Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Setup Guide » Subframe Torque Settings

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Subframe Torque Settings
Jim Venable

Region: NW
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jim Venable     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Searched here, online and in the manual I have.

What is the torque setting for the front and rear subframe to chassis nuts and bolts?

Thanks,
Jim

Ken Wilkinson Verified Driver

Car #: 228
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Ken Wilkinson     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The 99 manual calls for 87-101 ft lbs for the 2 nuts under each shock tower and 69-86 ft lbs for each bolt into the frame and crossbar.

--------------------
Ken

Jim Venable

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jim Venable     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thank you Ken.

Jim
"Nice Guy Jim Racing"

Frank Todaro

Region: Ohio Valley Region
Car #: 35
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Frank Todaro     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

post delete

--------------------
Frank
Member: No Pain Racing

Gibscreen Verified Driver Series Champ

Region: NASA-SoCal
Car #: 23
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gibscreen   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I think the NA subframe may be less though. I'll check my '95 Workshop Manual and let you know.

--------------------
Rob Gibson
RJ Racing
2010 NASA Nationals TTE Champion
2008/2009 WERC Champion
2007 NASA SoCal SM Champion
rjracing.net
Weekend-Racer.com

Jim Venable

Rob,

That would be appreciated as I'm about to take the car off the jackstands for the first time. Everytime I've been under it my eyes gander a questioning look at the subframe nuts and bolts.

Jim

"Nice Guy Jim Racing"

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gibscreen   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm showing 69-86 ft-lb for the nuts under the shock towers, and 51-61 for the rear subframe bolts.

The only bolts that I see that are 87-101 ft-lb are the upper control arm bolts.

Below are links to the torque spec pages from the 1995 Workshop Manual (the 3rd set of numbers are ft-lb).

Front Subframe

Rear Subframe

I'm not sure if Ken and I are just using different terminology, so you can see for yourself what I'm talking about.

--------------------
Rob Gibson
RJ Racing
2008/2009 WERC Champion
rjracing.net
Weekend-Racer.com

Jim Venable

Thank you fellas. Considering I have an early model I think it would be best to back the torque off a hair or two for some of the nuts and bolts just to be safe.

Be well,
Jim

Whenever I'm torquing fasteners, I always think of the late, great Carroll Smith who said to always err on the side of undertightening. He rarely saw part failures from undertightening, but he's seen countless failures from overtightening.

--------------------
Rob Gibson
RJ Racing
2008/2009 WERC Champion
rjracing.net
Weekend-Racer.com

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: