Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Spec Miata Archives » Spec Miata 2001-2009 » R888 Data Thread (Page 4)

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic
Page 4 of 4 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: R888 Data Thread
Casey Z Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
MegaModerator

Region: MidDiv
Car #: 13
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Casey Z     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Cliff BDR:
I say pick a tire, that is reasonably priced new, that lets the SM show its true potential (Hoosier), did I say that out loud?

Good post and I agree, but we are stuck with Toyo for another couple of years. Now I need to get out of here because I am pretty sure the masses are going to start the "Stone Him!" chant pretty soon for this kind of talk... [Big Grin]

--------------------
----------------
Z Brothers Racing / East Street Auto

Casey Z - 1.6 Kettle
MidDiv National #13

Kent Carter Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Future Never Has Been

Region: Houston
Car #: 91
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kent Carter   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Let he that is without spin cast the first stone!

--------------------
Do I turn my 99 Hard S into a killerfast SM or seek a donor?

Juan Pineda Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: San Francisco
Car #: 34
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Juan Pineda   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

My experience last season points toward 888's being faster than RA1s. I think I had them and my driving with them really dialed in by the end of the season. In the last couple weekends I ran the rears 4lbs lower than the fronts, and had good results. I'll be curious to see how they do against RA1 during the crossover period.

Juan

--------------------
www.ArtOfRoadRacing.com Race Craft Clinic - Thunderhill - 30 Jan 2011

B Wilson Verified Driver Series Champ
Gold Member

Region: Oregon
Car #: 68
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for B Wilson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I heart Hoosiers...

-b

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ
2010 Monte Shelton Driver of the Year
2010 25 Hours of Thunderhill E3 and Under 2 liter Overall Champion
Oregon Region SM Class Advisor

Drago Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: mid south
Car #: 2
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Juan Pineda:
My experience last season points toward 888's being faster than RA1s. I think I had them and my driving with them really dialed in by the end of the season. In the last couple weekends I ran the rears 4lbs lower than the fronts, and had good results. I'll be curious to see how they do against RA1 during the crossover period.

Juan

I think the R888 will be faster then new RA1's pretty easily. Afer the Ra1's get some cycles on them, I take R888's on tracks w/o long straights and ra1's with tracks with long straights

Jim

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com
2006-2007 Mid-West Division
07,09 June Sprints Champion

EAST STREET RACING

d mathias Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: OVR
Car #: 88
Icon 1 posted  Profile for d mathias     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm just glad that my home division, Great Lakes, decided to keep SM open tires for regional competition in 2010 (Hoosier).

MegaModerator

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

anyone wanting some new r888's $150 rebate form ...

http://cache.toyotires.com/sites/default/files/imce/R888_Rebate_1a.pdf

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com

EAST STREET RACING

Veteran Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Juan Pineda   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Actually, another reason that I like R888's is that I think they have something to teach the driver. I had to really pay attention to what the tire was communicating through the steering wheel to get the most out of them. Some say that you have to drive smoother with them. R888's have been a useful learning experience for me, and I think I'm a better driver for learning how to drive on them.

-Juan

--------------------

MegaModerator

Juan,
If your wallet matters, they teach you fast not to slide the car.. If you do, you will shred the tires.
Jim

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com

EAST STREET RACING

Veteran Member

quote:
Originally posted by Drago:
If your wallet matters, they teach you fast not to slide the car.. If you do, you will shred the tires.

Well then two reasons to learn better driving habits!

Hmm. I'm thinking perhaps it was that the RA1's taught those of us that learned to race on them poor driving habits, which we are now unlearning through R888's.

-Juan

--------------------

B Wilson Verified Driver Series Champ
Gold Member

Region: Oregon
Car #: 68
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for B Wilson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I heart 888s

-b

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ
2010 Monte Shelton Driver of the Year
2010 25 Hours of Thunderhill E3 and Under 2 liter Overall Champion
Oregon Region SM Class Advisor

Cliffy Chains

Region: Central FL
Car #: 17
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Cliffy Chains   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Actually, another reason that I like R888's is that I think they have something to teach the driver. I had to really pay attention to what the tire was communicating through the steering wheel to get the most out of them. Some say that you have to drive smoother with them. R888's have been a useful learning experience for me, and I think I'm a better driver for learning how to drive on them.

-Juan

I couldnt agree more, the R888's have made the majority of us pay closer attention to rotating, pressure, wear patterns, and tread depth more than any other tire before.

But if SM has taught me anything at all, WE have to still complain. Complain when we win, bitch when we loose, blame it on tires, wheels, weight, fuel, weather, hills, rocks, sand, off camber turns, oil spill, mechanical failures, beer, and need be, blame it on chickens. (long story, but I know they had to of made me loose somehow.)

I forgot what I was complaining about...
[banghead]

--------------------
BDR Motorsports, Autotechnik
Cliff Blanchard
Down on power 1.6
Sluggish overweight 99'

MegaModerator

quote:
Originally posted by Cliff BDR:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Juan Pineda:
[qb] But if SM has taught me anything at all, WE have to still complain. Complain when we win, bitch when we loose, blame it on tires, wheels, weight, fuel, weather, hills, rocks, sand, off camber turns, oil spill, mechanical failures, beer, and need be, blame it on chickens. (long story, but I know they had to of made me loose somehow.)

I forgot what I was complaining about...
[banghead]

Cliffy
My wife says all races, sm drivers in particular have only two stories...
A) I kicked everyones ass and they all suck
B) #$%^*&( cheaters!

Amazing what you learn sitting on the sidelines [Big Grin]

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com

EAST STREET RACING

Gatoratty Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Central Florida
Car #: 3
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

C) All of the above [Smash]

--------------------
Paul McLester

Qik Nip Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Loose Member '09 & '10 Great Lakes Regional Points Champion

Region: Cincinnati Great Lakes
Car #: 60
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Qik Nip     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Drago:
quote:

Juan

I think the R888 will be faster then new RA1's pretty easily. Afer the Ra1's get some cycles on them, I take R888's on tracks w/o long straights and ra1's with tracks with long straights

Jim

Wait-just-a-minit...Are we now praising the same 888 that we were cursing just six months ago? Naw, couldn't happen. [yep]
Rick

--------------------
Fortune Cookie Racing SM 60
Directions for use: Race, Rumple, Repair ... Repeat!

Page 4 of 4 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: