Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Spec Miata Archives » Spec Miata 2001-2009 » SM Compliance Fee

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: SM Compliance Fee
Jerry Cabe Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Cincy / Great Lakes Div
Car #: 10
Year : 1991
Icon 5 posted  Profile for Jerry Cabe   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

OK, I'm confused (not too unusual).

Reading the December FastTrack makes me believe the SM Compliance Fee for 2008 is dead.

Under the November 5, 2007 Board Minutes (with 13 BOD's attending) - "Motion: That the Board recind approval of the Spec Miata Compliance fee (Christian/Sheridan) PASSED Unanimous"

I was happy when I read this and even sent a Thank You letter to the BOD & CRB because I had been so vocal against the Compliance Fee.

Now I receive communication from our divisional Board Member summarizing the BOD face-to-face meeting held November 29 - December 2nd.

"The Spec Miata Compliance Fee was revisited and again was passed. This fee is $10 per car for regional and national race Spec Miata’s. It was explained that a bulk of the fee was to be used to train area Tech Inspectors and provide tools, so that better compliance could be assured starting at the Regional level and continuing on to the National level and finally to the RunOffs which has had very good compliance checking for the past two years. This compliance fee includes Spec Racer (has been in effect for years) and Formula SCCA."

While I haven't confirmed that this is correct, I don't see too many ways to mis-interpret this report. It sounds like the fee is back. And by the same body that had done away with it less than a month earlier (unanimously!). Can anybody else confirm the recent actions of the BOD on this subject?

Jerry

--------------------
Just driving SM until the F-1 car is ready.

jigou Verified Driver
Veteran Member

Region: Des Moines Valley
Car #: 59
Icon 1 posted  Profile for jigou     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I read the same things you did and reached the same conclusion, Jerry.

Jarrod

--------------------
http://www.plainoldgas.com

Qik Nip Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Loose Member '09 & '10 Great Lakes Regional Points Champion

Region: Cincinnati Great Lakes
Car #: 60
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Qik Nip     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Jerry:
I also disagree, but as I see it, it's a tax. And like most taxes this one is targeted where it will generate the most revinue. One look at the the typical event SM car counts and that becomes obvious to me.
Rick

--------------------
Fortune Cookie Racing SM 60
Directions for use: Race, Rumple, Repair ... Repeat!

Steve Scheifler Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: STL
Car #: 82
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Steve Scheifler     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Well that's remarkably unfair. They didn't decide to collect $ then choose SM, there were requests from our ranks to improve tech this way. Like it or not, they were being responsive to membership who took the time to get involved.

Gary Somers Verified Driver

Region: WDC
Car #: 39
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gary Somers     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Just a thought, but how many drivers have considered switching to SSM because of the compliance fee? Personally I consider it a donation to National. I don't believe we will see any benefit at the regional level. Just my $.02

jigou Verified Driver
Veteran Member

Region: Des Moines Valley
Car #: 59
Icon 1 posted  Profile for jigou     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

We don't have SSM in this area, but even if we did I wouldn't go there specifically to avoid the compliance fee.

I'll take an "innocent until proven guilty" stance on this.

Jarrod

--------------------
http://www.plainoldgas.com

Drago Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: mid south
Car #: 2
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

My 2 cents...
It seemed like the leaders of spec tire discussions run regionals where tires are open for the most part... [scratchchin] Now, so many asked for more tech and when we get it for what amounts to less than lunch at the track, we complain.. Sometimes I think we are our own worst enemy, I don't mind the nominal fee if it does nothing more than insure one car per division pushed into compliance. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com
2006-2007 Mid-West Division
07,09 June Sprints Champion

EAST STREET RACING

FastM3 Verified Driver

Region: NER
Car #: 38
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for FastM3     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

OK... Just so I understand.

To make sure we are compliant I now cannot afford to buy lunch at the track.

Sorry Jim... I could not resist.

--------------------
Phil
Silver 38 SM/ITA

MegaModerator

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

It's all part of my 2008 weight loss program

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com

EAST STREET RACING

backusm Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ

Region: CenDiv
Car #: 94
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for backusm     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Jim Drago:
My 2 cents...
It seemed like the leaders of spec tire discussions run regionals where tires are open for the most part... [scratchchin]

Causal hop, skip, and leap. Care to provide a data point or two that shows disproportionance (is that a word), and then causation not correlation? [Big Grin]

Edited to call out the nice hijack, though. [cheerful]

--------------------
Mike Backus
90 SM white #94

B Wilson Verified Driver Series Champ
Gold Member

Region: Oregon
Car #: 68
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for B Wilson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Gary Somers:
Just a thought, but how many drivers have considered switching to SSM because of the compliance fee? Personally I consider it a donation to National. I don't believe we will see any benefit at the regional level. Just my $.02

Gary, you might ask Jeremy Thoennes about this. I did and he said the fee will be used for tech at regional and national events. You might still not believe, but that is the official word for now.

quote:
Originally posted by Jim Drago:
My 2 cents...
It seemed like the leaders of spec tire discussions run regionals where tires are open for the most part... [scratchchin] [Big Grin]

Jim, why do you think that? AS far as I know, most folks in the NW who run nationals prefer spec tires. But that's just my little corner of the world.

-Bruce

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ
2010 Monte Shelton Driver of the Year
2010 25 Hours of Thunderhill E3 and Under 2 liter Overall Champion
Oregon Region SM Class Advisor

MegaModerator

Mike
Your a smart guy who knows how to use the search button... [Big Grin] Go back and read the threads. You know how the forums work... For the record I have flipped on this and I am pro spec tire... but I think you'll find I am correct in more non national competitors worked on getting a spec tire and were the most vocal and it effected them the least.. but I digress.. this thread is about compliance fee.
[Big Grin]

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com

EAST STREET RACING

Icon 6 posted  Profile for Jerry Cabe   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

OK Steve & Jim,

Let me try to explain my position on the compliance fee. First, let me state that I am not a long time SCCA'er or racer. So I don't know a lot of the history other than what I put together from my readings. As a fairly anal person, I try to read and keep up with the rules, as well as live by them. I would rather run where I do as opposed to having a mechanical/performance advantage that does not meet the rules (just the way I am).

As a member of SCCA, the only rule notification I have is from the GCR and FastTracks. Nothing else is official (not even respected opinions found in this forum). I have searched over the past year's FastTracks on the subject of a SM Compliance Fee and find the following.

In May 2007 FastTrack, reflecting the 4/3/07 CRB meeting, "The CRB requests input about implimenting a compliance fee for the regional and national events." At the time I saw this request, but believed that there would be such an uproar from the SM community, that I did not respond (my bad).

In July 2007 FastTrack, reflecting the 6/5/07 CRB meeting, "Change Section 3.3.5.E as follows: A $10 surcharge for each Spec Racer, Formula SCCA and Spec Miata car must be submitted to the SCCA National Office with the Tow Fund and excess sanction fees for the event."

Also in the issue was the note of one "Opposition to compliance fee (Daniels)"

Additionally noted in an additional section of this FastTrack were the previously omitted minutes from the May 2007 BOD meeting where it was noted that "Jeremy Thoennes discussed the idea of a Spec Miata compliance fee to fund additional compliance inspections."

In the September 2007 FastTrack, reflecting the CRB minutes of the 8/7/07 meeting, it was noted that input was received "Post more detail about the SM compliance fee (3 letters)", "Support for compliance fee with 50% toward regionals (1 letter)", and "Opposition to compliance fee (2 letters)".

In the December 2007 FastTrack, reflecting the 11/5/07 BOD meeting, "Motion: That the Board recind approval of the Spec Miata Compliance fee (Christian/Sheridan) PASSED Unanimous".

My point in pulling all of this out is that as an SCCA member who relys on the GCR and the FastTrack, where in the documentation should I recognize that the compliance fee was requested by members, or there was input that favored the proposal that was put forth?

And now it appears that the BOD has decided to reverse their November unanimous decision with no explaination. Not much transparency in this process from my observation. It appears that there is input being considered other than that being published in FastTrack.

Now for the gotcha; I'm not necessarily against a compliance fee if a plan was put together of how much it would generate and how it would specifically be use. And I don't mean to just say it will be used to train inspectors and provide tools. Let's see a plan that is financially balanced. How many training sessions, where, what type of tooling, etc. This is a fee that will likely be with us for the foreseeable years to come, not just a one time tax to pay for equipment and initial training.

I also talked to a lot of Spec Racer Ford racers who have paid a compliance fee for many years, and they are close to a true spec class. The overwhelming majority of the SRF racers I queried did not see any direct inspection from the fee. Approximately half felt that the fee benefited their class, but most had never had any direct inspection of their cars through the fee. I doubt SM will be any different.

I hope I am wrong in my expectations of an SM compliance fee, but I fully expect to see no benefit from my paying the fee. Additionally, I question the process for the solicitation and recognition of input within the SCCA.

This must be my $1.02 worth,

Jerry

--------------------

B(Kuch) Kucera 45 Verified Driver
Veteran Member

Region: NeOh
Car #: 45
Icon 1 posted  Profile for B(Kuch) Kucera 45   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

No Jerry,it's your $10.02 worth! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Bob
!KUCH!

"All my drinking buddies have a racing problem"

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jerry Cabe   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Come on Bob, It wasn't that bad. [soapbox]

Jerry

--------------------

B(Kuch) Kucera 45 Verified Driver
Veteran Member

Region: NeOh
Car #: 45
Icon 1 posted  Profile for B(Kuch) Kucera 45   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Jerry,If I typed that out it would have taken me about three to four hours.I get paid about $25.00 an hour so that would be about $75.00 to $100.00.

That would cover 10 races! [Big Grin]

LOL Jerry,just kidding around!

PS you could add about 2 more hours to check the spellin or is it spelling! [Wink]

--------------------
Bob
!KUCH!

"All my drinking buddies have a racing problem"

Capt. John

Region: FL.
Car #: # 27 ITA
Year : 1986
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Capt. John     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The BoD met recently and over the course of a few days addressed numerous issues which will no doubt show up in the next Fastrack. The Spec Miata Compliance fee was voted on Sat. Dec 1st. It was voted back in after having been recinded recently. The vote was 7-6 in favor of having the fee. The majority of the Board were convinced more of the SM drivers wanted it than didn't. Something about desiring a level playing field for all. This was a "hot button" issue amongst the BoD. The $$$$ will be used in two ways. First, some special tools need to be purchased to make it easy & accurate to check the SM engines. Second,the tech folks need instruction in how to check the cars. The National Tech staff will spearhead the program,including some on-site inspections and training. Many of the Board are concerned that the program might not work, it may not be practical or it might get bogged down. But they did feel that to do nothing, would not bode well for the SM class and it's continued growth. This informtion was provided to me by my Area Director. The section of the GCR that deals with this is 3.3.5 E although the new 2008 GCR does not reflect this, as the fee was just enacted, and the GCR has already been printed. The $10 fee will be added to each entry by SM...SRF..and FE. I trust this will answer some of the questions folks have on this issue.

Capt. John

Kent Carter Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Future Never Has Been

Region: Houston
Car #: 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kent Carter   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I imagine how it gets spent will depend a bit on the local tech gurus. I, for one, will be pressuring our local tech volunteers to tap into that money. Squeaky wheel, etc. Let's use the money to get the tools and training to bust all the rules stretchers.

I will support them however I can to get the most out of this opportunity.

--------------------
Do I turn my 99 Hard S into a killerfast SM or seek a donor?

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: