Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Spec Miata Archives » Spec Miata 2001-2009 » Big theft at laguna Friday night (Page 2)

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic
Page 2 of 2 1  2 

Author Topic: Big theft at laguna Friday night
Motor City Hamilton

Region: Great Lakes/Detroit
Car #: 51
Year : 1994 Miata
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Motor City Hamilton     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

At least 13 sets of tires, so at least 52 tires & rims. Like $18,000 worth of product. This can't be the first time this type of smash and grab has happened. It's just too organized. They had to have like 26 guys (two tires per guy) and just walk in and walk out once. Quick, less likely to wake anyone.

If they're good enough criminals to plan that out, we won't see these on Ebay or Craigslist. These will be sold on Friday and Saturday nights in the parking lot at the local tuner hangout. Have you ever had two guys in a van approach you in Walmart parking lot trying to sell you some speakers on the cheap?

Dr.Dan Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
V8, nice! And good for you too!

Region: san francisco region
Car #: 39
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dr.Dan     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

They probably had a trailer , Because we found one if mine that they forgot in an area hidden, mostly from direct view. I guess they just forgot to load it. I believe they were carried to this trailer and then left. If I had onlt put my plastic tarp on the tires. Those things make a huge racket when they came off.

--------------------
Daniel Mairani DDS...still here, just faster.
http://www.DanielMairanidds.com

Viet-Tam Luu
Slow

Region: San Francisco Region
Car #: 14
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Viet-Tam Luu   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Motor City Hamilton:
If they're good enough criminals to plan that out, we won't see these on Ebay or Craigslist. These will be sold on Friday and Saturday nights in the parking lot at the local tuner hangout.

That's a good point. Maybe someone should post to some of the bigger Honda (etc.) message boards?

--------------------
Viet-Tam Luu (a.k.a. "Tam")
SFR-SCCA #14 ITS
Director, SCCA San Francisco Region

Kyle Freiheit

Region: NWR
Car #: #78 sorry Terrell
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kyle Freiheit     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

So, I typically leave a bunch of wheels and tires at the track overnight on race weekends so this thread got me thinking.. what about something like this.

http://www.lockalarm.com/lockalarmcablelo.html

Kyle

Gatoratty Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Central Florida
Car #: 3
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

That cable is a good idea.

--------------------
Paul McLester

Motor City Hamilton

Region: Great Lakes/Detroit
Year : 1994 Miata
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Motor City Hamilton     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I like that cable with alarm. But I doubt it would be worth these guys carrying bolt cutters with them. They'd just move on to the next pit box. These guys knew that racers will leave their tires laying around unlocked. Smash and grab. Get in and get out quick.

A few years ago I lived just outside of a pretty poor, rough neighborhood. Our house was robbed three times in six months. A white van (they caught part of the ring later using white vans) park on the block for a few days watching for times people leave for work. One group was caught with a clip board and notes next to each address. They didn't hit any houses next to retirees that are home all day. They kicked in our door, dumped every drawer, cabinet, flipped the beds, grabbed and were out within 3 minutes. Then, hit the house next door and next door and next door.

Our next new door was reinforced steel framed, heavy door. The police said be glad we weren't home because the guy was wearing tennis shoes. Size 17 tennis shoes. They usually wear boots because tennis shoes absorb the impact. The police said that they hit our house three times because they got guns in the first hit and they know insurance would replace them in about six week. Both of my roomates were hunters. They didn't come back after three times because the guns were locked in the attack and the theves didn't want to go into an area with only one exit.

Think like a thief. These bastards have been to races before. Probably stayed all weekend before. I guess we need to watch out for any enclosed trailers sitting around without cars and people pitted around them? I can't imagine someone driving past the security gate with an open trailer stacked with tires. Or them driving done the road with a lawn mower trailer stacked with tires. Do you think they used an enclosed trailer? Would be easy to drive away in.

misterwaterfallin

Region: Northwest
Car #: 07
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for misterwaterfallin     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Viet-Tam Luu:
quote:
Originally posted by Motor City Hamilton:
If they're good enough criminals to plan that out, we won't see these on Ebay or Craigslist. These will be sold on Friday and Saturday nights in the parking lot at the local tuner hangout.

That's a good point. Maybe someone should post to some of the bigger Honda (etc.) message boards?
I've been looking on honda-tech sense and haven't seen anything pop up
http://hondamarketplace.com/forumdisplay.php?f=119
that's the link to their wheel and tire for sale section

--------------------
-Mathew Waterfall
Number 07 SM
Red/black/mud

Gatoratty Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Central Florida
Car #: 3
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I would watch for enclosed trailers that don't appear to be big enough for a car, never seem to drop the ramp or ever seem to have a car parked next to the trailer. My first thought when the report said they didn't take generators or tools was that these thieves were people who were going to actually use these wheels and tires themselves, not sell them. Thieves will steal anything of value to pawn or sell for easy cash....generators and tools are easier to pawn or sell than wheels and tires. They are not stupid...well maybe a little....they will not post these on ebay or craig's list and chance having the cops be the buyer.

--------------------
Paul McLester

RYGAR Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
"The Unethical"

Region: San Francisco
Car #: 29
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for RYGAR     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Man, this is a bummer to read. So disappointing. Any word from the security guard on duty? I'll keep a lookout online like the rest of you guys. I've had my apartment broken into before and things stolen and I wanted to kill someone... Karma's a bitch, and they'll get what's comin' to em.

--------------------
Ryan G. #29
http://www.RentMoneyRacing.com

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dr.Dan     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

That alarm is a good Idea easy to use. You can also use it on the back of your enclosed trailer. Maybe I'll become a dealer.

--------------------

tahoe z Verified Driver
2007 NASA 25hr Champion E2 / 2008 NASA 25 HR E2 2ND place

Region: san francisco
Car #: SFR # 62 1.6/ SMT / 1.8 /# 62 ITA
Year : 89smt / 94 ita
Icon 1 posted  Profile for tahoe z     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

INSIDE JOB!

--------------------
kim willcox

J.D.

Icon 1 posted    Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

So much for Hall & Rampleberg's theory, "west cost".

(chants from a past Runoffs......)

Sorry guys, feel bad for your loss.

FWIW, most of us have gone through it, generators to cars......

Of course that was at a west coast race with Dobson, Fernandez and McCarthy....

http://www.adventurerv.net/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=lock+alarm

found them here.

--------------------

Trent

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Trent   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

So were there enough people there that no one saw any suspicious enclosed trailers where cars didn't get loaded and unloaded? Are the guys at laguna seca looking into it? Was there video surveillance? How easy is it to get into the pits at laguna?

This is just baffling that a theft of this magnitude could happen and no one knows about it. I've seen enough CSIs to know that something fishy is going on if no one "knows" anything.

Also, along this topic- we just got done prototyping/taking data off of a new trailer we specifically designed to haul two Spec Miatas with all of your spare tires LOCKED UP. I'll have its details on our website soon. It just sucks that things like this happen...but we know the feeling- after all, we live near Detroit. So our thoughts are definitely with you guys.

--------------------
http://www.paradigmmotorsports.com

I was the worst hit. That by no means diminishes the others losses. They were in the back of my pretty tall F250. a mere 15 feet from my enclosed trailer, in which I was sleeping. Very soundly, I guess. What I can figur out is there ARE folks walking about, going to the WC and such. but trucks and trailer do come and go, although the "go" part befuddles me. The guard said no one left. But other say, he wasn't even there. He's not really a guard, but supposed to sign people in. sometimes he does and sometimes he doesn't. He has been there before and done a good job of hunting peeps down who roll by w/o signing in. Where, they loaded the tires was about 30 yards from my truck. we think this because we , Actually Ron Cortez of AIM found one of my tires in that spot. so, we surmized that's where they parked the trailer. two more sets were takes from my paddock mates. They were not slepping there. They looked thru some others about 30 yrds. the other direction. Three other sets were taken from two other drivers kind of 90 degrees from where my truck and where we think their trailer was. about 50 yrds. away. The other sets were the farthest from this potential trailer area. At least 100 yrds from it. against the hot pit wall. There is more but I forget. I was slepping in my trailer, Jeremy in his 20 ft to the north of me, A FC driver was in his trailer 20 ft to the west of me and various others very close by. What do you do? I doubt they were still at the track for the weekend. that's A lot of tires to hide. we did search a bit, looking for closed trailers. they could have left , but the guard saw nada. For the conspiracy theorist out there. three of the 5 people that had tires stole were a doctor , a dentist and a Vetinarian. odd? I mean, damm, they had to climb in my truck and carefully lift out TWELVE tires! All the other tires were on the ground. I also lost a jug of gas. All SM tires and wheels. If they did it in P/U's it would take prob three. There will be a 12 ga. in my trailer from now on. "From my cold dead hands"!

--------------------

oem steve

Region: South East
Car #: #92
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for oem steve     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Just a thought but maybe there are some pictures or possibly in car cameras that were rolling by where you think the truck/trailer may have loaded up at. Could be possible if drivers didnt turn off their cameras before they got to their pits. Just need to know the location and look at film to see if what ever was in that area moved out the next day.

--------------------
email: standrewsexpress@bellsouth.net
visit us at http://www.standrewsexpress.com

Under powered and under driven

Randy Thieme

Region: Oregon
Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Randy Thieme     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I still can't see street tuners wanting our wheels, especially since few of them are chromed and many are scratched. 13 sets of wheels is a lot to unload without someone noticing the same few sources always seem to have used wheels for sale. Here's a crazy thought. Is there an overseas racing series similar to our SpecMiata, something where our wheels would be of value? Maybe all 13 sets are in a shipping container in the middle of the Pacific by now.

Greg Bush Verified Driver
Thread Killer

Region: NW/OR
Car #: 04
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Greg Bush     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I have a hand truck in my trailer and it is commonly used to tote tire stacks into my trailer for night time storage.

I have the biggest enclosed trailer and it usually becomes a central storage facility for tires, dogs, and kids.

We often share the track with evening drag racers, so maybe thats what got us in the habit of locking everything up.

Sorry to hear you guys need to do that now too.

Evil Genius

Region: San francisco
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Evil Genius   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

One set was mine. A nice set of 949racing lightweight ITA wheels mounted with Kumhos... John Myers had borrowed the wheels from me, the tires belonged to him... Hell, I got hit and I wasn't even there...

--------------------
John L Pagel
http://www.evilgeniusracing.com
john@evilgeniusracing.com

misterwaterfallin

Region: Northwest
Car #: 07
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for misterwaterfallin     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Randy Thieme:
I still can't see street tuners wanting our wheels, especially since few of them are chromed and many are scratched. 13 sets of wheels is a lot to unload without someone noticing the same few sources always seem to have used wheels for sale. Here's a crazy thought. Is there an overseas racing series similar to our SpecMiata, something where our wheels would be of value? Maybe all 13 sets are in a shipping container in the middle of the Pacific by now.

you dont really see many chromed out rims on the street racers these days

i really doubt we would see them pop up on the web or another forum. Its good to look just in case, but someone that would be able to plan this kind of thing out would be smart enough to not post them up where they could easily be caught

--------------------
-Mathew Waterfall
Number 07 SM
Red/black/mud

Griff W Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Member - Save the green car foundation!

Region: Florida - 11
Car #: 14
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Griff W     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Really sux that this happened... all the more reason I'll be sure to secure everything in the future. East coast, West coast... really doesn't matter I guess, there are cockroaches everywhere it seems.

Fortunately there'll be a lot of eyes watching for these to pop up in the various mainstream classifieds or flea markets; you might get a message out to any aluminum recyclers in the area to be on the lookout for a sudden surge of "bent wheels" too. Nothing would surprise me with the scum who do this kind of stuff. [censored]

--------------------
The best way to make a small fortune in racing is to start out with a big one.

Page 2 of 2 1  2 

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: