Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Spec Miata Archives » Spec Miata 2001-2009 » new to spec miata

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: new to spec miata
racinry91

Icon 1 posted  Profile for racinry91     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Ive been racing shifter karts for 4 years now and we intend on making the jump to a Miata.

How much a weekend do you guys on average?

I am trying to figure how much more (if anymore) we will be spending in the car other than a kart

Mark de Regt Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: NWR/Oregon; ICSCC
Car #: 70
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mark de Regt   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Not including the car, and not including major expenses which crop up from time to time (e.g., crash damage), I very roughly guess that it costs me about $1000 per race weekend. I usually enter two classes (SM and ITA).

There's no science, and very little rigor to my method, but I don't think it's far wrong.

Jim Daniels

Icon 1 posted    Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

After equipment many karters say it is less. Have fun budget is not much more than travel and entry fees with a set of tires and brakes every few weekends.

B(Kuch) Kucera 45 Verified Driver
Veteran Member

Region: NeOh
Car #: 45
Icon 1 posted  Profile for B(Kuch) Kucera 45   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I don't have the kind of money some of these guy's have so I average about $450.to $500. a weekend.That's if your hitting local tracks,if you travel it will easily be $1,000 to $1,500 a weekend.

I'm so poor that I only had one set of tires for the hole year.I'm not fast yet,I only finish in the top 5 usually [Big Grin] so you can make a set of tires last.Alot of guy's only use a set of tires for about two weekends. So you can be cheap like me and still have fun.

--------------------
Bob
!KUCH!

"All my drinking buddies have a racing problem"

Michael B. Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Central
Car #: 1
Year : 1994
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Michael B.     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

A grand a weekend 'eh? I am assuming hotel & travel expense included. I have seen it done on the cheap and guys still have more fun than a roller coaster. I am already looking forward to the fun in '08.

--------------------
MB.

Veteran Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mark de Regt   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

It often costs around $400 for entry fees (two classes). Throw in brake pads, gas, tires and hotel (more often than not) and travel, and $1000 is a fair guess, I think. And that's using my tires for many, many sessions (never less than 30).

He asked how much this costs; not how much you go through in brake pads. So I included what it costs, not just brake pads. [Smile]

B Wilson Verified Driver Series Champ
Gold Member

Region: Oregon
Car #: 68
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for B Wilson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I've always hated to hear the $1k per weekend number, and while I do know that I spent more than that this season, I also know that it can be done for a lot cheaper, as I've done that too. Hotel, restuarants, race gas, tires every other weekend, extra class, etc add up.

On top of registration fees for a single class, and assuming no damage...

2-3 sets of front pads per season, 1 set of rear pads. And 1 set of rotors per season depending on the pads purchased.

4-5/32 shaved tires won't win races, but will last a lot longer (they will go off long before they cord -- depending on track ). Or buy takeoffs from others. 2-3 sets per year if your lucky. Add a set for rains, or just don't shave.

Buy the $3 per gallon gas at the station. 4-5 gallons per session depending on the length of session.

Live near a track.

Car is in top shape. These cars are rock solid, and don't require much maintenance, but YMMV.

Bring food, camp in tent or truck.

Other consumable... Lubricants, etc.

Did I miss anything? Bribes to officials?

Assuming no travel and not counting food, as you have to eat, racing or not. Rock bottom would be about $650-700 per weekend.

-Bruce

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ
2010 Monte Shelton Driver of the Year
2010 25 Hours of Thunderhill E3 and Under 2 liter Overall Champion
Oregon Region SM Class Advisor

Casey Z Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
MegaModerator

Region: MidDiv
Car #: 13
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Casey Z     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Bruce, I live near a track and run there about 10-12 weekends a year. Your budget is pretty close. The only thing it doesn't take into account is stuff that gets broken. That is what kills the budget. We built three motors, a trans, a diff, and reparied susspension and body work this year. That is the stuff you can't predict but have to factor in. That is how I end up at the $1000 number. I only bought 4 sets of tires btw.

Here's hoping for a no broken parts 2008! [Big Grin]

--------------------
----------------
Z Brothers Racing / East Street Auto

Casey Z - 1.6 Kettle
MidDiv National #13

Gold Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for B Wilson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Casey,

Ouch, that's a tough season for sure. I've had a few of those too.

-Bruce

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ

Casey Z Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
MegaModerator

Region: MidDiv
Car #: 13
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Casey Z     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Yup it was a tough one for sure. I started joking that I hoped I would crash. Whenever I got hit nothing broke. Body work is cheaper than drive train...

For the record, all our mechanicals were just stuff that went bad or wrong, some things just happen. Only ended up with one DNF, but the pocket book gets hit either way. From my experiance I would say make a budget on consumables and then add 50%. You should be safe amortized over a few seasons.

--------------------
----------------
Z Brothers Racing / East Street Auto

Casey Z - 1.6 Kettle
MidDiv National #13

Gold Member

That sounds about right.

racinry91,

Now if you want to be at the pointy end of a National field, throw all these budgets out, get a second/third mortgage, and whatever you do DON'T record what you spend [Big Grin] But, I'm sure you already know that if you race shifters competitively.

-Bruce

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ

Cajun Miata Man Verified Driver
Overdog Driver

Region: Houston; SWDIV
Car #: 15
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Cajun Miata Man     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I shouldn't have looked, but when I pulled up my finance tracking program, I spent about $2.5K per weekend (averaged out) for 2007 season as a data point. And that's everything, consumables, parts, repairs, tires, transporation costs, etc. Even the coffee I drink each morning. Any expense that was incurred due to the race activity is catorized as "racing" in my number.

So it can add up when you really look at it. I should clarify that I typically have to tow at least 400 miles each way, so fuel adds up.

Why did I look......

[ 12-10-2007, 01:19 PM: Message edited by: Cajun Miata Man ]

--------------------
James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA
powered by:
East Street Racing, Memphis TN
set up guru:
Gilfus Racing, Austin TX

jwarren Verified Driver

Region: NNJ
Car #: 51
Icon 1 posted  Profile for jwarren   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

i don't know about the rest of the guys, but i'm a fairly broke college student... i usually spend 3-4000 on a whole season, which is usually about 7-10 races for me.

i buy tires at 4/32, and they'll last a season.
i don't know how these other guys go through brakes/rotors, because i check mine after every event and they're still doing just fine. (its been 1 season with them). maybe i'm just not braking hard enough...

entry fees and gas to get there are the most expensive thing for me, but luckily, nothing is over a 4 1/2 hr drive.

however, i have been adding "upgrades" to my car which has cost quite a bit, but this isn't regular maintenance.

other than body work and other unexpected occurances, you really should be good to go.

by the way, i typically finish mid-pack and last year i managed a top ten - not bad for a rookie. i can tell you that my car is definately not the thing holding me back.

--------------------
Ridgespeed Racing

#51 J. Andrew Warren

http://www.ridgespeedracing.com

Veteran Member

Brake wear can very much be a function of the track(s) you race on. Our two most local tracks are fairly hard on brakes; I'll get three weekends out of a set of front pads, and probably six or so out of a set of rear pads. I haven't gone through a set of new rotors, so I don't know about them (and they're practically free, anyway).

Here's a typical race weekend for me:

Entry (two classes)--$370
Hotel (two nights)--$200 (There's a closer track, which doesn't require a hotel, but it does require a long drive each way each day, and it doesn't have as many races as Portland does, and it's not as good a track for racing in many ways).
Food--$50
Gas at race (92 octane from pump)--$100
To and from event--$40 (I drive my race car)
Brake pads--$60
Tires--$175 (more or less a new set every four weekends)

That's $955, not including any other expense, or amortizing wear and tear on parts. And not factoring in the occasional crash. In this, my first year of racing (I did 8 race weekends), I broke an engine (I've spent about $450 fixing it); replaced a throttle body, idle air valve, idle speed control valve, air filter, radiator; fixed my AFM; replaced my front hubs; and that doesn't include upgrades to my car, such as a fire system, AiM MXL Pista, making the cage larger, getting a pop-in front window, getting window vents, and lots of other things I can't think of offhand. I bought a very decent video camera, only for use in the car (my kids are all grown up, although two of them cost big bucks for tuition). I've done routine maintenance, like fluid changes, a number of times, but not included the cost here. And there's no labor costs included in those expenses.

I don't want to sleep in a tent, but I'm not staying at the Ritz. I'm eating at a local diner, or at the track, not a fancy restaurant. I shave my tires to 4/32, and run them into the ground. I don't have (and didn't spend the huge bucks acquiring and storing) a tow vehicle or trailer.

I'm not doing this on the cheap, but I'm also not doing it in a luxurious fashion. I want to do two classes, because there's no substitute for seat time, and the incremental cost of two classes is fairly small in the context of all I spend on this activity.

My message is, then, that I think you're fooling yourself if you think you can do any significant amount of racing for less than $1,000 a weekend, and enjoy it for long. You can cut some costs by entering one class (maybe $200), but why cut <20% of your costs, when that cuts 50% of your track time?

B(Kuch) Kucera 45 Verified Driver
Veteran Member

Region: NeOh
Car #: 45
Icon 1 posted  Profile for B(Kuch) Kucera 45   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

WOW,you guy's are even scaring me with how much you guy's spend.

I was just wondering if spending all that money would make me faster? [Big Grin]

Don't get me wrong I only do about 7 to 10 race weekends a season,and only 2 tracks Nelson Ledges and Mid-O.I did 1 race at Mosport.Nelsons is a high speed track and not smooth either.I only used 1 set of new 2/32 tires and had to buy a set of take offs for the last race.

On the average I spent $500. to $550 a weekend,I didn't stay at the tracks I drove back and forth.When I did go to Mossport I did spend $1,500.with gas and lodging.

In our region I finished 3rd in Regionals and 11th in National points.The National points I got I did with only 2 National races.The regional points I got(3rd overall for season) was with 4 race weekends.

So don't get to affrayed,if you live close to a track you can do it for alot cheaper than a $1,000. a weekend.They are right though,if you start banging up your car you can throw that price out the window.

--------------------
Bob
!KUCH!

"All my drinking buddies have a racing problem"

Jon Pressman Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
..driver for hire..

Region: WDC
Car #: 87
SMIM: racerJRP
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jon Pressman     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

We ran 8 races this season. Ran the first two on a set of leftover tires from last season. Ran the last 6 races on one set of what started as new 4/32 tires. We had a strange (possibly self inflicted?) brake issue this season so I cant really comment about wear, but last season we ran the season (7races)on one set of rotors and pads...they would have been fine for this season too, but I wanted to try another compound. Like others have said, a lot of brake wear depends on your tracks, but it seems that some drivers burn through equipment faster no matter where they are.

We slept in another drivers enclosed trailer @ all the races this season as well.

All tracks were 3.25 - 12.5 hour drives.

I can't even fathom spending <$2000 a weekend... $500-600 is more realistic/ doable on a budget.

After the initial purchase, I dont think this will be much, if any more expensive than running a shifter kart. I came from karting, and although it is going from an 18-25 race season to roughly 10, the cost is pretty close to the same. I know at the national karting level there are people spending + $100K on one 5 race national season. I dont even think the national SM guys spend that??

--------------------
SSM #87 MARRS
--2007 ARRC SSM Champion--

Windsorcustoms.com

tvance85

Car #: 85
Year : 2001
Icon 1 posted  Profile for tvance85     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

We are in the same boat...Just leaving karts and headed to SM. My son has been running for the past 5 years and each year the budget crept a bit more. We were spending about $2300 a weeeknd this season running 2 classes (Please don't mention that to my wife). From what we hear a weekend in SM should be a bit more affordable, but if you want to run up front we realize that eventually you have to spend. I try and turn a blind eye to the costs as you simply can't place a value on the time you spend with your kid on a race weekend.

We are looking forward to meeting many of you in the coming years. He is a youngster (13 years old), so we will be around for a while, but not out at any of the SCCA stuff anytime soon. I am glad to see that NASA is keeping an open mind about the younger drivers coming up through the ranks. Maybe the SCCA will take a page from their book in the coming years.

Given all of the opportunity and support Mazda provides to the sport, we see this as a logical progression for other young drivers. Looking forward to seeing you out at the track. Tom and Tyler

#85 - SoCal 2001 SM (Build in progress)

Mike
Memphis PC Guy

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Welcome Tom & Tyler!

I think you will be pleasantly surprised. If you consider buying a well prepped car from the start, your costs will remain budgetable with no real surprises, barring those first 3 or so attitude adjustment races, that tend to cost fenders and hard to repair hind quarters. It's chasing that last 10th of a second that tends to open the gravity well in your wallet. At the point you feel your wallet slipping from your grasp give Jim Daniels or one of the other old guard a ring and they will point you in the right direction.

Enjoy!

--------------------
Mike
Memphis PC Guy
http://memphispcguy.com
http://www.mazdaracers.com

Jim Boemler Verified Driver
Veteran Member

Region: NWR, OR
Car #: 30
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jim Boemler     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

What age does NASA require to drive an SM? Coming from SCCA, I wasn't aware anybody let people drive race cars before 16. For the kind of money you've been spending, you could BOTH race in SM -- something to think about.

jim

--------------------
Just a clown

tvance85

Car #: 85
Year : 2001
Icon 1 posted  Profile for tvance85     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

NASA will allow him to move up through the HPDE ranks based on his previous experience. They consider his racing expereince along with his grades and recommendations from his racing community and school staff. He just completed a car control clinic (Driving Concepts) and is already quite at home in a full size car.

Believe me, the move to SM has me smilling...I quit karting to wrench for him and I look at this as a way to get back behind the wheel. We are building the car to fit me and having a custom seat insert poured for him. I am having AWR do all of the set up. Our first chance to get it to the track will be Laguna Seca (what a shame).

Against the urging of others I decided to build a car. I found an 01 for $6800 and couldn't resist. I feel a bit more comfortable putting him in a car that we built from the ground up. I know what it is and more importantly what it isn't. We will probablly end up at around 17K all in. You know how that goes, I told my wife it would cost X, I told myself it would cost a bit more and then I got the AMEX bill. Ouch.

Anyway, I can't wait to get back at it.

d mathias Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: OVR
Car #: 88
Icon 1 posted  Profile for d mathias     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I thought NASA required a state driver's license to be on track.

Cajun Miata Man Verified Driver
Overdog Driver

Region: Houston; SWDIV
Car #: 15
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Cajun Miata Man     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Hey all,

I don't won't to discourage any newcomer with my expenses, but also don't want anyone to be disillusioned as to the expense. My costs are everything spent to support that hobby. From pre-season dyno work, motor work, tools, whatever... And I tow a lot of miles. It must also be said, depending on which division you are in, and where you wish to finish will impact your budget. For example 30 national points in our division didn't even qualify you for the dance in Topeka (if that matters for ya), while in others you would be like 3rd to 5th in the division standings.

That being said, you can "race" on the cheap. When I first started running SM 3 years ago and run a local track and local series and did 2 or 3 SCCA races, I probably only spent about $400 a weekend locally, and $800 a weekend for out of state SCCA due to tow, food and lodging.

As long as you understand your goals and how much time/expense to get there, you're good to go.

Regards,

--------------------
James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA