Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Spec Miata Archives » Spec Miata 2001-2009 » At track standardization anyone?

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: At track standardization anyone?
Qik Nip Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Loose Member '09 & '10 Great Lakes Regional Points Champion

Region: Cincinnati Great Lakes
Car #: 60
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Qik Nip     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Since it's the silly season, I thought I'd offer a mild rant about the lack of standardization in the at track SCCA registration and tech process.

I race primarily in the Great Lakes SCCA Division. Depending on the hosting region, I either need to carry every piece of safety gear and log book to tech, or (in another region), my helmet and log book only. In some events, I can register and immediately present my log book and helmet and be on my way sticker in hand. Elsewhere it's "register over there beginning at 3:00 and wait until 6:00 PM and go to tech in some other location".

In one GL region, the entire field is impounded for thirty minutes after the event, (even if all drivers state they are not protesting), while everywhere else it's the top three only.

It strikes me that in today's world of standardized procedures, the SCCA needs a one size fits all at-track approach.
Rick
P.S. NASA has this one right.

--------------------
Fortune Cookie Racing SM 60
Directions for use: Race, Rumple, Repair ... Repeat!

wheel Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: kc
Car #: 20
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for wheel     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Some of it depends on manpower at individual events. Some tech folks open up when and where registration does. Sometimes the tech guys can't get there until late, due to work schedules. In the Midiv, you get an annual sticker for your helmet, and have your suit checked, when you do the vehicle annual. From then on, all you have to show at Tech is your log book, no gear at all.
This seems to work pretty well. The grid marshals then check to make sure you have a sticker on your helmet, and that you are not wearing a Tshirt and shorts, which is the only time it really matters, anyway.
Impound is a matter of choice for the Chief Steward.
wheel

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

With SCCA, aside from my annual I've never had anything inspected at tech except my helmet. It must be spotty though...

One day sitting in pre-grid inside the 5 to go warning an official walked up to the car next to me and said something to the driver. There was much frenzied hand waving by the driver and a shrug from the official. He jumps out of his car, leaps over the wall and goes sprinting into the paddock area. At about the 1 min to go mark he hops back in his car and starts frantically putting his belts back on.

I asked him about it after the race... They made him change his socks.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Randy Thieme

Region: Oregon
Car #: 51
Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Randy Thieme     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Keith in WA:
With SCCA, aside from my annual I've never had anything inspected at tech except my helmet. It must be spotty though...

One day sitting in pre-grid inside the 5 to go warning an official walked up to the car next to me and said something to the driver. There was much frenzied hand waving by the driver and a shrug from the official. He jumps out of his car, leaps over the wall and goes sprinting into the paddock area. At about the 1 min to go mark he hops back in his car and starts frantically putting his belts back on.

How did they ever know his socks weren't up to par? (Maybe one of the grid-girls complained about a bad smell. [rolling on floor laughin] )

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Beats me. Matt tucks the cuffs of his suit into his socks so maybe they saw the sweat socks in the previous impound? I don't remember if it was a double weekend or it could have been ITA but I'm pretty sure we'd raced before that weekend.

Why the heck would they wait until pregrid and then radio the grid-girl to check his socks? He may have told me the rest of the story but I was so flabergasted at the time I don't remember it now.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

misterwaterfallin

Region: Northwest
Car #: 07
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for misterwaterfallin     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Keith in WA:

Yea that was fun. At the 5 they made me go change my socks. I guess I suited up with everything but my socks, and I usually have my suit going all the way to the shoes, so it wasn't noticeable to anyone around the paddock. The guy said he saw skin and asked me, thats what I thought about it and went o [censored] and had to take a nice little run back to the trailer

--------------------
-Mathew Waterfall
Number 07 SM
Red/black/mud

Dave Gomberg

Region: WDC
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dave Gomberg     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Unfortunately, some tech crews haven't caught up with the changes that were made for 2009 regarding driver safety equipment. After the driver gear has been inspected at the beginning of the season, there is no GCR requirement that it be seen again. You should be able to register, go to tech with your logbook and (unless there is a notation in the logbook from a previous event) get you tech sticker. If you run into this problem, refer them to 5.9.2.B. The actual procedures for checking safety gear is in 9.3.20.

Dave

John Nesbitt

Region: WDCR, NCR
Icon 1 posted  Profile for John Nesbitt     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Gomberg:
Unfortunately, some tech crews haven't caught up with the changes that were made for 2009 regarding driver safety equipment. After the driver gear has been inspected at the beginning of the season, there is no GCR requirement that it be seen again. You should be able to register, go to tech with your logbook and (unless there is a notation in the logbook from a previous event) get you tech sticker. If you run into this problem, refer them to 5.9.2.B. The actual procedures for checking safety gear is in 9.3.20.

Dave

Dave,

The problem is that some regions put 'bring your helmet to Tech' language in their supps, so it is enforceable.

The National Office could end this practice by reading the draft supps submitted with sanction requests, and not permit this sort of language in them.

John

Dave Gomberg

Region: WDC
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dave Gomberg     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

John:

What you say is true, but in most cases that language is in the supps because it was a reminder of what WAS in the GCR and they haven't taken it out (either laziness or ignorance of the change). Where this is still being done, I suggest that competitors point out 5.9.2.B to their region race officials and get them to remove the requirement from the supps.

Dave

wheel Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: kc
Car #: 20
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for wheel     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Dave is correct. Sometimes understaffed, the teams putting the events together just change the dates, sanction numbers, etc. and get the show on the road. I am sure, if you point out the problem, they will be happy to amend the supps.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: