Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Spec Miata Archives » Spec Miata 2001-2009 » GRM Miata Milestones

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: GRM Miata Milestones
Ken Grammer
Mentally Challenged

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Ken Grammer   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I just received my December issue of GRM and I enjoyed reading the "Miata Milestones" article. I know whenever anyone creates a "most significant" list like this that it is easy to point out things that were missed. But I really feel two significant milestones were overlooked.

The first is the original 2002 season of special pro support races that were created on the west coast. The 50+ car fields that ran as support events for series like Champ Car proved the appeal of the car as a significant supporting class for professional weekends, and ultimately led to the creation of the SCCA Pro Miata Cup series in 2003.

And of course it is the SCCA Pro Miata Cup series that that I feel is the second significant milestone they overlooked. Remember this was in 2003, three years before Mazda's ladder system would be introduced, at a time when there weren't many low-cost steps between club racing and World Challenge/IMSA/Grand-Am. The series also had significant impact on the development of the club racing rules and it laid the foundation for MX-5 Cup series.

There were some great teams and drivers that came through Pro Miata Cup on their way into Grand-Am and World Challenge, including guys like Tom Long, Chip Herr, Jason Saini and Christian Miller (who just won the Koni ST Championship).

So while I think those two events deserved to be included as significant milestones, I wouldn't be surprised if others didn't also have a list of overlooked milestones!

--------------------
Ken Grammer

JIM DANIELS

Icon 1 posted    Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Maybe the 2001, 2002 PSM series that Shannon and I did, SCCA took it over in 21003. Many call it the "birth".

Not that it was overlooked.....

Ken Grammer
Mentally Challenged

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Ken Grammer   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Good point Jim! I joined SCCA Pro in October of 2002 so the earlier PSM pre-dates my involvement. I wasn't sure of the exact who/when/where. My point is as you suggest, I think that very first all-Miata pro support event was a pretty significant milestone, as was crowning the first SCCA Pro Miata Cup champion.

I would have liked to have seen those two events make the list! [Smile]

--------------------
Ken Grammer

JIM DANIELS

Icon 1 posted    Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Yeah, Mazda ran full page ads for it in GRM, we had some good drivers and capped it off with the big show at laguna, it paid some real cash too. Two time Miata Runoffs winner, Randy Sauicer took the title. That was the year I spammed every RE in the nation with all those broadcast fax pumping SM. A story needs to be properly written. Many folks worth mentioning. As things went I ended up with MX5.COM url. Maybe it will have a home one day.

pat slattery Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: cincy
Car #: 79
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for pat slattery     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Jim why couldn't we have another Pro SM series like in the past?

Pat

--------------------
keeping the faith for the 1.6

Arrow Karts

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: