Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Spec Miata Archives » Spec Miata 2001-2009 » Anybody here left foot brake?

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Anybody here left foot brake?
Apex to Apex

Region: NASA Mid-West
Car #: 077
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Apex to Apex     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I am looking for some advice. I've been told that I may want to consider left foot braking in the Miata to keep the rpm's in a range where I can get some torque. I am a bit confused on the technique though.

Considering the simplest of corners. A 90 degree right hander following a long straight. What is the sequence to heel/toe, then left foot brake. (i.e. following the brake, clutch-in, blip, shift, what happens next?)

I'm making the move from a C5 Corvette Z06 to a Miata. So going off track, at least at first, should not be a concern. Going from a Miata to a Vette may be more adventuresome and may keep the safety crews busy digging me off the beach if I use the same technique as the Miata, however.

Any advice on the left foot brake sequence?

--------------------
"Driving is a serious business" - John Milner, 'American Graffiti'

davecarama Verified Driver

Region: NE
Year : Blue 1997 & Red 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for davecarama   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Hi A2A

I do, and I am sure many others do.

I would suggest you practice in slow places, like for a stop sign or light, and when people are not around you.

Your left foot is scientiffically proven to weigh 1000x your right foot... joke... you will notice it takes some getting used to regulating the pressures and you will squeel the tires once or twice.

Once you get that down, you could try it on track. I like to use the left foot braking in turns, like you mention, where I want to keep the momentum up. BUT NOT when I am shifting... just too much going on.

VIR South Bend, Summit Point Turn 10. Turns where you want to set your front end and turn in and get right back on the gas. If you left foot brake, you can go in full throttle, left foor brake (while right foot is still full throttle), and use the release of the brake as though you were accelerating (less brakes = moving faster). It is dicey, and it is spooky, and it is a pucker factor of 10+, but when done properly... It just feels so good! When done wrong... you crash [Wink]

Good luck!

Dave

Drago Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: mid south
Car #: 2
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I think that was a great explanation Dave and about how I feel. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com
2006-2007 Mid-West Division
07,09 June Sprints Champion

EAST STREET RACING

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I don't have the finesse with the left foot yet. My brain is programmed to jam it to the floor. [Eek!]

I've been trying left foot braking on the pace lap to warm up the tires via the brakes and be in a good torque range when the green comes out. It might help me warm up the tires but my starts still suck. With all the accordion action going on I always seem to be in the wrong gear or in the middle of shifting to the right one. It's almost like the guys in the starting tower can see my tach and have a mean streak.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

guest driver

Region: 011
Car #: 47
Year : 94
Icon 1 posted  Profile for guest driver     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

2XApex ;
some questions ;
are you 16-21 years old ?
are you willing to tear up some synchros ?
are you ready to vacuum sand/dirt/rocks out your car for the next year or so ?

if you answered NO to any of the above three questions ...
Fuhgetahboutit
[Smile]
left foot braking is for kids (16-21) ... who grew up racing karts ... then sequentials in formula cars. They have no clue how to properly brake/downshift (toe & heel ).
not worth the hundreths you 'may' gain in lap time ... not worth the $$$, time and effort you will spend fixin stuff you will break.
Anybody that tells you they truly "left foot brake" is full of crapola ... or a bona fide superstar driver ala Drago [Razz]
work on your normal techniques, lines, hitting apexes, car set up ...
and fuhgetahbout all this fancy stuff ...
just tell those left foot aces ;
" why you brake anyway ... it'll only slow you down " ...
[Wink] [burst]

Drago Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: mid south
Car #: 2
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

lol.. I use it most on really high speed corners when I know I should WOT and the signal seems to stop between brain and right foot... using the left foot to cover the brake seems to complete the connection from brain to right foot somehow? [Big Grin] [burst]

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com
2006-2007 Mid-West Division
07,09 June Sprints Champion

EAST STREET RACING

guest driver

Icon 1 posted  Profile for guest driver     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

like at Homestead, T-1 ?
i keep tellin ya ... FLAT ! no lift, no breathe, no brake, left foot or otherwise [Smash]
the chipster would gap you a car length there every time [banghead]
left foot is for clutch only or the dead pedal ... right foot stays planted ... kapish ?
[Smile]

guest driver

i normally charge good money for this sage advice
[duck]
check out my former pupils ... Andrew Carbonell, Josh Hurley , etc.
only problem with those ace young guns is that they "got it" the first time, don't need me no more.
[Smile]

Apex to Apex

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Apex to Apex     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

If I am hearing correctly, it does not apply to corners when heel/toe shifting is involved.

I know that left foot braking applies to fast corners.

An I am 44. And I know the left foot weighs more [Smile]

True, I need to work on line first, clipping apexes, etc first. Before farting around with anything else, I need to be consistent. At least a few tenths from lap to lap. Even before I start to mod the car.

Thanks fellas!

--------------------

Vick Verified Driver
Do they sell spec training wheels?

Region: NYR
Car #: 12
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Vick     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Does anyone else tap the brake a bit with their left foot to make sure pads haven't knocked back? If my pads are running low and I hit some aggressive curbs I give them a light double tap in the next straight, kind of a "hey, everyone awake down there? time to get to work!"

--------------------
http://www.volko.com

Gibscreen Verified Driver Series Champ

Region: NASA-SoCal
Car #: 23
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gibscreen   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Keith in WA:
I've been trying left foot braking on the pace lap to warm up the tires via the brakes and be in a good torque range when the green comes out.

I tried this on the start of my 2nd race ever. Got an awesome jump, and then when it came time to upshift, I jammed my left foot down on the pedal to declutch. I felt a huge shudder and the car slowed abruptly--I thought I had just blown the tranny until I realized that I hadn't moved my left foot over to the clutch pedal--I had kept my foot over the brake pedal and locked up the brakes! Luckily I was at the back of the pack and nothing bad happened. A classic case of getting too cute WAY too soon. Lesson learned.

Since then I've used left foot braking on select corners, but never at the start. Oddly enough I tend to get really good jumps on starts without left foot braking.

--------------------
Rob Gibson
RJ Racing
2010 NASA Nationals TTE Champion
2008/2009 WERC Champion
2007 NASA SoCal SM Champion
rjracing.net
Weekend-Racer.com

d mathias Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: OVR
Icon 1 posted  Profile for d mathias     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

"The only thing dumber than your right foot is your left foot." -Randy Pobst

Randy Thieme

Region: Oregon
Car #: 51
Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Randy Thieme     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Keith in WA:
It's almost like the guys in the starting tower can see my tach and have a mean streak.

Keith, we forgot to tell you we put a transmitter in your car. The tower knows your RPM and gear selection. [Eek!]

38BFAST Verified Driver

Region: Waterford Hills
Car #: 38
Year : 96
Icon 1 posted  Profile for 38BFAST     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by d mathias:
"The only thing dumber than your right foot is your left foot." -Randy Pobst

[rolling on floor laughin] [rolling on floor laughin] [rolling on floor laughin]

So true

--------------------
Ralph Provitz
2008 WHRRI SM Champion
2008 WHRRI Top 10 Overall
V2 Motorsports, Race support, Data Dude

guest driver

ask the jedi master how much time he shaves in the Koni ST Honda with " select left foot braking" ...
ZERO
for real, ask him ...
spec miatas ... or any low h.p. car ; left foot is for the clutch [Smash]
right foot is for throttle ... and ...
unless you wear friggen cowboy boots when you race a stock car ... toes (or ball of your foot) are for the brake pedal, not your heel.

Apex squared : tip from black magic bag ;
in a test day/track day, take off your right racing shoe ... with only nomex socks on, run a full session. Learn to 'feel' that brake pedal, pulse, modulate, etc, with your toes.
Try this for a session or two, you will greatly improve your 'thresh hold' braking / trail brake
skills ... and you will never flat spot a tire again, (not just a Toyo but a Hoosier )...
and you will learn to get your toes off that damn brake pedal quickly back onto the throttle, which is where you really make time.
[Smile]
just sayin ...

John the Impaler Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Finger Lakes
Icon 1 posted  Profile for John the Impaler     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Don't usually left-foot-brake in the dry.

Do usually left-foot-brake in the wet.

Don't know why, really. Probably due to spending winters racing on big, frozen lakes.

LFB won't preserve revs....you still enter the corner at the same speed & rpm, but you'll make quicker transition from gas to brake, and you'll keep the air charge moving in the intake tract, which the dyno wizzards say is huge.

YMMV. Experiment at your own risk. No user servicable part inside. Contact qualified personnel for service. Do not bend, spindle or mutilate. Pant first, then shoes.

guest driver

" pant first, then shoes "
no ... always [butthead] end first ... saves your front cap/radiator, front frame rails, etc etc.
[Big Grin]

seege Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: NASA So Cal
Year : Thinking on that.... ok done 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for seege     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Turn 4-5 at California Speedway, left foot brake everytime. Not a Jedi... just a backmarker.

--------------------
-CJ Johnson

Nigel Stu Verified Driver

Region: Detroit
Car #: 66
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Nigel Stu   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Selective left foot braking, only when no shifting is needed but speeds are too high to make the corner without slowing a bit. And generally only for minor speed reductions (up to 10 mph delta). Some corners the right foot stays down, others a partial or full lift. This does add more brake wear.

Practice practice practice. And not during a race weekend. Use data acquisition so you know when you are consistently braking the same amount/effort with left and right foot for the same corner.

I started with left foot braking on the street when coming up to stop signs on slow roads (automatic car, obviously) to get the modulation needed for a smooth stop. Gradually increased speeds to learn the initial bite. Then took those skills to the track. My left foot is now as sensitive/controlled/smart(or dumb?) as my right. And I never raced karts. [flamed]

In a race adds a whole new dimension. You need to get to the point where you can do LFB subconsciously. Otherwise you miss other stuff, like the apex, or brake point... (which is why you should practice in non-race situation). Its second nature for me and I have to now really think about which corners I use LFB on. And I've even stopped hitting the wrong pedal. (accidentally hitting the brake is WAY better than accidentally hitting the clutch...)

Have fun out there!
[cheerful]

--------------------
Ben Schaut
Schaut Speed Motorsports
GLDiv / WHRRI
#66 Blue/White/Black

Scottie

Region: WDCR
Car #: sm 19
Year : 93
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Scottie     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Apex to Apex, you asked a question I always wondered.

Ya see, I come from the world of front wheel drive. This is a terrible place to be, a "No-Fun" zone, if you will. I dont recommend you visit.

However, From the numerous auto-x's and track days I have done with front wheel drive, left foot braking was always a help. Now that my miata is coming to completion i have been wondering about the LFB in a miata. I would have to say I agree with most people on this. Maybe some LFB on fast sweepers where you only want to scrub a little bit of speed, or to set the nose of the car and maybe get a little rotation of the rear. just my inexperienced 2 cents.

--------------------
How do I fit this ls7 into my mia... nevermind.

cboehly Verified Driver

Region: FLR
Car #: 78
Icon 1 posted  Profile for cboehly     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

LFB turn 1 @ Mid-Ohio and Nelson for the same reason as Impaler and Nigel Stu mentioned. Interestingly, turn 11 at the Glen, my home track, still don't feel comfortable LFB. That wall is a bit too close. :-0

--------------------
Charlie Boehly

Dusty Bottoms Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
99 all the way!

Region: Lone Star
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dusty Bottoms     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I LFB at the start and also in "autocross" sections of the track for quick transitions where footwork can really help you transfer car weight properly and get it rotated quickly and back on the throttle ASAP.

Back when I had the Ford Explorer, I accidentally LFB'ed when I forgot I was in an automatic transmission car and not my Integra thinking I was pressing the clutch in...talk about scaring the crap out of myself, my passengers, and those behind me.

--------------------
"Your victory is tainted! Asterisk! Asterisk!!!"--Lisa Simpson

Apex to Apex

All wonderful stuff guys. Thanks! All great stuff that I'll digest and see what applies to me.

As somone in another thread said, sometimes you mod the car and it feels horrible, yet your times decrease.

Right now I need seat time. I've had this year off volunteering with NASA to read some driving/car setup books and do W-A-Y too much thinking. I need seat time!

Right now I need to get back on the track and show some consistency, within a few tenths, from lap to lap.

Gawd, is this stuff fun or what?!!

--------------------

Apex to Apex

Part of what I'm learning is that you need to remain a student. No matter how long you've been doing this.

--------------------

guest driver

quote:
Originally posted by Apex to Apex:
Part of what I'm learning is that you need to remain a student. No matter how long you've been doing this.

true dat ...
you just reminded me to shuddup and observe, listen and learn myself a new thing or two, no matter how many times one has been around the block.
[thumbsup]

G. Davis Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: WDC
Car #: 03
Icon 1 posted  Profile for G. Davis     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Vick:
Does anyone else tap the brake a bit with their left foot to make sure pads haven't knocked back? If my pads are running low and I hit some aggressive curbs I give them a light double tap in the next straight, kind of a "hey, everyone awake down there? time to get to work!"

I do when I have ridden the rumble strip at Summit T10. I learned my lesson earlier this year when I ended up headinf for the skid pad instead of T2 [Eek!]

--------------------
--------------------

Glenn Davis

Sean Allen Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: SFR
Car #: 54!
Year : 90'
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Sean Allen   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

yup. just not when i need to shift.

CP Verified Driver

Region: NER
Car #: 7
Icon 1 posted  Profile for CP   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I use it through Big Bend at Lime Rock as a band-aid for understeer issues.

--------------------
-Cy
Supported by LTD Racing & Speed Shack - New England's Premier Auto Accessory Store
Rt1 AutoMile - Norwood, MA
http://www.speedshackonline.com

Steve Sturm Verified Driver

Car #: 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Steve Sturm     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by G. Davis:
quote:

I do when I have ridden the rumble strip at Summit T10. I learned my lesson earlier this year when I ended up headinf for the skid pad instead of T2 [Eek!]
Ditto....Ditto

Qik Nip Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Loose Member '09 & '10 Great Lakes Regional Points Champion

Region: Cincinnati Great Lakes
Car #: 60
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Qik Nip     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Like others I tried left footing early on (in fast sweepers like T1 at Mid Ohio). But I soon concluded that what I needed to learn was to enter them faster - versus worrying about keeping the fuel air ratio optimized by keeping the engine at WOT. I never went back.

Having said that, the best shoe I know (multiple track records in ST2), does so constantly)
Rick
P.S. I grew up racing go karts!

--------------------
Fortune Cookie Racing SM 60
Directions for use: Race, Rumple, Repair ... Repeat!

Kevin Marriner

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kevin Marriner   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

You could go the full distance and left foot brake with clutchless shifting, watch this video of Greg Murphy doing it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azpqTZ6WeJk

pkeane Verified Driver

Region: CFR
Car #: 22
Icon 1 posted  Profile for pkeane     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Real men left hand brake!

--------------------
Peter Keane
CRB
keane575@cfl.rr.com

Joe Benton Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Car #: 37
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Joe Benton     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
quote:

Glenn,

Explain to me what the t-10 rumble strips do to the pads. I don't get it.

--------------------
Joe Benton
King Rat Motorsports
PBC Automotive

Steven Holloway Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Blue Eyes, Aquarius, hates being squeezed to the grass in SowDiv!

Region: Lonestar
Car #: 97
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Steven Holloway     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Kevin Marriner:
You could go the full distance and left foot brake with clutchless shifting, watch this video of Greg Murphy doing it:

I'd like to see Greg try that in a legally prepped SM....

--------------------
If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's got electrical problems.

CP Verified Driver

Region: NER
Car #: 7
Icon 1 posted  Profile for CP   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Putting the car onto rumble strips can sometimes "knock back" the pads on that side of the car from the surface of the rotor. So when you go for the brakes in the next braking zone, you have one of those "oh shit" moments.

I've experienced it a few times this season. Check out this video to see it in action. The knockback occurs at 2:21 followed by a "moment" at 2:40 at the end of the front straight braking into Big Bend. After that you can see my left leg/foot tapping the brakes before braking zones to make sure I had a good pedal.

--------------------
-Cy
Supported by LTD Racing & Speed Shack - New England's Premier Auto Accessory Store
Rt1 AutoMile - Norwood, MA
http://www.speedshackonline.com

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Joe Benton     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by CP:
Putting the car onto rumble strips can sometimes "knock back" the pads on that side of the car from the surface of the rotor. So when you go for the brakes in the next braking zone, you have one of those "oh shit" moments.

I've experienced it a few times this season. Check out this video to see it in action. The knockback occurs at 2:21 followed by a "moment" at 2:40 at the end of the front straight braking into Big Bend. After that you can see my left leg/foot tapping the brakes before braking zones to make sure I had a good pedal.

Thank you Cy.

--------------------
Joe Benton
King Rat Motorsports
PBC Automotive

Kevin Marriner

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kevin Marriner   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Steven Holloway:
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin Marriner:

I'd like to see Greg try that in a legally prepped SM....
Shifting without the clutch isn't hard in a miata, it is a lot easier than my jetta infact.

Steve Sturm Verified Driver

Car #: 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Steve Sturm     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Joe Benton:
quote:
quote:

Glenn,

Explain to me what the t-10 rumble strips do to the pads. I don't get it.

here, unfortunately, is an example

Gatoratty Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Central Florida
Car #: 3
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Priceless! A video is worth a thousand words!

--------------------
Paul McLester

what did the brake pedal feel like steve?

--------------------
Joe Benton
King Rat Motorsports
PBC Automotive

GraemeD

Icon 1 posted  Profile for GraemeD     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

This is some of the best "Footage" I have ever seen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbU4GZkt7ig

--------------------
Graeme
Golden, CO

Danny Steyn Verified Driver

Region: SE
Car #: 39
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Danny Steyn   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

^^ Awesome

--------------------
Danny
http://www.dannysteyn.com
http://www.adeptstudios.com
OPM Autosports | Traqmate | Rossini Racing Engines
2010 June Sprints Champ, 2010 ARRC SMX Champ
2009 SARRC Champ, 2009 SEDiv ECR Champ, 2009 FES Champ
2008 SEDiv ECR Champ

Gatoratty Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Central Florida
Car #: 3
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

From the same source

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMEqOGejlrw&feature=fvw

--------------------
Paul McLester

Dusty Bottoms Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
99 all the way!

Region: Lone Star
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dusty Bottoms     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by GraemeD:
This is some of the best "Footage" I have ever seen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbU4GZkt7ig

awesome, except for the porno music. [rolling on floor laughin]

--------------------
"Your victory is tainted! Asterisk! Asterisk!!!"--Lisa Simpson

Apex to Apex

quote:
here, unfortunately, is an example [/QB]
Now I understand why people left foot press their brake pedal a few times a few hundred feet before the first brake marker. I've seen onboard video fo that and wondered why they were doing that. I thought it was to get the pressure up. Now I know its to make sure that you have brakes, before you need them.

You guys rock!

--------------------

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I've heard but can't confirm that some drivers will also do that intentionally in an attempt to fake out drivers beind them and get the following driver to brake early so that they don't collect the driver in front.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: