Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Spec Miata Archives » Spec Miata 2001-2009 » Garage heat

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Garage heat
Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Any recommendations for how to heat a garage without asphixiating yourself? The cold has set in. It's damn cold in there.

Last winter I wore enough layers to stop a bullet. I thought about one of those big propane bazooka heaters but then thought about all the people who died when we had a power outage and they used grilles etc. to heat their houses. I'm thinking it's cold but dont be that guy.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Zauskycop Verified Driver

Region: Chicago
Car #: 45
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Zauskycop     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

http://www3.modine.com/v2portal/page/portal/modi...t_level_3_content_013.htm

...is what I have...and I love it.

Tracy Ramsey
Team Blenderblaster

--------------------
Tracy Ramsey
Team Blenderblaster

Jeff Longo Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: NER
Car #: 46
Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jeff Longo     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Keith,
If you like, send a pm with particulars regarding your garage,... size, framing, floor, etc. and I'd be glad to make recommendations.
BTW propane space heaters = carbon monoxide = headaches + much worse.
Jeff

--------------------
LTD Racing
Chief Of Inappropriate Comments

Glenn Verified Driver

Region: CCR
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Glenn     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Pellet Stove vented through the wall!

--------------------
Glenn
Crew chief Meathead Racing, NE Region Sales Division Race Engineering, The GOLD standard in SM engines, Occasional race slave for OPM Autosports

Eric Barbaric Verified Driver

Region: Kansas City
Car #: 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Eric Barbaric   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

+1 Pellet Stove
Cheap pellets from Tractor Supply.

thewolf

Icon 1 posted  Profile for thewolf   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

check out garagejournal.com it is the specmiata.com for garages.

--------------------
Mark
http://www.p1-2day.com
The source for indoor karting
http://www.driverelement.com

Ken Nesbit

Region: WDCR
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Ken Nesbit     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

My wife picked me up a small heater that hangs from the ceiling, requires 240 volts that works great. I didn't want an open flame which is why I went electric. I keep it around 50 - 55 degrees then turn it up when I'm in it working, it throws out way more heat than I need. it's a little pricy at about $350 - $400 and adds about $50 a month to the electric bill, but I was paying more than that with kerosene and don't have the smell and flame now.

Greg Bush Verified Driver
Thread Killer

Region: NW/OR
Car #: 04
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Greg Bush     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I have an electric IR heater that hangs from the ceiling. I point it at the bench when I'm there, and at the car otherwise.

It takes less energy to heat the target of the IR heater than to heat all the air and everything else in the garage.

The air temp will go up a little but it feels like a warm sunny day when you are under the heater. I can also open the garage door if using chemicals or running the car without losing the warm work area.

It takes about a minute to get warm. It uses some power, but only when I'm using it. This is the only way to go unless you have a well insulated garage.

I couldn't find it on the website but I bought it at Lowes or HD for about $100.

dsrgr Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Las Vegas
Car #: 2
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for dsrgr     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Ken..... More info please.... Name of heater, where to get, etc...

Ken Nesbit

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Ken Nesbit     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Hey dsrgr, she got it at Grainger I'll look tonight and get the part number off of it for you.

Ken Nesbit

Ok, here you go: http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/4E169?Pid=search

it looks like the price went up a little, but I've had mine for several years and had no problems. 24' x 24' garage and with the thermostat about half way it'll get it up into the 80's in the garage (insulated) with no problem.

dsrgr Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Las Vegas
Car #: 2
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for dsrgr     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thanks Ken..... Found a slightly smaller unit at Home Depot for $222... Now to see how it works...

Dusty Bottoms Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
99 all the way!

Region: Lone Star
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dusty Bottoms     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Greg Bush:
I have an electric IR heater that hangs from the ceiling. I point it at the bench when I'm there, and at the car otherwise.

It takes less energy to heat the target of the IR heater than to heat all the air and everything else in the garage.

The air temp will go up a little but it feels like a warm sunny day when you are under the heater. I can also open the garage door if using chemicals or running the car without losing the warm work area.

It takes about a minute to get warm. It uses some power, but only when I'm using it. This is the only way to go unless you have a well insulated garage.

I couldn't find it on the website but I bought it at Lowes or HD for about $100.

This one?
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xr5/R-10059...eId=10051&catalogId=10053

--------------------
"Your victory is tainted! Asterisk! Asterisk!!!"--Lisa Simpson

Thread Killer

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Greg Bush     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

That is the same wattage as mine, but more upscale. It would work fine.

Mine is indoor only and has a flat profile making it easier to aim while hanging from a u-bracket.

jbenoit28 Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: CFR
Car #: 28
SMIM: .
Icon 1 posted  Profile for jbenoit28     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I had to use a long sleeve T-shirt last weekend to keep the chill away in my garage. It was down to 68 degrees in there! [Razz]

If I had an insulated door it might not be so bad.

--------------------
What does this button do??

SAE113 Verified Driver

Region: Central Florida
Car #: 01 & 99
Year : '92 & '94
Icon 1 posted  Profile for SAE113     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by jbenoit28:
I had to use a long sleeve T-shirt last weekend to keep the chill away in my garage. It was down to 68 degrees in there! [Razz]

If I had an insulated door it might not be so bad.

Damn it must be nice to live in south florida. last weekend up here in the north it was in the low 60s and i had to wear pants and a sweatshirt. [Frown]

--------------------
Steven Elicati
'92 Protege ITA#01
'94 Miata ITA#99

jbenoit28 Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: CFR
Car #: 28
SMIM: .
Icon 1 posted  Profile for jbenoit28     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Steve,

You Florida Yankee's got it rough. I heard we are going to have another cold snap this weekend. Might be down to the low 70's by Saturday. Have to break out the Florida Parka to go with my flipflops.

Joe

[laughing]

--------------------
What does this button do??

SAE113 Verified Driver

Region: Central Florida
Car #: 01 & 99
Year : '92 & '94
Icon 1 posted  Profile for SAE113     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

you'd think the cold wouldn't bother me considering i've endured 42 new york winters but now when it gets below 60 i can't stand to go outside.

--------------------
Steven Elicati
'92 Protege ITA#01
'94 Miata ITA#99

Thread Killer

My heater actually gives me a tan, so it feels like Florida without all the drawbacks.

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

On a practical note, since this storm seems to be heading across the country in a hurry, for those of you who haven't done so aleady, now might be a good time to pull the distilled and water wetter out of the radiator and add some antifreeze.

(Oh and you "warm state" folks...yuk it up now. I watch the Discovery Channel. When the 2012 apocolypse brings the next ice age, we'll be warm and toasty in our 6 layers of clothes while you're roaming the frozen tundra in a golf cart wearing flip flops and long sleeve T's and trying to build a fire out of frozen possums to stay warm. We will have our comeuppance!!!)

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Kim Ouye Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Retired Racer

Region: SFR
Car #: 82/73
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kim Ouye     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Started working in the garage this AM with 32 deg temps. I don't have a heater so I just closed the doors and started the cars and let them run...for...a...whil

--------------------
Kim

91 BRG SMT RIP
06 MX-5 Cup

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting 'Holy sh*t...what a ride!'" - Unknown

willy_1959 Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Milwaukee+Midwest council madison club
Car #: 36
Year : 93
Icon 1 posted  Profile for willy_1959   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Zauskycop:
http://www3.modine.com/v2portal/page/portal/modi...t_level_3_content_013.htm

...is what I have...and I love it.

Tracy Ramsey
Team Blenderblaster

made in my home town (well at least the Co is here, no clue where its made anymore!)

--------------------
http://btdtracing.com - Miata Parts

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: