Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Spec Miata Archives » Spec Miata 2001-2009 » 2008 GCR online (Page 2)

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic
Page 2 of 2 1  2 

Author Topic: 2008 GCR online
davew Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: chicago
Car #: 72 and ?
Year : 90 and 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for davew   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

WOW, i've been Chairman of the SMAC for a little over a week and we get this.

The procedure for a "rule Change" requires input from the SMAC, review and approval by the CRB, notification and request for input from the members via Fasttrack, and finally approval by the BoD.

The SMAC only meets once a month. Similar schedules for the CRB and BoD. By the time all the steps are done, it takes several months. As someone above said " SCCA is a monolith". A large amount of time could be saved by not publishing the rules change and asking for member input. Do you want that?

I agree, rules changes need to be transparant. But to what extent. Do you want a word for word transcript of a 2.5 hour conference call?

If you carefully read the Fasttrack, you will see that every letter sent to the CRB, BoD or SMAC ( or other class committee)is addressed. When you see the response "Thank you for your input", it means we have discussed it. We may disagree your idea and dismiss it, we may love the idea but need more info or we may love it and recomend approval. By publishing your letter (in paraphrased form)and adding a response, the SCCA IS being transparent.

As many of you stated in various threads on this site, we need to wait until after the Runoffs. After the runoffs does not leave much time to get rule changes into the GCR with enough leed time for printing. That is why we have Fasttrack.

Before anything is said about the wieght change. That is a "Competition Adjustment" and requires only CRB and/or BoD approval. I do not know the exact procedure. But it does NOT require member input or prior publication. That is why the wieght change was able to be printed in the GCR. It is a faster procedure.

In direct response to the "shock hats" issue. The SMAC discussed this idea over the summer. We waited for Runoffs results before making our recomendation. We actually discussed this long before NASA made their rule change. From the outside, it may look like we are reacting to NASA. When in fact, both groups where on a parallel track.

The December Fasttrack says (and I quote):

The following subjects will be referred to the Board of Directors for approval. Address all comments, both for and against, to the Club
Racing Board. Comments may be e-mailed to crb@scca.com.

The Fasttrack continues

Spec Miata
Item 1. Effective 2/1/08, add a new section 3. to section 9.1.8.C.1.e to read as follows:
3. The post catalytic converter oxygen sensor may be disabled, replaced, or removed; the resulting hole (if present) may be
plugged.
Item 2. Effective 2/1/08, change the second paragraph on section 9.1.8.C.4.b to read as follows:
1999-up cars shall use the bump stops from the Mazdaspeed kit (p/n 0000-04-5993-AW) in conjunction with the 1999-up stock
upper mount assembly consisting of the upper mount (p/n: NC10-28-340C), the upper mount bushing (p/n: NC10-28-776) and
the upper mount washer (p/n: NC10-28-774), and shock body spacer over the shock shaft (p/n 1234-56-789-AW). All other OEM
upper mounting hardware shall be discarded. 1990-1997 cars may use the bump stops from the Mazdaspeed kit (p/n 0000-04-
5993-AW) in conjunction with the 1999-up stock upper mount assembly consisting of the upper mount (p/n: NC10-28-340C),
the lower mount bushing (p/n: NC10-28-776) and the upper mount washer (p/n: NC10-28-774). Non-OEM equivalents may be
used in place of the upper mount, upper mount bushing, and upper mount washer only. No other modifications are allowed.

This rule change is still one step away from approval. And the effective date is 2-1-08. Why make it February? Any rule is not effective until it is published, and that could not be done fast enough to be effective in January.

The SCCA is asking for your input, they are being transparent. They are following their procedures for rule changes. We have over 40 posts on this thread alone about shock hats. I will be interested to see how many letters are received.

The SMAC is only a small group. We can not think of every possible issue. Feel free to send us letters through the proper SCCA channels. We will discuss EVERY SINGLE LETTER. You may get the short 5 word answer, but we do listen.

Thank you for your input ;-)
Dave Wheeler
Chairman SMAC

--------------------
Advanced Autosports, The Midwests leader in Spec Miata Service, Parts and Rentals
608-313-1230
Authorised Spec Miata service center
www.advanced-autosports.com

Casey Z Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
MegaModerator

Region: MidDiv
Car #: 13
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Casey Z     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Dave,

If we have already written letters regarding this subject (2 in my case) do we need to write another letter to the CRB or are the old ones passed along, etc?

One other question. When we need to comment on multiple items i.e. dec fastrack, is it best to put it all in one letter or write a different letter for each issue?

Thanks,

--------------------
----------------
Z Brothers Racing / East Street Auto

Casey Z - 1.6 Kettle
MidDiv National #13

davew Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: chicago
Car #: 72 and ?
Year : 90 and 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for davew   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

IMHO, write new letters. The request has gone out for member input on a specific rule change. While you may have already written to bring forth an idea, your opinion should be addressed directly at the proposal.

I do not believe it would make any difference if it was a single letter or two letters.

Dave

--------------------
Advanced Autosports, The Midwests leader in Spec Miata Service, Parts and Rentals
608-313-1230
Authorised Spec Miata service center
www.advanced-autosports.com

Dusty Bottoms Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
99 all the way!

Region: Lone Star
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dusty Bottoms     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Write new letters.

Also, a new letter for each issue is the best. They are serialized and tracked that way, and with different issues, it makes it much easier to keep track of each request separately.

--------------------
"Your victory is tainted! Asterisk! Asterisk!!!"--Lisa Simpson

Jim Boemler Verified Driver
Veteran Member

Region: NWR, OR
Car #: 30
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jim Boemler     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thanks for illuminating the process, Dave! It's been fun watching the thrashing from one false viewpoint to the opposite false viewpoint, when in fact neither was final. It's also fun to watch everybody go crazy about SCCA, only to find that they're doing exactly what's wanted.

"Fun" should be in quotes, I guess. [Frown]

jim (some angry folks should be writing retractions...)

--------------------
Just a clown

Qik Nip Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Loose Member '09 & '10 Great Lakes Regional Points Champion

Region: Cincinnati Great Lakes
Car #: 60
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Qik Nip     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

All I can say is that (pending a really great explanation by the SCCA) is that this is the most boneheaded move I've seen in quite a while. To say I'm angry is a HUGE understatent.

I ordered the hats when I saw the fastrack listing - (foolishly) assuming that a mature organization like SCCA wouldn't post a proposed rule change without the 90+% presumption of it's incorporation as final.

What are those guys thinking back at the head shed? Was this an arrogant reaction to NASA's presence and its' audacity to act first? Or was it the act of self destructive behavior?

Just utterly and completely unbelievable. I guess I need to write the BOD. In fact we all do.
Rick

--------------------
Fortune Cookie Racing SM 60
Directions for use: Race, Rumple, Repair ... Repeat!

Qik Nip Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Loose Member '09 & '10 Great Lakes Regional Points Champion

Region: Cincinnati Great Lakes
Car #: 60
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Qik Nip     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I wrote and pasted below is the reciept acknowledgement. Here's the email address: crb@scca.com.
I'm betting a few hundred requests for 99 hats will sway some thinking in Topeka. If we don't tell them, then they can (correctly) say we don't really care.

Fire away your own comments now!
Rick

Hi Rick,

We received your letter, and forwarded it to the Club Racing Board and the appropriate advisory committee for their consideration.

Your input will be placed on the next available Club Racing Board agenda. The CRB generally meets once a month, however some issues require additional consideration that may include a request for more information from you, the advisory committee, a manufacturer, and/or the membership at large. An official response to your inquiry will be published in FasTrack News, which is posted to the SCCA website
(www.scca.com) on the 20th of every month.

As a member-driven organization, we appreciate your interest and involvement.

Sincerely,

John Bauer
Technical Assistant
SCCA Club Racing
PO Box 19400
Topeka KS 66619
(800) 770-2055
jbauer@scca.com

--------------------
Fortune Cookie Racing SM 60
Directions for use: Race, Rumple, Repair ... Repeat!

PedalFaster Verified Driver

Region: Northwest
Car #: 86
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for PedalFaster     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Qik Nip:
All I can say is that (pending a really great explanation by the SCCA) is that this is the most boneheaded move I've seen in quite a while. To say I'm angry is a HUGE understatent.

I ordered the hats when I saw the fastrack listing - (foolishly) assuming that a mature organization like SCCA wouldn't post a proposed rule change without the 90+% presumption of it's incorporation as final.

Why are you assuming that there isn't a 90+% presumption of the rule's incorporation?

I'm new to club racing, but I've been involved in national-level solo for years, and served a brief stint on one of the advisory committees. I can't remember one instance of the BoD ever overturning a rule change proposal submitted by the SEB (solo equivalent of the CRB). The BoD is really more of a formality on something with as little import in the grand scheme of things as a class-specific tweak.

--------------------
Stephen Hui - '95 SM #86, Northwest / Oregon Region SCCA

jigou Verified Driver
Veteran Member

Region: Des Moines Valley
Car #: 59
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for jigou     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Qik Nip:

What are those guys thinking back at the head shed? Was this an arrogant reaction to NASA's presence and its' audacity to act first? Or was it the act of self destructive behavior?

Just utterly and completely unbelievable. I guess I need to write the BOD. In fact we all do.
Rick

What move is that? The one requesting input on whether to implement the rule on January 1 instead of the initially-proposed February 1?

Or is there something else wadding them up for you?

Jarrod

--------------------
http://www.plainoldgas.com

PedalFaster Verified Driver

Region: Northwest
Car #: 86
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for PedalFaster     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

To close the door on all of the misguided temper tantrums posted here -- the January Fastrack states that the BoD unanimously approved the '99 shock hat rule change, effective January 1, 2008:

quote:
MOTION: To approve the following GCR change as recommended by the Club Racing Board. (Sauce/Lybarger) PASSED Unanimous

Effective 1/1/08, change the second paragraph on section 9.1.8.C.4.b to readas follows:

1999-up cars shall use the bump stops from the Mazdaspeed kit (p/n 0000-04-5993-AW) in conjunction with the 1999-up stock upper mount assembly consisting of the upper mount (p/n: NC10-28-340C), the upper mount bushing (p/n: NC10-28-776) and the upper mount washer (p/n: NC10-28-774), and shock body spacer over the shock shaft (p/n 1234-56-789-AW). All other OEM upper mounting hardware shall be discarded. 1990-1997 cars may use the bump stops from the Mazdaspeed kit (p/n 0000-04-5993-AW) in conjunction with the 1999-up stock upper mount assembly consisting of the upper mount (p/n: NC10-28-340C), the lower mount bushing (p/n: NC10-28-776) and the upper mount washer (p/n: NC10-28-774). Non-OEM equivalents may be used in place of the upper mount, upper mount bushing, and upper mount washer only. No other modifications are allowed.

--------------------
Stephen Hui - '95 SM #86, Northwest / Oregon Region SCCA

Jim Boemler Verified Driver
Veteran Member

Region: NWR, OR
Car #: 30
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jim Boemler     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

What? No tantrums, no panty-wadding? What kind of a forum IS this anyway?!

jim

--------------------
Just a clown

ctkellett Verified Driver
http://www.syncspeedinc.com

Region: Phila
Car #: 93
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for ctkellett   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Looks like just yours, Jim [Smile]

--------------------
All the best,

Chris

Sync Speed, Inc.

Racing Communications
(610) 659- 1033
syncspeedinc@mac.com

Team Cochran Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Member For Rent

Region: Oregon
Car #: 80
Year : 93
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Team Cochran     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

OK stupid question. Is this bumpstop part Mazdaspeed kit (p/n 0000-04-5993-AW) just part of the 99+ kit? So if we have an older 1.6 SM suspension kit will the part be needed or was that part of the old kit too? I understand we have to buy the other three part numbers obviously.

Also, does anyone have a pic of how this is all supposed to go together.

[ 12-20-2007, 06:11 PM: Message edited by: Team Cochran ]

--------------------
Geoff
SM 80

38BFAST Verified Driver

Region: Waterford Hills
Car #: 38
Year : 96
Icon 1 posted  Profile for 38BFAST     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Team Cochran:
OK stupid question. Is this bumpstop part Mazdaspeed kit (p/n 0000-04-5993-AW) just part of the 99+ kit? So if we have an older 1.6 SM suspension kit will the part be needed or was that part of the old kit too? I understand we have to buy the other three part numbers obviously.

Also, does anyone have a pic of how this is all supposed to go together.

http://forum.specmiata.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?/topic/2/3671/2.html

--------------------
Ralph Provitz
2008 WHRRI SM Champion
2008 WHRRI Top 10 Overall
V2 Motorsports, Race support, Data Dude

Team Cochran Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Member For Rent

Region: Oregon
Car #: 80
Year : 93
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Team Cochran     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Sweet that answers all my questions, thanks Ralph!

--------------------
Geoff
SM 80

Page 2 of 2 1  2 

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: