Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Spec Miata Archives » Spec Miata 2001-2009 » It's not the Pro Motors, or the parity between years.... (Page 1)

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic
Page 1 of 2 1  2  next » 

Author Topic: It's not the Pro Motors, or the parity between years....
Gatoratty Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Central Florida
Car #: 3
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

It's not the Pro Motors, or the parity between years...that are going to cause people to leave the class. [nope]

It is the amount of wrecks and damage to the cars that will make people finally get tired of the time, money, and effort it takes to keep rebuilding your car due to aggressive driving and bonehead moves. [Mad]

I just finished watching the latest wreckfest video from Sebring combined with spending the last month having my car straightened on the frame machine, replacing both front fenders, front suspension, and painting the front of the car. It made me think back over the year regarding the number of wreck videos and stories I have read on this site. Summit Point, Sebring, Daytona, Roebling, SIC, ARRC, June Sprints it doesn't matter ....seems like there were major wrecks every race. We are Spec Pinata or "those crazy bastards" to the other drivers.

The CRB and SMAC have spent a lot of time looking at parity and cheater motors, but the real problem is going to be when people get tired of putting their money and sweat into their car only to be wrecked. [shame]

We as a class and the SCCA as an organization have to recognize that the metal to metal contact has to stop! Drivers need to give racing room and remember that this is a hobby.... [soapbox] [twocents]

[ 12-04-2009, 07:15 AM: Message edited by: Gatoratty ]

--------------------
Paul McLester

Jay Stroud

Region: Atlanta
Car #: #7
Year : 1996
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jay Stroud   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Paul brings up a good point. I came over to SM from open wheel for cost containment and the size of the fields. Although I miss driving open wheel, after 3 years I still feel I made the right decision. I've learned a lot and met a lot of extremely helpful people and talented drivers along the way. I love the car and the class and will continue to stay in it for many years to come.

I have also seen and followed some very exceptional drivers in the class, however, I have seen even more boneheaded moves over bragging rights or for a plastic trophy. One thing open wheel racing breeds is pride in the ability to overtake CLEANLY. This requires exceptional skill, patience, and boldness. When you pass someone this way, you're pumped because you out drove the other guy...you earned it. Nothing is wrong with aggressiveness, but leaning hard on someone to make a move doesn't make you a better driver. Actually to the skilled, it makes you a lesser one. I'm mean...isn't that one of the primary reasons we all have to carry onboard video! ;-)

However, I don't want to put all the blame on the driver b/c whatever the sanctioning body tolerates will exist. One thing I have noticed is the stark difference between NASA and SCCA. From my experience, NASA takes contact seriously and enforces it fairly strictly. SCCA talks a big game but does very little to back it up. I'm not bashing anyone, just stating the truth...at least from my experience in the SE region (which is all I can speak for). I'm a member of both, support them both (their similarities and differences) and consistently volunteer as a PDX instructor for SCCA and am hoping to do some HPDE instruction with NASA next season. However, with my experience in NASA (which is far less than in SCCA), I can say that I appreciate the respect the SM drivers give to one another. In SCCA, there is a sigh of relief if you make it to the checker with no damage (major or minor).

I remember an SCCA race at Road Atlanta last year. At the driver's meeting it was stressed "there will be no bump drafting". Green flag flies, first lap, they're bump drafting on the front stretch in front of everyone. What a joke. If it's tolerated, we're going to do it. But it'd be nice to see a little enforcement on the blatant stuff as I know there are sometimes when contact can't be avoided.

I personally do know others who will not move to SM for this reason or that will co-drive/rent with me in NASA but not in SCCA. But then again, if we weren't called "Wreck Miata", then the "Spec Wrecker Fords" would be the only class being made fun of for this!

d mathias Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: OVR
Car #: 88
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for d mathias     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I could not have said it better Paul. This has been on my mind lately (probably because I've been straightening my car the last few weekends to get ready for 2010). If I have another year like '09, when I was run into in 3 of the 6 events I attended... well, I don't know how much more 'fun' I can stand.

The SCCA in particular does not seem to be in the enforcement business anymore.

-Denny

38BFAST Verified Driver

Region: Waterford Hills
Car #: 38
Year : 96
Icon 1 posted  Profile for 38BFAST     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Paul, Spot on!
We have worked very hard at our local track to clean things up. From 2008 to 2009 we have see great improvment. It did take RFAs to clean things up.

Key is to get the Chief Stewart on board with the objective to clean things up.

I know MTM is going to happen. My issue is the guy that has it every race and it's never his fault.

--------------------
Ralph Provitz
2008 WHRRI SM Champion
2008 WHRRI Top 10 Overall
V2 Motorsports, Race support, Data Dude

disquek Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: New England
Car #: 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for disquek     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

FWIW: Uncontrolled contact from a limited number of bonehead drivers is 100% of the reason I quit SM.

Moving to a class (GTL) and a series (only nationals) that compels you and you colleagues to behave themselves on track has been wonderful.

Sure, the car requires more maintenance and engineering, but I'd rather build a better exhaust than replace a quarter panel any day.

For a long time I bought the argument that the onus was on the drivers to throw paper and police ourselves (drivers = police, stewards = judges). But after doing it and seeing it done and NEVER seeing justice served even once, I discovered that we're all on our own. The stewards aren't going to help.

The solution (for me) was to find a run group where the people cared about their cars and their behavior.

In WDCR Jim did a good job of making it personal when someone misbehaved. This was/is effective. If push came to shove, and someone challenged him, I'm not sure what would have happened (inside the track anyway). But it worked (much) better than nothing.

My suggestion to the SM community is make it personal. It will be a VERY tough uphill road. It will REQUIRE you to endure the unpleasantness of direct face-to-face conflict every weekend.

You will need to organize as a group of concerned drivers and that group will need to confront the offending driver directly. It will not be fun and it will not always end well. But it's the only system I've ever seen work.

I race for fun. That kind of stress is not a part of why I come to the track. So it's why I left SM. HUGE props to Jim for what he went through to make SSM better. He's a better man than me.

-Kyle

Jeff Longo Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: NER
Car #: 46
Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jeff Longo     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Good posts by all. This seems to be an issue in many regions.

As Kyle we need to "organize as a group"...

In car video can provide a compelling argument if needed for the stewards to review.

Let's see how/if it works in 2010.

--------------------
LTD Racing
Chief Of Inappropriate Comments

Eric Barbaric Verified Driver

Region: Kansas City
Car #: 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Eric Barbaric   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Yeah Paul, just drive faster.

And if you have to bend a fender (yours, someone elses, or both) on your way to the upper front third of the grid, so be it.

Seriously, though... Jim is right about nothing gonna happen til paper flies.

In COMMA, track officials will call a drivers meeting and scold us if things get rough.

Gatoratty Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Central Florida
Car #: 3
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Jim

I have been around long enough to remember working the 76 ball at Talledega with a head set on calling metal to metal. The drivers were called to the stewards office and dealt with. Same when I worked the runoffs at Road Atlanta. The SCCA can and should do something to police the drivers. They have no problem doing it in the SCCA Pro series and it seems like NASA and conference series have no problem doing it. Interesting that one of my friends who was at the Sebring race complained of being bumped and pushed by "front 1/3" drivers" who were starting from the back.

By the way.....how many cars do I have to go thru while I work my way to the front 1/3? I guess Steyn (SIC), Munson (SIC), Tucker (Sebring), and the guys at the front at Summit who all have been wrecked this season are exceptions to your statement?

--------------------
Paul McLester

Icon 1 posted  Profile for d mathias     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
You want the best answer for avoiding contact? It is a simple one, elevate yourself to upper third of the grid, probably upper 1/4.It can and usually is very rough in mid pack area. I went the entire year with zero damage by any SM, not a scratch.
Seriously?!? This is your solution? Even if everyone gets faster and is within a couple 1/100s of each other's times there will still be a mid-pack.

I've filed protests only to be told "It was a racing incident". Besides, I've been told protesting is for whiners.

Jim Creighton

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jim Creighton     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Paul, excellent point. The first year of SM as a National class, the SEDiv appointed Toni to be the SM operating Steward. At the first National at Sebring, she kept the entire field in impound until after 9 PM while she handed out all the penalties for bump drafting and contact. She had warned everyone prior to the race that if there was contact ( bump drafting is contact), this is the way it would be handled. There were a lot of unhappy drivers who had to stay while everything was handled.

However, the very next weekend at the Morosso National, not one single penalty was handed out because no one touched. The word spread quickly that it would not be tolerated.

I would suggest that those of you who are tired of this constant disregard for your property contact the new SEDiv Executive Steward, Bob Horansky, and tell him you are fed up with the operating Stewards disregarding the GCR.

6.8. RULES OF THE ROAD
6.8.1. On Course Driver Conduct
A. It is the responsibility of all drivers to avoid physical contact
between cars on the race track.
B. All competitors have a right to “racing room” on the marked racing
surface. “Racing room” shall be generally defined as sufficient
space on the marked racing surface so as to allow a competitor
to maintain control of his car in close quarters, under racing conditions.
C. It shall be incumbent on all drivers to preserve the right of his fellow
competitors to racing room on the race track.
6. Racing Rules and Procedures
Abrupt changes in General direction so as to impede or affect the path of a car attempting to
overtake or pass may be interpreted by Officials as an attempt to deprive a fellow competitor of his right to racing room.
D. The responsibility for the decision to pass another car and to accomplish it safely rests with the overtaking driver. The overtaken driver
has the responsibility to be aware that he or she is being overtaken and not to impede the overtaking car. The overtaken driver shall
not block. Any driver who fails to make use of the rear view mirror,
or who appears to be blocking another car seeking a pass, may be
black flagged and/or penalized. (See 7, Penalties)

There is a Stewards meeting at the Jekyll Island meeting in Feb and it would be a good subject for Bob to discuss. In addition, perhaps he might take a few minutes to come into the SM meeting and listen to your concerns.

--------------------
Jim Creighton
SARRC Administrator

Qik Nip Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Loose Member '09 & '10 Great Lakes Regional Points Champion

Region: Cincinnati Great Lakes
Car #: 60
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Qik Nip     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Drago:
It is a simple one, elevate yourself to upper third of the grid, probably upper 1/4.It can and usually is very rough in mid pack area. I went the entire year with zero damage by any SM, not a scratch. The only damage I got was from an ITA driver in a pro IT and it wasn't terrible.Jim
Jim [/QB]

Jim:
I wholeheartedly agree that the closer to the pointy end, the fewer bone head moves one has to endure. My one serious contact this year came while running first in a 26 car field. The guy who punted me in lap six (unsuccessfully), took me (and P2)out in the white flag lap. I protested and it was ruled a racing incident. We've had this thread before. Hereabouts SCCA stewards are becoming notorious about not enforcing this issue. Just my HO.
Rick

--------------------
Fortune Cookie Racing SM 60
Directions for use: Race, Rumple, Repair ... Repeat!

Cajun Miata Man Verified Driver
Overdog Driver

Region: Houston; SWDIV
Car #: 15
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Cajun Miata Man     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Qik Nip:
quote:
It is a simple one, elevate yourself to upper third of the grid, probably upper 1/4.It can and usually is very rough in mid pack area. I went the entire year with zero damage by any SM, not a scratch. The only damage I got was from an ITA driver in a pro IT and it wasn't terrible.Jim
Jim

Jim:
I wholeheartedly agree that the closer to the pointy end, the fewer bone head moves one has to endure. My one serious contact this year came while running first in a 26 car field. The guy who punted me in lap six (unsuccessfully), took me (and P2)out in the white flag lap. I protested and it was ruled a racing incident. We've had this thread before. Hereabouts SCCA stewards are becoming notorious about not enforcing this issue. Just my HO.
Rick[/QB]

This would be a case that if you really felt it was not a racing incident as the stewards ruled, you could have appealed to Topeka.

--------------------
James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA
powered by:
East Street Racing, Memphis TN
set up guru:
Gilfus Racing, Austin TX

Dennis Brown Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Indy
Car #: 55
Year : 94
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dennis Brown     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I agree with Jim. It was the same when I raced motorcycles. The guys upfront are predictable and are very seldom driving over their head. If they do loose it they exit the track so fast that you are clear.

I am tired of racing with other classes, that is where I had all my issues. I am also tired of fixing my car and will not race in races that have different types of cars anymore unless I get something with a bigger bumper like a Mazda 3.

Dennis

Jim D., returning to Paul initial assertion, the health of this class depends on cleaning up the on-track conduct. There will always be a mid-pack. Are we only concerned with the top 25%? If everyone else gives up and leaves the class then you can average 6-8 starters per race and position 3 through 7 will be mid-pack. Perhaps if the SCCA sees this as a problem that limits participation they may then act.

Lance Snyder Made Donation to Website
Administrator

Region: Atlanta
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Lance Snyder     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Drivers talking(not shouting, insulting, cursing, etc) with drivers (without wrasslin) more often would be a good place to start.

--------------------
All this has happened before, and will happen again

Jim Blaisdell

Region: 83
Car #: 65
Year : 1994
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jim Blaisdell     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

If you can't handle the heat...perhaps become a waiter.

This discussion happens in every sport I've participated in.

It is the same in cycling, Lance Armstrong never broke his collar bone in 7 years of Tour de France's. This last year, he breaks his collar bone at the Giro Italia...where was he?...mid-to-back of the pack!!!

--------------------
Jim Blaisdell
NASA FL Spec Miata Series Director
5XRacing Team Driver

cpdenis
Good Life Member

Region: 11
Car #: 09
Icon 1 posted  Profile for cpdenis     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Well said Denny.
Jim B. Lance Armsrong is not trying to make a position through the grass, or using the car ahead as a brake marker or trying to come back on track in the same position before he spun off, or trying to make an overzealous pass.
Many of the incidents I see are from cars coming back across the racing line, or continuing to role after hard contact.
This having to protest everything is ridiculous. I attended the driver school in Homestead last summer and several drivers passed under double yellows between Turns 6 and 8. Subsequently I overheard a student complain verbally to the head instructor at which point he was told to file a protest. Are you kidding, during a school, with instructors stationed at the corners. Everyone received their novice license that day.

disquek Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: New England
Car #: 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for disquek     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Jim,

With all due respect. The "protest or quit bitching" approach is how we got here. It's not the solution.

-Kyle

NASA Florida

Region: Florida Region of NASA
Car #: 711
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for NASA Florida   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

After reading this topic with much interest, I would like to offer an alternative that might work for a few of you. Whenever you have 50 or 60 cars on track at the same time, and 2 or 3 side by side through many corners, you are going to have metal to metal car contact no matter how strongly the event is policed.

At NASA Florida (NASA SE Section) we have a much smaller race group of Spec Miata race drivers, and it is easy for them to be considerate of each other on the track. Yes, we do emphasize safety and no metal to metal contact, but right now, with our class sizes, it is not a problem.

Maybe try running with a smaller group. We are trying very hard to accommodate the Spec Miata group of racers and are offering special rates, trophy presentations on Sat., Happy Social Hour with FREE COLD BEER and Free Pizza at the Social. We offer over 3 hours of track time over the 3-day weekend coming up on Dec 12 & 13 for $300. The Spec Miata Group will have their own start in December, and starting in January will have their own "Small Bore" run group. For more information:
https://www.nasaproracing.com/event/996

Thanks, and hope to pass you soon! : ^ )

Steve Nix

quote:
YOU CAN NOT RELY ON SCCA ALONE TO HANDLE THIS..
... or at all. [duck]

Speaking of NASA, I was at the inaugural NASA Championship. We were told that ANY contact may result in the early end to your weekend. We all believed this and took the message to heart. The event was some of the cleanest, most fun racing I've ever been in.

It wouldn't take much for any sanctioning body, at any event, to repeat this; clearly state the rules and swiftly back it up with action.

If 'that guy' continuously got sent home, without refund, for the remainder of the weekend after boning another driver in a Saturday a.m. qualifier, I bet he/she would get the message after a while.

P.S. I don't think this is an SM issue only, or that we're asking for special treatment, this should be applied to all classes.

Teamfour Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: WDCR
Car #: 04
Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Teamfour   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

This thread reminds me of why I like our local track's 13/13 rule.

--------------------
Lee Tilton
1993 Meowta #04
Brimtek Motorsports/ Team Four Racing
Team Four Racing

Qik Nip Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Loose Member '09 & '10 Great Lakes Regional Points Champion

Region: Cincinnati Great Lakes
Car #: 60
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Qik Nip     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
B) Protest people who are unsafe

E)don't bitch and moan if you have never protested anyone for rough driving.

[/QB]

Jim:
I've protested two drivers in six years. Both incidents were ruled a racing incident. Both were anything but. That aside, what Denny said +1.
Rick

--------------------
Fortune Cookie Racing SM 60
Directions for use: Race, Rumple, Repair ... Repeat!

Cajun Miata Man Verified Driver
Overdog Driver

Region: Houston; SWDIV
Car #: 15
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Cajun Miata Man     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by disquek:
Jim,

With all due respect. The "protest or quit bitching" approach is how we got here. It's not the solution.

-Kyle

Kyle,

And respectively, moaning about it on SM.com will do nothing either. People have to step up and take action if it matters to them. Complaining about it and hoping another will pursue the crusade will resolve nothing.

I have hit and been hit a few times over the years. In all cases the issue was resolved satisfactory, either by a learning discussion or my protest in which the drivers were penalized.

Individual effort was required for all cases. I didn't expect and the steward did not initiate the actions.

--------------------
James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA