Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Spec Miata Archives » Spec Miata 2001-2009 » Runoffs Qualifying Change (Page 2)

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic
Page 2 of 2 1  2 

Author Topic: Runoffs Qualifying Change
pat slattery Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: cincy
Car #: 79
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for pat slattery     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I don't think it will make that much of a difference in entries, but it does take some of the prestige of qualifying to compete at the runoffs.

--------------------
keeping the faith for the 1.6

Arrow Karts

Blake Clements Verified Driver Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: SW - Houston
Car #: 6
Year : 99, 96
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Blake Clements   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I've seen a few people talk about the prestige of qualifying for the Runoffs. Besides SM and SRF, if you run your races you are basically a shoe in to qualify for the Runoffs in most divisions. Even in SM/SRF, its easy enough to pick a "low turnout" division to qualify easily for the Runoffs.

I honestly don't think it is going to change much, but then again, I'm a Larry.

--------------------
Blake Clements

PhillipsRacePrep/SP Induction Systems/East Street Racing/MiataCage.com/Carbotech/WBR Graphics

www.blakeclements.com

wheel Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: kc
Car #: 20
Icon 1 posted  Profile for wheel     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Qualifying for the Runoffs is not nearly the problem it was before Cendiv was divided. There were many classes in Cendiv that had cars traveling to MAM and HPT for late races to grab some easy points to move up a slot or two.

motorrock

Region: DC Region
Icon 1 posted  Profile for motorrock     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by NER88:
Lance, I think your missing something.
There is no difference in quality of drivers between National and regional, it's the same guys.
Do you think after 4 regional races you are a better driver? because that's all it takes to go National.
If I'm not mistaken there was a young man running at the runoffs that was only 16 1/2.
So, in 6 month he did 2 drivers schools, 4 regionals and 4 nationals, what makes him better?

Hey Jerry, do you know who this 16.5 yo was?

--------------------
philstireservice.com
philstireservice@aol.com

Drago Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: mid south
Car #: 2
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by pat slattery:
I don't think it will make that much of a difference in entries, but it does take some of the prestige of qualifying to compete at the runoffs.

Prestige? You only needed 4 starts in GLD in 09 to qualify for the Runoffs last year. As a matter of fact, you didn't even qualify 10 cars in your division, Only Seven. The winner of your division raced only 4 times! Basically four starts you are in now.

How about Midwest, my home...
Only seven drivers qualified... If you ran 4 races or more,you would most likely be in.

Cendiv
A little better, they qualified 8 cars... They did have three cars outside the top ten with 4 or more races.

Rocky Mountain
They qualified 6 cars

NE
They don't list starts, lots of cars, but few come to the Runoffs

South Pac
They don't list starts, lots of cars, but few come to the Runoffs

Nor Pac

They qualified only eight drivers with none with four finishes outside the top 10

SW
One of the most competitive divisions... Well you show up and finish four races last year and you basically qualified for the Runoffs. Ten cars did qualify, but no cars outside the top ten with four races

SE
The most competitive division in SM. They qualified 10 cars and six more that had four or more races...

So even in SM, one of the strongest classes in the SCCA, in all divisions except SE, you basically just show up and finish four races and you are qualified for the Runoffs. Outside the SE, the "prestige of qualifying" is way over rated IMO. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com
2006-2007 Mid-West Division
07,09 June Sprints Champion

EAST STREET RACING

Ramjet 8 Verified Driver

Region: MWD
Car #: 91
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Ramjet 8     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

My sentiments exactly !!!!!!! Now lets get it cut down from a week to 4 qual sessions in two days and race on the third day.

MegaModerator

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Ramjet 8:
My sentiments exactly !!!!!!! Now lets get it cut down from a week to 4 qual sessions in two days and race on the third day.

Amen, my feelings exactly, but not many above my pay grade support that. There are also contracts with RA being a week long event etc. Maybe when we renew the Runoffs contract?
Butch Kummer put a proposal where there basically two 3 or 4 day events run back to back.
Day 1 one practice/one qualifying(or two quals)
Day 2 2 qualifying sessions
day 3 warm up /race
Then start the schedule ovcr again for next group. Each year the groups would flip flop so all get equal weekend time. My feelings is put the most popular classes on the weekend so any spectators would see the best races, but that is another story

Jim

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com

EAST STREET RACING

Dusty Bottoms Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
99 all the way!

Region: Lone Star
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dusty Bottoms     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

First half of the week=formula cars
Second half of the week=door slammers
(or some sort of split like that)
There, not only does that give you a 1 week event, now you have more track time packed into a shorter time for each group and you only have to be there for a short period of time. Hotel demand should go down a bit and make prices more reasonable.

--------------------
"Your victory is tainted! Asterisk! Asterisk!!!"--Lisa Simpson

MegaModerator

I think time demand is huge concern. Many have 2-3 weeks vacation or run businesses etc. Besides the several Fridays most miss to make the events during the year. Then try and tell your wife that you have no vacation time left to take for a family vacation as the Runoffs is coming:)

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com

EAST STREET RACING

Matt Reynolds

Region: Southwest
Car #: 74
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Matt Reynolds     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

So i can get more track time for a cheaper price and still qualify for a national championship... thanks NASA. [thumbsup]

AND Sebastian Loeb and Kyle Busch in formula one?? Alonso to ferrari? maybe i should give it a shot

--------------------
Reynolds Brothers Racing/Prodigy Motorsports/Race Engineering/Carbotech Brakes

Cajun Miata Man Verified Driver
Overdog Driver

Region: Houston; SWDIV
Car #: 15
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Cajun Miata Man     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Drago:
quote:

Prestige? You only needed 4 starts in GLD in 09 to qualify for the Runoffs last year. As a matter of fact, you didn't even qualify 10 cars in your division, Only Seven. The winner of your division raced only 4 times! Basically four starts you are in now.

SW
One of the most competitive divisions... Well you show up and finish four races last year and you basically qualified for the Runoffs. Ten cars did qualify, but no cars outside the top ten with four races

I found that thirteen drivers outside the top ten had 4 or more races with our points keeper, but who's counting. [Razz]

--------------------
James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA
powered by:
East Street Racing, Memphis TN
set up guru:
Gilfus Racing, Austin TX

Danny Steyn Verified Driver

Region: SE
Car #: 39
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Danny Steyn   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

it's the TIME that is needed to compete at the runoffs is a BIG turnoff for me. I like the idea of running nationals, but do not like the 7-10 days needed for the runoffs (allowing for travel etc.)

Whether you are an employee or run your own business - this is a HUGE investment.

You are dedicating at least 5 workdays to do the runoffs - this equates to five weekend races taking Friday as leave. And I am sure that I will have more fun on 5 race weekends, and gain more in terms of racecraft and experience from 5 weekends than I will from the Runoffs.

--------------------
Danny
http://www.dannysteyn.com
http://www.adeptstudios.com
OPM Autosports | Traqmate | Rossini Racing Engines
2010 June Sprints Champ, 2010 ARRC SMX Champ
2009 SARRC Champ, 2009 SEDiv ECR Champ, 2009 FES Champ
2008 SEDiv ECR Champ

MegaModerator

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Blake Clements   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Danny Steyn:
it's the TIME that is needed to compete at the runoffs is a BIG turnoff for me. I like the idea of running nationals, but do not like the 7-10 days needed for the runoffs (allowing for travel etc.)

For some of us, its our whole Holiday allottment for the year. [Frown]

--------------------
Blake Clements

PhillipsRacePrep/SP Induction Systems/East Street Racing/MiataCage.com/Carbotech/WBR Graphics

www.blakeclements.com

MegaModerator

What day is SM at the Runoffs this year?

--------------------
Blake Clements

www.blakeclements.com

Icon 1 posted  Profile for wheel     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Personally, I like the full week, but I'm self employed, semi-retired, and the time is not a burden for me. But, I can certainly understand that is not true for most. It probably won't happen until time for the track contract renewal, in two years, but shortening the time required to compete makes a ton a sense, to me.
wheel

Dave Gomberg

Region: WDC
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dave Gomberg     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Blake Clements:

The 2010 Runoffs schedule won't be known until April.

Dave

MegaModerator

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Gomberg:
quote:
Originally posted by Blake Clements:

The 2010 Runoffs schedule won't be known until April.

Dave

Isn't there a cycle or something? SM was on Saturday last year.

--------------------
Blake Clements

www.blakeclements.com

There has never been any pattern. AS was on Saturday the first eight times I ran. Then it has moved a couple of times.
wheel

Dave Gomberg

Region: WDC
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dave Gomberg     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by wheel:
There has never been any pattern. AS was on Saturday the first eight times I ran. Then it has moved a couple of times.
wheel

In the last few years, there was an attempt to rotate the races through the three days. However, there have been so many changes in format due to various BoD decisions and venues, there hasn't been enough stability to do that. With yet another set of changes for 2010, rotating days will be one factor in deciding when each class races, but there are other competing demands on the schedule.

Dave

Qik Nip Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Loose Member '09 & '10 Great Lakes Regional Points Champion

Region: Cincinnati Great Lakes
Car #: 60
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Qik Nip     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Danny Steyn:
it's the TIME that is needed to compete at the runoffs is a BIG turnoff for me. You are dedicating at least 5 workdays to do the runoffs -

What Danny said. I can't imagine investing a week to run one race. NASA (again) gets it right.
Rick
P.S. I hold both licenses and run more SCCA events than NASA.

--------------------
Fortune Cookie Racing SM 60
Directions for use: Race, Rumple, Repair ... Repeat!

davew Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: chicago
Car #: 72 and ?
Year : 90 and 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for davew   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I know of 2 drivers who would have attended last year. They had points, they had finishes, BUT they finished outside the top 10 in cendiv. yet 2 of the top 10 did not qualify (not enough races) and not all of the qualified drivers went to the Runoffs. They even wrote letters to BoD asking for permission and where shot down.

Road America can hold 100 cars, SM had 38 ;-(
At the Formula Ford reunion they started 112 cars;->>>

I see no reason not to open the event up to anyone who wants to make the investment.

Dave

--------------------
Advanced Autosports, The Midwests leader in Spec Miata Service, Parts and Rentals
608-313-1230
Authorised Spec Miata service center
www.advanced-autosports.com

Willie the Tard Verified Driver

Region: NASA Texas
Car #: 8
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Willie the Tard   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by PedalFaster:
Everyone on the thread seems to agree that this will result in as many or more people going to the Runoffs next year than this year. What I don't understand is why people think this will make the Runoffs less prestigious. Isn't it more impressive to beat more people than fewer?

Other than one (BFC) most that go under this change are going to be also rans like me -- so yes, for the folks that go and do not win is will be much less prestigious

--------------------
William Keeling a.k.a. Willie the Tard

MegaModerator

About 20 different opinions... We can always see what happens this year. If it doesnt get more cars or weakens teh event, we can always tweak it again. look at F1, they changed the points system how many times now? [Big Grin]

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com

EAST STREET RACING

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Willie the Tard   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
quote:

SW

So even in SM, one of the strongest classes in the SCCA, in all divisions except SE, you basically just show up and finish four races and you are qualified for the Runoffs. Outside the SE, the "prestige of qualifying" is way over rated IMO. [Roll Eyes]

???? 2009 I SW finished 7 races with a lowly 4 points in tie for 21st place. So next year an a-hole like me can be at the big show. That is so wrong!

I agree that due the low level of participation in most classes/divisions this is no real change -- that is why I suggested that class invites per division be weighted to divisional class field size. Something like for every 3 average class field size is one invite.

--------------------

Willie,
My first Runoffs (1998), I qualified 28th, out of 40 cars. I finished 14th, due to spins, crashes, DQ's and actually passing a bunch of cars. I've been back every year, save one, since then. I wouldn't trade those races for anything. If you can afford the time and the expense, it is a total hoot. Do it.
wheel

MegaModerator

quote:
Originally posted by Willie the Tard:
quote:
quote:

SW

???? 2009 I SW finished 7 races with a lowly 4 points in tie for 21st place. So next year an a-hole like me can be at the big show. That is so wrong!

I agree that due the low level of participation in most classes/divisions this is no real change -- that is why I suggested that class invites per division be weighted to divisional class field size. Something like for every 3 average class field size is one invite.

The sole purpose of the rule change was to get you there! You have to come now [Big Grin]

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com

EAST STREET RACING

quote:
The sole purpose of the rule change was to get you there! You have to come now [Big Grin]

Riiiiight [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

No, really, I heard Drago say, "We have to do something, even the most insane, to get The Tard to the Runoffs."

David Dewhurst
Veteran Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for David Dewhurst     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Tard, don't go there. Their just trying to suck in the 1.6's. [rolling on floor laughin]

--------------------
Have Fun [Wink]

David Dewhurst
CenDiv
Milwaukee Region
Spec Miata #14

Page 2 of 2 1  2 

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: