Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Spec Miata Archives » Spec Miata 2001-2009 » RX8 suspension

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: RX8 suspension
kevin 22 Verified Driver

Region: NYR
Car #: 22
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for kevin 22     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I can't find any info on the internet, everything seems to be geared towards the tuner crowd.I want something a bit more series. I want to start doing some track days with the RX8. But I am not sure what to install. I want to leave the engine alone and just concentrate on Suspension. I wish they made a kit for the RX8 like the spec miata.
anyone have any experience?

--------------------
Kevin Anderson

Gatoratty Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Central Florida
Car #: 3
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Try google "rx-8 suspension" Even Sears carries the Eibach kit
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02855...01&sid=IDx20070921x00003a

http://www.good-win-racing.com/Mazda-Performance-Parts/RX8/Suspension.html

--------------------
Paul McLester

Vick Verified Driver
Do they sell spec training wheels?

Car #: 12
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Vick     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

didn't the latest grassroots or sportscar talk about modifying a RX-8 for autocross? wonder if that would help.

--------------------
http://www.volko.com

kevin 22 Verified Driver

Icon 1 posted  Profile for kevin 22     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

your right, I just found the issue, Seems they installed a set of $4000 coil overs alone. That is more then I want to spend. I would like to spend maybe $1500-$2000 on coilovers and sway bars...tops. and actually less if possible.

--------------------
Kevin Anderson

Gatoratty Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Central Florida
Car #: 3
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I would call Good Win racing and ask them what they suggest for your budget and goals.

--------------------
Paul McLester

Greg Garneau

Region: SF
Car #: 99
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Greg Garneau     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Be careful about going too far... the car will quickly become very unpleasant for anything but track use. I am part of the pace car team at Mazda Raceway as well as maintain the 3 pace cars for Mazda. Our RX8 pace car has all the suspension bits available through Mazdaspeed, shocks/struts, springs and sway bars (with solid end links). The car is a VERY capable track car that is a blast to drive. It sits low, runs 18" wheels and is still pretty livable on the street. After 5 years and over 13k (mostly track) miles of abuse, it is still tight and performing strong. I should point out, besides being a saftey car, it is used for VIP pace car rides, where we go all out and do our best to give thrill rides to important people for 30-40mins several times a day during the big events.

Alberto M Goncalves

Region: SFR
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Alberto M Goncalves     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

What Greg said. [Smile]

Good Win Racing is a good source. AutoRND also has suspension, rims and brakes for the car. PettitRacing.com and RX7.com is also a good RX source.

Plenty of people do fine with off the shelf Konis and springs. Coilovers are usually less comfy than Konis and springs on the street unless you spend some bucks for the coilovers that have well designed shocks.

Edit - just noticed your budget. For that budget, go with Konis and Springs. They work well and are durable. Any coilovers for that price will be junk and won't last.

kevin 22 Verified Driver

good advice, let me look into this some more.

--------------------
Kevin Anderson

Vick Verified Driver
Do they sell spec training wheels?

Car #: 12
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Vick     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by kevin 22:
your right, I just found the issue, Seems they installed a set of $4000 coil overs alone.

Whoops sorry Kevin. I didn't claim to read the article, just saw it as I was flipping through.

Of course if you bring that to track events I won't be able to try to follow your line anymore. There goes that learning plan.

--------------------
http://www.volko.com

Andy Bettencourt Verified Driver
www.flatout-motorsports.com

Region: NER
Car #: 09 ITA
Year : 90, 91, 94 Rentals
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Andy Bettencourt   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Kev...let's talk.

--------------------
Andy Bettencourt
Flatout Motorsports
www.flatout-motorsports.com

Mitch Taylor

Region: FLA
Car #: 97
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mitch Taylor     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

speedsource in sunrise florida, they have info. in grass roots motorssports. They are rx-8 racing, just watch the petite lemans seriers.

Sylvan is a great guy.

fleming Made Donation to Website

Region: northeast
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for fleming     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

here's a suggestion.. these guys usually show up
at NASA-SE and NASA midatlantic events. They
race RX-8s, really nice people.

http://www.racewithroar.com

They probably might be able to tell you some
good information on suspension setup.

Just becareful about RX8s on the track, a few
people have managed to melt the rear bumper cover. Don't bump draft one either, it might
cause you to have your front bumper cover
melted.
[boggled]

--------------------
"where one ends, one shall begin".

Chris Windsor Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
windsorcustoms.com

Region: WDCR,
Car #: 38
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Chris Windsor   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Tom at http://www.partsgroup.com/ would be a good source they just won the ARRC enduro and the 9 hour at RA

--------------------
2011 Season schedule coming soon
Support, sales, repair or rental
windsorcustoms.com

Tom Neel

Region: TVR
Car #: 57
Year : 2000
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Tom Neel   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Kevin,
I have built & raced two RX8's in SCCA as well as NASA this past year and came up with an excellent budget custom Koni shock package that duplicates the KONI Challenge shock package but with more shock travel and steel bodies as opposed to aluminum bodies. The cost is actually half the price of the KONI Challenge shock package. We just ran the same set up at the ARRC enduro & the 9 Hour NASA race at Atlanta this past week and won both races. Feel free to call me at my shop if you still need any help. We will have another rental car available in another month if you would like to see how the shock package feels.

--------------------
TOM NEEL
SM #57,ITR RX8 #57
http://www.PartsGroup.com
Your Source for Used Miata & RX8 Parts

Lance Snyder Made Donation to Website
Administrator

Region: Atlanta
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Lance Snyder     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Tom.. that setup is nice, car looked very stable when being pushed.

--------------------
All this has happened before, and will happen again

Gibscreen Verified Driver Series Champ

Region: NASA-SoCal
Car #: 23
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gibscreen   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Mitch:
speedsource in sunrise sflorida, they have info. on grass roots motorssports. They are rx-8 racing, just watch the petite lemans seriers.

Sylvan is a great guy.

Sylvain is a great guy and he may have info on RX-8 mods, but don't confuse the RX-8s they run in the Rolex series with the RX-8 you buy from Mazda. They run a tube frame chassis with carbon fiber RX-8 body panels. I doubt they use any part from an actual RX-8.

Rober Davis Racing in Huntington Beach may be a good source. They run a bunch of RX-8s in SoCal. They have entries in PTB, PTC and PTD.

--------------------
Rob Gibson
RJ Racing
2010 NASA Nationals TTE Champion
2008/2009 WERC Champion
2007 NASA SoCal SM Champion
rjracing.net
Weekend-Racer.com

BrianC Verified Driver

Region: Oregon
Car #: #95
Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for BrianC     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I will give another vote to Goodwin Racing. A friend of mine has KW Variant 3 coilovers on his car. The ride on the street is good and he managed a trophy in STX at the Solo Nationals this year.

Brian C.

--------------------
Oregon Region #95 White SM

JIM DANIELS

Icon 1 posted    Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I can do a few Mods. I race for RDR in Huntington Beach.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: