Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Setup Guide » Miata setup at 4 3/4" static ride height

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Miata setup at 4 3/4" static ride height
Reggie Verified Driver

Region: Delta
Car #: 77
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Reggie     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

If my car were 52% cross weight at that height, with front wheels weighing 609 each, LR at 602 and RR at 509, total weight of car with driver at 2329 lbs. I don't have scales, so I am trying to figure out a closer setting to 50% CW. I am wondering what 1/2 turn up for the LF and RR, and 1/2 turn down for the RF and LR would do, CW-wise? I'm thinking that would help the CW without going too far-but maybe not far enough.

Anyone have an educated answer? I'm trying to get to 50%, or as close as possible to that CW. I could fine-tune at the track if my buddy can bring his scales to the track. Am I better off not to adjust anything without the scales? Thanks.

Eric Barbaric Verified Driver

Region: Kansas City
Car #: 95
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Eric Barbaric   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

You need to put more weight on the RR. So you will turn the spring perches up. That will also put more weight on the LF.

Already you can see that this is going to create a "chase the weight" game. And the game really can't be played very well without scales.

Maybe someone here knows a scientific way to do it. But I sure don't.

Reggie Verified Driver

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Reggie     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

What I'm looking for is a better starting point for my first lap at the track. By the way, my '90 SM has the '99 shock hats.I'm thinking 1/2 turn down on RF and LR, with 1/2 turn UP on LF and RR would give it a better balance from my initial ride height (prior to alignment) of 4 3/4" with me in it. I have not remeasured the car with and without me in it; I'll do that later today.

Does anyone have a SWAG of how much difference the four 1/2 turns would make? Surely that would not over-correct, would it?

Dusty Bottoms Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
99 all the way!

Region: Lone Star
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dusty Bottoms     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Jack the car up from the diff and see which tire lifts first and adjust appropriate corners from there. Old RC trick for when you don't have a tweak board.

--------------------
"Your victory is tainted! Asterisk! Asterisk!!!"--Lisa Simpson

Jeremy Pike

Region: SFR
Car #: 89
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jeremy Pike     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

If you are “wedged” (cross more than 50%) you need to do the following.
Up on the RR & LF (equal amounts, ¼ to full turns)
Down on the LR & RF (equal amounts, ¼ to full turns) JD setup guide..

I think 1/2 a turn would probably do it. But in all honesty if the car is alligned where it's at now and this is a track day, just drive it.

Reggie Verified Driver

Jeremy, I have borrowed some scales and have 2 days before track day, so I think I'll try to improve on the setting. BUT, the question comes to me: How close to 50% is close enough. Someone else has suggested the numbers are "close enough" to just drive as is, but then I thought J.D. had suggested we get within .5% of 50%. Would you adjust it if you had 2 days to get it done? Just interested in how to control this animal.....

Cajun Miata Man Verified Driver
Overdog Driver

Region: Houston; SWDIV
Car #: 15
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Cajun Miata Man     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Reggie- PM Sent; I can get you a rough set in less than an hour.

--------------------
James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA