Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Spec Miata Archives » Spec Miata 2001-2009 » New to SM, need a bit of advice

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: New to SM, need a bit of advice
oasist

Region: KC
Car #: not sure yet
Year : 2002
Icon 1 posted  Profile for oasist   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Hellp guys/gals,
I am new to the forum and see that you guys have provided a real wealth of knowledge here on the forum, so, I say thank you for that.

For the past 5 seasons, I have been running around the country like a mad man autocrossing, mainly in a Mini Cooper S. My cousin as well as my uncle both run in SCCA Formula Atlantic, so, I have been to the runoff's watching as well as attending several track events. Bottom line is, I really have had a burning desire to Road Race for a couple years and feel like now is the time.

Last month while working in California on business, I purchased an 02 5-spd Miata(just happens to have sport package) thinking I would like to run SM next season if things work out as I hope they will(financially with potential sponsors and such).

I bought my 02 for an unbelievably good deal, so, I don't have much in it and it only has has 34K miles and runs as new. The body is not perfect, which is why I got it so cheap, but, its just a few imperfections here and there. That leads to my question......

What, in your opinions, would be the best thing to do, build a SM with my 02 or buy a pre-built SM? My goal would be to work my way up to being nationally competitive(of course, in time). So, would an 02 be the way to go or should I sell it and build/buy an NA?

Also, what would be the best wheel offset for an 02 SM? I assume there is a range that works best and I also realize that you can change handling slightly with different offsets, so, I assume I'll probably get a couple sets of one offset and a couple sets of another offset. I was able to bring my wheel sponsor(18Racing.com) over from SCCA Solo, so, I'll be running Rota's, and, they have tons of Slipstreams in 40mm offset 15x7's. However, I can possibly get them to special order whatever offset is optimal, so, I could start with 40mm and just use spacers if its not optimal. After doing a search, I see the Slipstreams are 13# in 15x7, so, I guess that would be the wheel I'll get. They also have a slightly heavier Rota RB which is 25mm, 30mm as well as 35mm offset

thanks for the input, hopefully I'll see some of you at the track in the coming years. :-)

Craig Wilcox
KC Region SCCA

--------------------
18Racing.com
QuickSilver Exhaust
ZZYZX Motorsports

Casey Z Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
MegaModerator

Region: MidDiv
Car #: 13
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Casey Z     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Craig,

Hey, you may not remember me but we met at your Dad's place while I was doing ATGS testing.

You have PM.

Thanks,

--------------------
----------------
Z Brothers Racing / East Street Auto

Casey Z - 1.6 Kettle
MidDiv National #13

oasist

Icon 1 posted  Profile for oasist   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Casey

Wow, yes, I do remember you. That is very cool! How long have you been running SM?

Craig

--------------------
18Racing.com
QuickSilver Exhaust
ZZYZX Motorsports

Casey Z Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
MegaModerator

Region: MidDiv
Car #: 13
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Casey Z     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by oasist:
Casey

Wow, yes, I do remember you. That is very cool! How long have you been running SM?

Two years. Don't have as much money as I used to but the grin is hard wipe off. Get me via the email address I sent you and we can talk.

--------------------
----------------
Z Brothers Racing / East Street Auto

Casey Z - 1.6 Kettle
MidDiv National #13

oasist

cool, email sent....

--------------------
18Racing.com
QuickSilver Exhaust
ZZYZX Motorsports

oasist

I'm told that the 02 isn't really the way to go. So, I'll probably just sell it or continue to use it as a driver and just buy an already built SM.

On the wheels, I'm thinking I'll just go with 30mm offset Rota RB's since the 15x7 Slipstreams might be too light.

--------------------
18Racing.com
QuickSilver Exhaust
ZZYZX Motorsports

jigou Verified Driver
Veteran Member

Region: Des Moines Valley
Car #: 59
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for jigou     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Me, I'd pick up a set of Kazera KZ-M wheels from TireRack. Right at the limit for weight, the "right" offset, and cheap.

There are a few folks in the KC area running SM - we'll see if they crawl out of the woodwork here....

Jarrod

--------------------
http://www.plainoldgas.com

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: