Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Spec Miata Archives » Spec Miata 2001-2009 » Vehicle Shipping Tips/Pricing

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Vehicle Shipping Tips/Pricing
Tvance13

Car #: 85
Year : 2001
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Tvance13   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Looking for a cost effective way to ship a race car from CA to PA. Any advice is sincerely appreciated.

--------------------
http://TylerVanceRacing.com

Chris Taylor

Region: LSR
Car #: Yours?
Year : will race 4 food
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Chris Taylor   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Make sure whoever you talk to isn't a broker. Ask if they're an owner/driver, if they say no, ask if they actually own any trucks.

There's more than one reason for this. Most of the time a broker is a guy in an office with a computer. Doesn't own a truck, doesn't lease a truck... he just takes suckers money, posts the load on Central Dispatch and has the cheapest bidder haul it. WHEN something gets broken, bent, or scratched, it becomes next to impossible to get their insurance to cover it -- DOT can't park a broker if they let their insurance lapse, they WILL park a truck if they don't have coverage. If a trucker breaks something or bends the hell out of the car, you might have to wrestle it out of them but you'll get their insurance info eventually.

That's a rough route. I know lots of trucks that run from CA->TX->CA and even more than run TX->OH/PA->TX but none that do both. If you get real desperate shoot me a PM or an email and I can put you in touch with one of my buddies that does intrastate Texas stuff but has a brokers license -- at least that way you've got an honest person doing the brokering and he can steer clear of anybody on Central with black marks on their record.

Another reasonable option that's sometimes affordable is DAS. They have a network of depots, effectively, and if you can deliver the car to the depot and pick it up from one they're usually fairly cheap. My main complaint is that the same car will get offloaded and reloaded several times, some routes as many as 4 or 5, which gives even more opportunity to mess something up.

--------------------
http://www.taylorrotorsports.com

Pat Newton Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Enduro addict

Region: Northwest, Oregon
Car #: 79
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Pat Newton   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I shipped a BMW from Jacksonville FL to Seattle earlier this year, using Exotic Car Transport out of Orlando. It was spendy, but the service was great and the car came out of the (enclosed) semi-trailer as flawless as it went in. Highly recommended.

http://www.exoticcartransport.com/

--------------------
Crew Chief, 3D Racing #64, aka Team Scrappy 2.0
3rd place E2, 2009 25 Hours of Thunderhill

Crew Chief, EGR/Miller Motorsports #64, aka Team Scrappy
E2 Champions, 2008 25 Hours of Thunderhill

David Dewhurst
Veteran Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for David Dewhurst     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Send an e-mail to Jim Drago. He ships his cars at times by car haulers & being he's in the salvage business he knows the ins & outs.

--------------------
Have Fun [Wink]

David Dewhurst
CenDiv
Milwaukee Region
Spec Miata #14

Steve D. Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Once you get past the gag reflex, the jelly ain't bad!

Region: Atlanta
Car #: 30
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Steve D.     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I used Intercity Lines for a Boston-to-Atlanta run. Like Pat's option, their enclosed, pampered transport may be overkill for a race car.

Michael53

Region: NEOKLA
Car #: 53
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Michael53     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Maybe I'm the exception but I've had very good luck using brokers who post on central dispatch. I've had cars sent here to Oklahoma from Florida, New York, Texas, Georgia, Kansas, 2 from California, and 2 from Colorado. It's gotten to be pretty competitive so the service level has gotten much better in the last couple years. You shouldn't have to front any money until your car is actually booked/scheduled with an owner/operator for pickup. The broker generally takes his $100-$200 via credit card when he's booked your ride and you hand the truck driver his $400-$600 cash when he delivers the car. All that said I've never had one picked up or delivered when they initially said they would. Usually you get the driver's cell phone number from the broker and you call them tell 'em to forget the BS they told the broker and tell YOU when they REALLY plan to pick up/deliver the car. Moving cars is all these guys do for a living and most of the ones that are left do a pretty good job. My 2cents - Mike

Drago Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: mid south
Car #: 2
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Tvance13:
Looking for a cost effective way to ship a race car from CA to PA. Any advice is sincerely appreciated.

Tyler
I am a broker on Central Dispatch as I buy so many cars from all over it was cheaper to just become a member. I will list it for you if you want.
Send me email with zipcodes
Jim

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com
2006-2007 Mid-West Division
07,09 June Sprints Champion

EAST STREET RACING

Jeremy Pike

Region: SFR
Car #: 89
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jeremy Pike     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

rt66autoshippers@yahoo.com Rafal is his name. they just shipped a subaru from IL to CA for me. Good price and timely. Worth shootin an email to.

Alberto M Goncalves

Region: SFR
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Alberto M Goncalves     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Coincidentally, I need to ship a car NY to CA. Timely thread.

Bill Pruitt Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
You know you miss him...

Region: WMR
Car #: 18
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Bill Pruitt     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Tip:
Make sure the car is in neutral whilst being shipped, as it would (should) be if you were hauling it yourself.

Chris Taylor

Region: LSR
Car #: Yours?
Year : will race 4 food
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Chris Taylor   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Michael53:
Moving cars is all these guys do for a living and most of the ones that are left do a pretty good job. My 2cents - Mike

It's actually quite the opposite, even though the price per mile is absolutely in the shitter (I'm making less than half what I did a year ago per mile) there seems to just be more and more bandit haulers popping up all the time.

I just had somebody show up with an F150 and a U-haul to pick up a car that was put on Central. [Confused]

Definitely hit Drago up. If anybody damages the car you've got him to blame!

--------------------
http://www.taylorrotorsports.com

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: