Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Spec Miata Archives » Spec Miata 2001-2009 » Clutch Inspection Hole

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Clutch Inspection Hole
Little Bill Verified Driver

Region: Colorado
Car #: 03
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Little Bill     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I am getting ready to put the tranny back in my car, and was thinking about putting in a inspection hole for the clutch and flywheel.

Just looking for some feedback on the idea.

It seems to me that it would be much easier to pull a rubber plug and shine a flashlight into a hole rather than pull a transmission for a 10 second inspection. [banghead] What do you guys think? [yep]

[ 04-03-2007, 10:38 AM: Message edited by: Little Bill ]

--------------------
Bill Hingston
SM#03
RM_Div

Casey Z Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
MegaModerator

Region: MidDiv
Car #: 13
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Casey Z     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I wouldn't bother. You can get there pretty quick by pulling the clutch slave and whatever you call the thing the slave connects to. I think it is the clutch slave fluxcapacitor clutch interface device, but I could be wrong.

Anyone that hasn't replaced the clutch slave should. It is about a 10 minute operation.

--------------------
----------------
Z Brothers Racing / East Street Auto

Casey Z - 1.6 Kettle
MidDiv National #13

SeanH88

Region: OR
Car #: 88
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for SeanH88     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Hello Bill,

I brought this up at the SM Tent meeting @ the runoffs and have talked directly with Jeremy about it. It was received well, but with the standard submit a letter to the CRB to make it official.

We are doing it to all of our cars one by one when the tranny's comes out. If done correctly you can not only see the flywheel, but you can get a magnet in there as well to test for proper material on the flywheel and pressure plate.

Once I get time, I will work on a template for the tranny, so anyone can hit the right spot.

Pulling the slave thing won't allow you to see the pressure plate.

Just my 2 cents..... Sean

Jason Holland Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Mediocrity rules!

Region: SouthEast
Car #: 28
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jason Holland   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Sean,

Please let us know when you have a template available. I would like to do this...

J

--------------------
Jason Holland
Semi-interested civilian

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Little Bill     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I originally thought that the clutch slave idea would work. As I was getting ready to pull my tranny I tried it out, It wont allow for the flywheel inspection.

I went ahead and put an inspection hole in, now you can see flywheel and clutch and verify the type of material

--------------------
Bill Hingston
SM#03
RM_Div

NER88 Verified Driver

Region: ner
Car #: 88
Icon 1 posted  Profile for NER88     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Where in the rules does it say you can put a hole in the bellhousing?

--------------------
Jerry

Jerry,

I will be the first to say that it doesn't say I can. So technically, if I were to be protested for it, I will get thrown out.

So I guess at some point I may get tossed for the weinie protest of all time.

But I bet the guys in tech will be very appreciative of my inspection hole when they need to check my clutch and flywheel.

I have already written my letter suggesting that a single inspetion hole be allowed.

By the way Jerry, I am missing one of the little block off plates that are on the bottom left side of the dash. So I guess I can be protested for that as well.

--------------------
Bill Hingston
SM#03
RM_Div

Colin MacLean Verified Driver
Fly Fifer

Region: Atlanta
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Colin MacLean     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by NER88:
Where in the rules does it say you can put a hole in the bellhousing?

Surely there's a smiley missing there [Confused]

--------------------
Colin MacLean
Flyin' MacLean Motorsports

Jim Boemler Verified Driver
Veteran Member

Region: NWR, OR
Car #: 30
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jim Boemler     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Little Bill:
But I bet the guys in tech will be very appreciative of my inspection hole when they need to check my clutch and flywheel.

They don't care. If you have to present the clutch or flywheel for inspection, they'd just as soon hold it in their hand (after quite a bit of YOUR work) as crawl under your car. Who it benefits is YOU, who just might get away without removing your transmission.

A good thing, to be sure, but don't think you've got an interested ally in the tech shed.

jim

--------------------
Just a clown

Jim,

I think tech would be rather happy when a group 6 car on a sunday gets protested for an aluminum clutch, and all I have to do is jack up the car, pull a rubber plug, and say stick a magnet to it.

They do it, find me legal, and I get to load up. Tech doesnt need to sit around for 1 1/2 hours waiting on me to pull the tranny, just to do a 5 second inspection. I say that makes them happy

[ 04-05-2007, 01:31 AM: Message edited by: Little Bill ]

--------------------
Bill Hingston
SM#03
RM_Div

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: