your Mazda and Mustang needs

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: