Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Setup Guide » Wheelbase- Left vs. Right- How close should they be?

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Wheelbase- Left vs. Right- How close should they be?
Jay Lutz

Region: Indy
Car #: 33
Year : 1994
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jay Lutz     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Any thoughts, hopefully based upon tests or at least sound logic, on how close the left and right wheelbases must be.....so that handling is not impaired Right vs. Left? The spec book says 2277mm nominal I believe.

Just for reference......the roundy boys purposely shorten their left side wheelbase by around an inch to make the car turn left better.
Note: JD's Setup Guide V2 apparently is mute on this point so I'm guessing he feels it is irrelevant so long as everything else is setup properly.

Thanks, Jay

--------------------
"In our sport if you go out of bounds you're most likely not coming back" Michael Waltrip

Mike C Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
MegaModerator

Region: WDCR - 042
Car #: 75
Year : 93 & 95 & 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike C   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

At a neutral position they should be the same or your car is bent.

--------------------
Mike Collins
MEATHEAD Racing
http://www.SHEETZ.com
The MEATHEAD Racing 2010 Calendar is up!!!!
www.MEATHEADRacing.com
SMAC Member
WDCR-SCCA SM Drivers Rep.
ALL OPINIONS ON RULES OR SPECIFICATIONS ARE JUST THAT, MY OPINIONS!

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I think JD just assumes they're equal.

For roundy round, it works to have them different. All other things being equal, shorter WB = tighter turning radius. The inside wheels track a tighter line than the outside so having the side with a tighter turning radius take a tighter arc is good. Turn the other direction and the tighter turning radius has to take the longer arc which can't be good and vise versa.

I'd guess a roundy round setup turning right = lots of slidey slide.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Rich Verified Driver
Oh, that's where that is.

Region: STL
Car #: 35
Year : #795 SRF
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Track dependent. Make sure you slot your subframes for maximum adjustment.

--------------------
Rich Wiese

Spec Wrecker Ford

TSouth Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Cincinnati
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for TSouth     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Depends upon how well you're measuring caster. If caster is dead nuts equal side to side, wheelbase should be too I think. If estimating caster loosely (I do, no plates) no more than 1/16" to 1/8" or so.

Did you replace your Subframe after the shunt into the IRP wall mentioned in the other post? If not, I would. You may have to "slot" your new subframe for it fit onto the rails.

Blix Verified Driver
Veteran Member

Region: NER
Car #: 12
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Blix     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

If you have to slot your subframe, your car is probably bent, get it pulled back to shape or it won't handle consistently right to left. Honestly, if I saw someone with a slotted subframe I'd be kinda p***d off, because (in the NE) there are a few tracks that you only care about turning one direction, and that would be an nice (but illegal) advantage.

--------------------
Eric
http://www.hale-motorsports.com
For all your Mazda and Mustang needs

Rich Verified Driver
Oh, that's where that is.

Region: STL
Car #: 35
Year : #795 SRF
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

My subframes have always been slotted. I have special road-america subframes that allow the car to go through the kink without turning the wheel for minimum tire scrub.

'99's benefit more from this mod because of the increased surface area of their fenders.

--------------------
Rich Wiese

Spec Wrecker Ford

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: